• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

foot peg lowering

Roland

Training Wheels
I have 2011. I am 5-11. I've ordered bar risers and now I'm looking at lowering the pegs because I'm about to head out on a trip so I'm looking for comfort but I do not want to give up performance when it comes to the twisties. I don't want the pegs to scrape in the turns as they do on my Harley streetglide. Which is a better set up for more clearance, the MCL with stock pegs or the Murphs with his pegs? Is install easy?

I would go with Murph's as MCL has had some bad history on delivery. Install is easy. Adjusting the shifter side easy. Adjusting the rear break pedal is not easy.

For me 6'3" MURPHS pegs made the ride comfort significantly better.

I have had no ground clearance issues with Murphs but I do not drag things in the corners

BTW: If MCL is back and the past shipment issues are all cleared up ... please post the details

Using lower pegs like Murph's or Buell will be more comfortable. The pegs themselves are about as low as the OEM pegs with the scrapers on. So technically they are not lower where they will hit. And they do lower your feet to a more comfortable position.
The down side for some (myself included) is that with your feet being actually lower, you may start dragging your toes on your boots much, much easier. Then you have to think about every corner whether or not you have to pull your toes up on the pegs to take the turn. I found it to be enough of a PITA that I went back to OEM. But I can see changing them for longer trips.

In regards to MCL lead time delivery.  I did not order the driver lowering pegs, but I did order the passenger lowering peg brackets.  And delivery was very very quick.  Maybe 3 days.  I would not hesitate to order from MCL in the future.  And my wife found the drop brackets a big improvement over OEM.  I just got my 2010 Blue Connie from a private sale.  But it is sitting while the seat is out at Spencer's for modification. 

FYI

I saw that the rider lowering pegs from MCL and ProjecktD work great on the 2008 and 2009, but due to muffler changes in the 2010 and 2011 they have some clearance issues.

I have a 2008 and use ProjecktD for the rear pegs and Murphs for the front.

streetglide said:
I have 2011. I am 5-11. I've ordered bar risers and now I'm looking at lowering the pegs because I'm about to head out on a trip so I'm looking for comfort but I do not want to give up performance when it comes to the twisties. I don't want the pegs to scrape in the turns as they do on my Harley streetglide. Which is a better set up for more clearance, the MCL with stock pegs or the Murphs with his pegs? Is install easy?

I bought some buell pegs from a Harley dealer in MN for $40 shipped,  Drops about 1 1/2"

Do you have the part no. for the Buell pegs and will they work on 2011. Is the install about the same as MCL and Murphs. Thanks

COGnosticat0r said:
I bought some buell pegs from a Harley dealer in MN for $40 shipped,  Drops about 1 1/2"

+1, same here.  I have them on my 2010, so yes, they will work on a 2011.

They are from a Buell Ulysses.  Minor mods required to use them.  You need to drill the hole out just a hair larger, and do a little filing on the back side where it contacts the mount, so it will lay completely horizontal.  Took about 10 minutes per side to mod them.

I would stay away from the N0006.1A[D or K] parts, even though they were $10 less, as they did not fit correctly between the mounts, and didn't have much contact area for your foot.  The ones I have are N0502.1AK (left) and N0503.1AK (right).  Paid $40 to a local Harley dealer for them.

The feeler is actually a little higher, giving just a little more cornering clearance.  I've still ground both sides though.  The feelers are aluminum, so they are self clearancing.  :motonoises:

thanks for the info but do you still have to buy the foot peg brackets or do the Buell pegs come with everything?

streetglide said:
thanks for the info but do you still have to buy the foot peg brackets or do the Buell pegs come with everything?

The part numbers are just the pegs, you mount them to the C14 brackets.

Hi Xnuke1,

I also ordered a set of passenger lowering pegs from MCL a couple weeks ago and they do not fit well on my C14 2011. The right had side peg extender is touching the muffler protection shield and both extenders have an up/down play of 1/8 to 1/16" even when tightly bolted in place, which is likely to bang on the muffler shield on every bump/road imperfection.

The part number I received was CO-1400-PFPL-FP and there is a 08-10 handwritten note on the box, which I presume is for the year 2008-2010. I specified that my bike was a 2011 but I am now wandering if there is any difference in peg/shield clearance between the 2010 and 2011 model-year.

I contacted MCL and I apparently received the right parts for my bike. The employee I spoke with was not able to help me much more and asked me to send Larry, who designed the peg lowerer, an email with a video of teh installed peg lowering bracket, which I did early last week. I haven't received a response yet and will post it once I do.

Did you or anyone on the forum had the same problem (guard touching and 1/8"play)?

Thanks

JF

Just spoke to Larry.

The two possibilities he can think of are either the model year 2011 is different from the 2010 or the Canadian C14 (that I have) is different from the US one.

He will go and install his kit on a C14 2011 at a dealer and get back to me in a couple days.

JF

I've decided to not lower my front footpegs. I had Spencer Seats take the forward slope out of my seat and installed the sheepskin on the seat and foot pegs are just fine. I did not want to compromise being able to taking the twisties and dragging pegs like I do on my Harley streetglide.

Talked to Larry from MCL this PM. He checked the peg lowerer bracket on the 2011 C14 and he confirmed the part needs to be adapted for the 2011 as it touches the muffler guard.

He said that I could keep the bracket I have and grind it to clear the muffler and that he will send me free-of-charge a bracket fitted for the 2011 model-year in approx. 4 weeks.

I grinded the right bracket and it now clears the muffler guard. I inserted a piece of plastic, cut from a Coke bottle in between the bracket and the frame to resolve the play the bracket had.

Good service from Larry. I'll post again once I receive the 2011 peg lower in approx 4 weeks.

JF

I just got back from a trip from Texas to Colorado and back and the stock pegs were not a problem at all. On the way back home I rode 16 hours and 950 miles in one day and the stock pegs were not an issue at all. Total trip 3600 miles and the bike was fantastic in all aspects.

I could NEVER get the brake right, always had to think about using it, so off they came and I dont miss them at all.

Stealth Jay said:
Hi Xnuke1,

I also ordered a set of passenger lowering pegs from MCL a couple weeks ago and they do not fit well on my C14 2011. The right had side peg extender is touching the muffler protection shield and both extenders have an up/down play of 1/8 to 1/16" even when tightly bolted in place, which is likely to bang on the muffler shield on every bump/road imperfection.

The MCL site indicates that the passenger peg lowering kit won't work on 2011 bikes, so I emailed them about a month ago and was told that they would be building a lowering kit for the 2011, as indicated above, but they never got it done. (I just rechecked the site.)

I understand the Projekt-D lowering kit fits both 2010 AND 2011 bikes well. If you don't mind waiting five or six weeks for the part that may be a good solution.

I used the MCL peg lowering kit (operator's pegs) on my 2011 Connie. Fits perfectly, works perfectly, and is very well made. It does further reduce the already poor cornering clearance, but it's a LOT more comfortable for us long-legged folks.