• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FOB Key

Bmar

Training Wheels
So last fall while riding my biggest fear occurred when my FOB fell from my pocket and bounced down the road.  After scouring the shoulder of the the road for my FOB I found the FOB, but could not locate the key.  Has any one have a similar experience?  And if so where did they find a replacement key at?  I talked to the parts counter at my local Kawasaki counter and they said they could get me a blank for $15, but I did not know if anyone found a place to make replacement keys at a cheaper price?

Any help would be great.

Don't sweat it. :)

The blank can be cut at any decent locksmith.  Just buy the OEM blank from the dealer and go from there. Probably cost you $5 to get it cut, so $15 for the blank you should be good to go for $20. Could have been worse, your FOB could have been destroyed.

Bmar, you can also check the parts directory on this page.  It will give you the code for the blanks, then you can go to a locksmith and probably have the keys made for less than that.  Now, if you are looking for the key that will go back into the fob, then you will have to go with what slidebite said.  I think i got 2 made for 14 bucks (but im lucky enough to still have the key in the fob too)  :)

Good Luck!

I purposely had spare keys made to use on the C14, becuase of things like this. You can cut and have, carry and even hide spare keys on the bike. Yet if you loose the fob, your basically screwed. So I always safeguarded the fob so that I could not loose it. (well within reason)  But this took having to use the little fob key out of the picture. They are still there if needed, but much better protected.
    I personally always had the opinion that the stove knob key is of poor design and can bend way too easy.  So I rarely ever took that key out of that ignition. I found that the normal keys I had cut worked much better than either of the two designed keys (or three if you have an 08-09). At about $5 each, I had three keys to use how ever I like. Plus you still had the key fob key if need be (and the fob is safe).
    I use to carry one or even two with me at times. One zipped in my right jacket pocket for quick access at anytime like quickly getting fuel or access to another part of the bike. One in my pants pocket for  when I might have my jacket off for quick access or as back up. The third key was permanently hidden on the bike. I could access it in a minute of so fairly easy if need be. I had the spare fob wrapped in foil and in a zip lock bag, either locked in the pannier or under the seat, mostly when I traveled. The spare key hidden on the bike would allow me access to the back up if I still managed to lose the first fob.
    So I am a firm believer in spare keys for use on the C14. It's no secret that I don't particularly care for the way the key/key set up is designed on the C14. Spare keys worked for me much better and were much quicker (for me) to use than any of the C14's keys. (including the stove knob key) 

Cap'n Bob said:
    I personally always had the opinion that the stove knob key is of poor design and can bend way too easy.
Tell me about it. When I bought my bike, I think I was putting the 2nd tank of fuel in it and bent it about 45 degrees and I was about 300 miles from home! Luckily, the gas station was right next to a hardware store so I was able to "borrow" a display vice and make it straight enough to use for the remainder of the trip.