• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork noise

Allen Cross

In an effort to do away with the diving front end, I put the Ricor emulators and a set of progressive springs in my fork.  I filled the tubes to the level recommended by Progressive and buttoned everything up.  The diving went away but now I have some kind of clicking noise every time the fork cycles.  I think it is just the spring coils hitting together but I am not sure.  Does anybody know what the noise is, is it causing any damage, and do you have any idea on how to make it go away?  Thanks for your input

aacross said:
In an effort to do away with the diving front end, I put the Ricor emulators and a set of progressive springs in my fork.  I filled the tubes to the level recommended by Progressive and buttoned everything up.  The diving went away but now I have some kind of clicking noise every time the fork cycles.  I think it is just the spring coils hitting together but I am not sure.  Does anybody know what the noise is, is it causing any damage, and do you have any idea on how to make it go away?  Thanks for your input

Are you getting the noise anytime the forks move? Is it while extending or contracting you hear it more?

Ahh, yes, the "click." They all do it.

Oh, wait, wrong answer....

Despite having had the forks apart many times, I can't really say what causes it. Sometimes after reassembly it will click, other times not. There doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason. It has never been a problem, just an annoyance.

I keep trying to imagine what inside the tubes might be catching against a coil... and there isn't anything. It's definitely not the coils hitting each other, because you can't exert that kind of force just bouncing the front end. My best guess is the solid washer on top of the springs moving around.

aacross said:
Not every time.  Mainly when the bike goes over a dip or bump large enough to compress it.

You can't get it to click by grabbing a handful of brake and bouncing the friont end hard?

You might want to contact Ricor and see what they say.

Try holding onto the front fender and flexing different ways listening for the click.  It could just be the fender pop rivets are getting loose and causing it.