• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fork tubes

I have a couple sets of fork legs that fit 94-06 C10.

There is a small amount of pitting and surface rust between the triple trees and one set has some pitting below the lower triple but above the fork seal travel maximum.

One set is from a 94.

The other from 2002 that includes the plastic fork protectors thT came on 99 and newer.

Thats great. Thank you for the response.

My right hand fork seal was leaking so I installed new seals on right and left. After 300 miles the right one is leaking again. Thinking there must be a scratch I missed or some other defect.

Guessing I would want the set from the 94. How much do you want and where are you?

I am not home right now and its been a while since I stored them. I will look at them all again and see whats what By Sometime tomorrow.

Or maybe the 2002 if they are in better shape.
The C-10 forks changed in 99. So there are differences you need to understand before buying his 2002's.

If you're buying just the 2002 upper tubes I'm unsure if they will fit the 94 lowers. Plus the fork caps and springs are different.
If you're buying the entire 2002 forks, they will fit your tripple trees, but the 94 wheel and brakes would have to be changed to 99 or newer.

Stasch can explain differences better than I.

Good point Ted. Entire 94-06 fork leg assemblies fit all other 94-06 C10's but there are some variations in fork seal sizes. From 99 on there were accomodations to house the fork protectors as well.

Such changes need to be remembered for the future if fork seals need replacing such as for my 2000 which is running 1994 fork legs.

If replacing just the silver inner fork tube, there are differences.

44013-1400 PIPE-FORK INNER
1994-1998

44013-1458 PIPE-FORK INNER
1999-2006

Then the fork seals cover either 86-98 or 99-06.

Reference: https://murphskits.com/concours-fork-seals-wipers-1/

Last edited:
The best option would be to install the 2002 Upper tubes on his 94 lower tubes.
To do this you would need the 2002 fork caps and springs.
The advantage would be no more air adjustment, mechanically adjustable pre-load and you could use your existing 94 seals, wheel, and brakes.

The problem is; I'm unsure if the 2002 Upper tubes would work with his 94 lower tubes ??
Does anyone know for sure??

Ride safe, Ted

The best option would be to install the 2002 Upper tubes on his 94 lower tubes.
To do this you would need the 2002 fork caps and springs.
The advantage would be no more air adjustment, mechanically adjustable pre-load and you could use your existing 94 seals, wheel, and brakes.
The last year for the air assist forks was 93. The fork caps and springs are the same for 94-06.

The problem is; I'm unsure if the 2002 Upper tubes would work with his 94 lower tubes ??
Does anyone know for sure??
Don't think they will. The upper tubes have different part numbers for 94-98 and 99-06.

Last edited:
The last year for the air assist forks was 93. The fork caps and springs are the same for 94-06.

Don't think they will. The upper tubes have different part numbers for 94-98 and 99-06.
My concerns would be unfounded. If the Brakes/wheels also changed in 94 (??) it would be a non issue.
If so, the complete 2002 forks would work.

Last edited:
Yes the complete fork legs from 94-06 are all interchangable as complete units.

Mixing the 2002 upper inner silver tubes with the 94 lower fork legs would not work.

Thanks for the research guys. I replaced the seals 300 miles ago and the right fork is leaking. The right fork was the leaker originally. The left is not leaking. Not sure why the right is leaking. All 300 miles in clear weather on clean roads. There might be some minor scratches on the inner tube that did the seal in. I just ran a home made seal mate around the inner lip to see if I that might clear any contaminates that may have found there way into the seal. Will to a test ride and see if it helped.
Sounds like the 2002 upper and lower would work. Is the right side available or are you looking to sell the R & L? Was there a upper tube from a 1994 available? Thanks again.

I can work with whatever you need.

What I would NOT do is do a complete 2002 fork leg on one side, and a complete 1994 on the other, as you would have 2 different seal and wiper kit sizes to remember and deal with at the next replacement.

You should be able to feel nicks and dings within your right tube's area of travel. Its possible there's something below the wiper that you can't see but that would seem quite unlikely.

Ran a thin piece of plastic from a soda bottle around the lip seal and the seal appears to be not leaking. Will see if it lasts. If it leaks again can I buy one of your 1994 fork tubes?

Ran a thin piece of plastic from a soda bottle around the lip seal and the seal appears to be not leaking. Will see if it lasts. If it leaks again can I buy one of your 1994 fork tubes?
I replaced the seals on my ‘00 forks due to the fact of rebuilding and upgrading the forks.
The right seal starting leaking and the homemade seal mate did the trick 👍👍😎