• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fixing loose saddlebags

Fred H.

On page 19 of the Fall 2010 issue of the Concourier, I published a short article on how to better secure your saddlebags without drilling holes in them and pinning them. Due to popular demand, I'm going to share that fix here.

The basic problem is that there is slop in the interface between the orange latch arm and the mounting point on the bike that it engages. So my fix is to simply get rid of that slop by tightening up the interface. I simply cut a small strip of some adhesive backed felt (like you put on the bottom of furniture to protect a wood floor) and put on the inside edge of the orange latch arm where it engages the "hook" on the bike. I then cut a square of velcro (furry side) and put it over the "hook" on the bike. This takes up the slack between the hook and the orange latch and tightens up the entire mount. Alternatively, you could probably use a thick piece of hard rubber in the orange latch if you could glue it in so it would stay.

Tightening up the bag in this manner helps prevent the rear of it from being able to lift up and disengage the side hooks and come off the bike.

I've also put up a photo gallery here showing some more pictures.

http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/baglatchfix

medium.jpg

medim.jpg

Thanks Fred!!  I joined COG a few days after this article was in the newsletter so i truly appreciate you sharing it on the forum!!

8)

In general or in concept you can get to old magazine articles from the library here.  You have to be a paid member and wait till the next newer issue is out before the older issue is put in.

smithr-scad said:
In general or in concept you can get to old magazine articles from the library here.  You have to be a paid member and wait till the next newer issue is out before the older issue is put in.

Yeah, i saw some of the others were available, but for some reason i had trouble finding Freds saddlebag article.  Im still working on finding my way around as well.  thank you for the info.