• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Flight 93 Memorial visit during 2019 National

gsjay

While working on routes for the 2019 National we looked at going south to the Flight 93 Memorial near Somerset, PA.
https://www.nps.gov/flni/index.htm

It's a LONG ride and won't be much fun!

So, we're suggesting that anyone coming from the South that wants to visit the Memorial try to work it into their route heading north to rally.
Somerset, PA offers many lodging chocies if you wanted to lay up there and Williamsport would be a nice day ride.
https://www.laurelhighlands.org/

I live about 15 miles from the Memorial and would be glad to offer suggestions on lodging and routes north.

Somerset could also be a jumping off point to visit Frank Lloyd Wrights famous home Falling Water.
https://www.laurelhighlands.org/things-to-do/arts-culture/frank-lloyd-wright/

BOOK THOSE ROOMS
jason

Jason, have been there twice, but not since it has been completed, so will probably be running down there anyway to pay my respects and see what they've done. I also need to hit the sheriff's office in Somerset to pick up my PA carry permit, so it will be a trip worth taking.

FLight 93 memorial is really sobering. Been through a lot of presidential homes, national cemeteries, Gettysburg, Bull Run etc but that and the Wall in DC are the 2 places that left me sobbing.

If someone is coming to National but needs to stop a little short we have used Judy's Motel in Bedford PA on several occasions. Cheap, clean, old school and HOT water. Nice proprietors. http://judysmotel.com/ Good place to crash if you need an overnight.

I think making it down there from the National is a long trip, not sure I could make the trip back after a good cry. Great stories died on that plane. The Rugby player that was on there is one of the strongest stories I have ever read/heard.

freebird6 said:
FLight 93 memorial is really sobering. Been through a lot of presidential homes, national cemeteries, Gettysburg, Bull Run etc but that and the Wall in DC are the 2 places that left me sobbing.

If someone is coming to National but needs to stop a little short we have used Judy's Motel in Bedford PA on several occasions. Cheap, clean, old school and HOT water. Nice proprietors. http://judysmotel.com/ Good place to crash if you need an overnight.

I think making it down there from the National is a long trip, not sure I could make the trip back after a good cry. Great stories died on that plane. The Rugby player that was on there is one of the strongest stories I have ever read/heard.

Been there to the Flight memorial twice, once early on and once a year or so ago. Very moving and well done. Sobering is an apt descriptor.

Judy's Motel in Bedford is a keeper. That's where I and my groomsmen stayed the night before my wedding in 1980. I think it looks the same, but the locals all say it's still good, a classic "mom & pop."

For those who will make the trip, I highly recommend the tour provided by the ranger on site....was there 2 years ago, and my first time was the day before it officially opened.  As a first responder I NEEDED to be there....

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

When my wife and I were at the national rally in Johnstown we visited the site and it was a large fence with items attached to it.  From what I see it is a full blown memorial now.  I need to go back and check it out again.  It was very moving though when standing on the open field.  Worth the visit

This was 2004

32252506.0001aDSCF0148.JPG

We (me, Eddie Minter, Lane Harrison) rode up there during the 2007 National Rally (WV). It was still an "informal" monument but was under construction.  Very somber and sobering site.  God Bless America and its heroes.  :'(

Ranger Jim said:
We (me, Eddie Minter, Lane Harrison) rode up there during the 2007 National Rally (WV). It was still an "informal" monument but was under construction.  Very somber and sobering site.  God Bless America and its heroes.  :'(

We visited about that time,too and then a year or  so  ago. It's come a long way. Very moving. +1 on what Jim said.

Been there a couple of times, the last being in 2013. Every time I go they’ve added something new, from that simple section of chain link fence, to the entrance and walkway highlighting the victims that perished that fateful day. I look forward to revisiting this somber site to again, pay my respects for all that they lost, as did we all.

2013%20NE%20Spring%20Fling%20Bedford%2C%20PA%20012-L.jpg

2013%20NE%20Spring%20Fling%20Bedford%2C%20PA%20021-L.jpg

2013%20NE%20Spring%20Fling%20Bedford%2C%20PA%20016-L.jpg

2013%20NE%20Spring%20Fling%20Bedford%2C%20PA%20023-L.jpg