• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

First time cross country trip

Redbarron

Street Cruiser
Hello Everyone.

I have an offer from friends of mine to head out to Nevada next summer May June 2019 time frame.

I live in NH and have never ridden outside of New England.

I have been watching Forty Times Around on you tube to get some ideas.

I plan on camping due to limited budget, the bike is a 2000 connie with 120K on her clock she is in good nick mechanically and I now her very well so that not a problem.  Her tools and other vital kibbles will be in a water tight pelican case bolted to a Givi tail rack.

I have been riding for over 25 so I have the experience required but this is alien territory for me.

Oh I will have the COG book with me and I will post my route when done just in case.

Any tips for a newbie would be most appreciated.          Thank You  :beerchug: :motonoises:

First, congratulations!  I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.  It'll be an adventure to share with your great grandkids.

I'd look for a scenic route to take, with much of it on back roads.  It's fun to ride through and stop at the small towns, the freeway bypassed years ago.  There will be things you will find you missed...and that'll give you a reason to go back again.

Weather will be perhaps your biggest variable to plan for.  Doesn't hurricane season start about then?  You probably won't experience the worst of the storm, but you could easily encounter some heavy rains on the outskirts.  Mountain passes could be entertaining too.  Perhaps take a more southerly route out, and take a chance on a more northerly return trip.  You could easily encounter snow.  That sucks on two wheels.

If you haven't already, check out the AMA's membership...you'll get "free" roadside assistance as part of the membership.

Chris

Since you mentioned camping, I’ve taken several
cross-country camping trips. As far as I’m concerned,
it’s the best way to travel and see the country.
But for a newbie, to eliminate a huge amount of
uncertainty and get yourself comfortable with the
whole camping-while-traveling routine, I strongly
recommend getting a KOA Campground guide
and using it to plan your trip.
Knowing where you’ll be spending the night and
condition of the facilities and available amenities
( all KOAs are virtually identical ) frees you to
relax and enjoy the ride to the fullest.

Congratulations. I'm taking my first cross country in about 2 weeks. I'm also in the 20+ years riding experience (28 I believe), was going to take my modded Yamaha R1 but just got a small problem with it (very high idle) so if I can't fix by next weekend, I will be taking my 2010 Concours with 118k on it. I have done many trips around the east that consist of 400-450 mile trips to get to a planned destination, camp as said destination for a few days while riding the area then riding back. this will be my first real motorcycle trip where there is plenty of unpacking and packing...camping 90% of the time.

I usually use this site to get ideas where the good roads are at.
http://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/motorbike-rides-in-united-states-/united-states-__3082.html

I just found this one and I'm still checking it out.
https://kurviger.de/en

I also have AAA and use their free paper maps to draw routes.

RedBaron, how fun.  You're a plan-far-ahead kind of guy so all logistics will very probably be good. 

Route:
* At this stage just make general destinations for the route out.  Like: Black Hills, southern Utah ...
* Get/buy a national park pass good for the year (or life, if you're old enough to qualify).
* I haven't camped in the east, so can't comment.  In general you might buzz out of your comfort zone (New England) and plan on a motel the first night so you could ride far on day one. 

Social:
* I try to meet people and always end up asking for their suggestions about overnight options and visitor spots for the next day.  These conversations are always positive and fun; people like to help others. 
* I wouldn't make camp reservations unless being near a city and a holiday, preferring flexibility; just me.  KOA suggestion a great option. 

Mechanical or out-of-gas issues:
* Like the above rider, I'm also a AAA member and speak highly of them.  I have the coverage add-on that covers MC's and has longer free towing distances. 
* Tire life is an obvious issue you'll be addressing.  You could plan on mounting a new set when reaching Black Hills or Colorado so you'll have prime rubber for those great Rocky Mtn roads, and the duration.
* If you walk to see sights, like I do, consider your riding footwear.  I wear comfortable hiking boots when riding; works for me - might work for your trip.

WOW I never thought about AAA and it's cheap!!!!  Never even heard of KOA so I have allot to learn study.

Rico I would definitely check out the You Tube channel I mentioned.

Thank you guys

Good for you Ray! When you hit CO, UT, AZ you give us a shout! Use your member handbook as most are willing to sponsor. I'll sure sponsor you in NV. Grab that RT66 somewhere. Not a great twisty road but full of history and Kitschy stuff. Prepare for the heat in summer. Avoid Kansas if possible  :) Go high or go low. SW area is standing by.  :great:

Redbarron said:
WOW I never thought about AAA and it's cheap!!!!  Never even heard of KOA so I have allot to learn study.

Rico I would definitely check out the You Tube channel I mentioned.

Thank you guys

I've seen a couple of his videos, but subscribed and will be watching a few every night until then.
Thanks