• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First Street Bike. My story.

emorrisette

Tricycle
Coming from the dirt (DRZ-110, 125 and a 400) world I like to sit up and ride. I set out to buy the Honda NT700 when I walked over to the sales desk I saw the 2009 Councour14. I explained that all my friends told me to get a sports bike but I like a touring ride. Both bike same price. Score! I have both a touring ride and a sport ride. I picked up the C14 a two weeks ago I immediately ordered risers. I

A quick look at my signature shows the other bikes I have had. I started the "right way" - getting something small and working my way up. I consider my Connie my first "real" motorcycle. I live in Long Island NY, but bought it from a great guy in Indiana who had already modded it significantly - lighted trunk, Voltimeter, cigarette lighter, heated grips, Corbin Seat, Cee Bailey windshield, fuse box, cup holder, Audiovox Cruise control. So I thought - this is a real deal, I won't have to mod it anymore! Should of known I was wrong immediately, since I flew to pick it up with my Garmin Nuvi which we installed before I left. About 5 hours into the 19 hour drive, I knew a new seat or seat cushions would be on order (I purchased a stock seat and like it). Soon after that I knew I needed handlebar risers. By the end of the trip I could barely stand (peg lowers for my 35 inch inseam). Working my way through the city, I loved the power, but thought it could be more stable on rough surfaces (fork brace) and the brakes were a little spongy (new pads and steel brake lines). My job forces me to work at night (PIAA lights), and since it is warm my Cee Bailey blocks too much wind (Gustaffson Shorty Shield). Got it all done within a couple of months after getting home. Loved the fork brace so much I am getting Sonic Springs and cartridge emulators. I will try very, very hard not to buy a rear shock, and the words "7th gear mod" makes me nervous for my wallet. If I didn't hate the way the crash bars looked, I would already have those as well (CDA #323). I will stop modding this bike, probably after I sell it. I am actually thinking my C-10 is a little too heavy for daily use - and that I sjould save it for 2up and touring. I have my eyes on a used Multistrada - hopefully I will find one already fully modded.....

Welcome. Normal. ;) PS It would seem a large number of us came from the world of knobby tires. I used to modify my dirt bikes. Didn't you?

I got a dirt bike first and hurt myself a lot with that thing. I switched to street bike about two years later and have had good luck and a lot less pain. I guess I had an attitude problem at the time. Or was that Altitude. Photos[/url]

The only modification to the dirt bike was the Corbin seat for the DRZ400. Seat was good but since it cost $400 I took it off when I traded it in for the C14. It is on craigslist now. The dirt bike didn't need anything modified. Maybe I'm just getting old and picky.