• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Following close

prock1951

Lesson learned

Going to the local mall this afternoon. I'm always wary of cars bunching up, following me or the cars in front of me. I was coming up behind two cars, slowing for a light, an 18 wheeler wanting to turn left in front of the two cars in front of me. I'm slowing down from 25 to 10 mph or so thinking the cars are going thru with the green light. Well the car closest to the 18 wheeler yields to the truck causing the car in front of me to jam on his brakes and that got my attention! I, too, thought all three of us would go thru the green - wrong! 

Only 'cause I had a good twenty feet btwn me and the car in front of me did I not have an interaction with a bumper on a Lexis.  Both brakes locked up for split second and I slid maybe five feet and no contact!

So, keep your distance even at slow speeds.

Phil, COG 5879

and I never follow in the center of the lane, or stop at a sign or light in the center of the lane. I always leave an escape route, even if it means coming up alongside the car in front of me. Steve