• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork spings

abaton6

Bicycle
Anyone have the fork springs replacement procedure from the old forum?  My 2k failed inspection today.  Front end too bouncy.  I got the sprrings from Murph last year.  This is my incentive.  Thanx.

If you mean the ZG/GTR forum, it's there now.  Go to the Wiki/ FAQ area for the C10, click on "Suspension".

Also, keep in mind, weak springs won't make your front end bouncy, more likely lack of oil, or the oil is too thin. Do your seals leak?

The seals do not leak at all.  The bike has 20 k on it.  The local bike shop says after 15 k or so, most fork springs are shot.  I'll bet the oil is like water...never been changed. 

I seem to remember a a fork spring replacement thread that did not involve removing the forks as is currently posted in the ZGR forum, (excellent post by the way)  Something about a plastic tube and a turkey baster to get the old oil out?

Ring a bell to anyone?  I'm trying to do this with as little work possible, but if the forks need to come off, so be it.

I think removing the forks is to get the oil out. No need to remove the forks to change the springs, except that if your messing with springs anyway that is a good time to replace the oil. And install emulators, too. I think someone wrote a while back about installing oil drains too. That would sure make it easier to change the oil in the future.

abaton6 said:
The local bike shop says after 15 k or so, most fork springs are shot.

Now why would a bike shop say something as silly as that?  Your springs are perfectly fine.
You need shock oil.
My seals have never leaked but I changed them anyway and still I cannot figure out where the oil  disappears too. It must evaporate away. Maybe it rots ands shrinks because it sure smells foul when it comes out.
My friends bike had less than 15k and his oil dropped down way low too , just like mine and man did it get bouncy. No leaks on his either.
New fresh oil in both bikes fixed the problem and no new springs were needed.
There is one easy way not metioned here but you would need an air gun impact driver.
With the front wheel removed  there is a 10mm hex screw holding the inner fork tube. You remove that hex screw using the impact driver and the oil drains out.
It maybe a little tricky getting the inner tube lined back up with the screw. I think I used a broom handle or some thing similar. 
You asked for the easiest way and that is it.
Remove part number 92001
http://tinyurl.com/3gada8z