• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Forks making noise on compression

sfsokc

Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Connie.  I have a 2011 with about 5500 miles.  As far as I can remember, the bike has always made a noise under hard braking when the forks compress.  It's hard to describe, but is something like a "binding sound", which seems to occur in increments as the forks compress in steps.  Overall, the suspension seems way more stiff than my old Ninja 650R, and that's even with the stock setup for a 150 lb person (I am more like 180).  Basically, it doesn't seem like the front suspension compresses very smoothly at all compared to my old bike.  Is this "normal"?  I've heard mostly good things about the Connie suspension!

Are all your settings (Preload, damping) set "Equal" ?  That is same exact setting on the left fork as the right?

You may have a bushing binding, or the spring may be out of position and rubbing the wall of the slider. I'd probably want to yank them apart and inspect them if it were my bike. It's a good opportunity to do a fork oil change anyway.

You might have luck convincing the dealer to look at it under warranty. Sometimes they'll agree to pick up the tab if they do find a problem after disassembling, but if everything checks out, you may have to pay for the labor.  It might be worth the risk if they will agree to it. I'd probably at least take it into them and see what they say about it.

sfsokc said:
Was wondering if anyone else has noticed this with their Connie.  I have a 2011 with about 5500 miles.  As far as I can remember, the bike has always made a noise under hard braking when the forks compress.  It's hard to describe, but is something like a "binding sound", which seems to occur in increments as the forks compress in steps.  Overall, the suspension seems way more stiff than my old Ninja 650R, and that's even with the stock setup for a 150 lb person (I am more like 180).  Basically, it doesn't seem like the front suspension compresses very smoothly at all compared to my old bike.  Is this "normal"?  I've heard mostly good things about the Connie suspension!
not sure what i would call the noise you describe, but i agree there is some noise on compression.  i also have a 2011, with 9400 miles, and the bike is just very harsh.  i have done many set-up and got it about the best i can, but it is not a compliant suspension front or rear.  i have seen many posts about how smooth the connie is, motor and suspension, but i am sure the roads the other posters  are on are pretty smooth.  i live north of white plains n.y. and travelled to charlotte,n.c.,  after i got over the tappan zee bridge,  and onto to i-78, i-81 and finally i-77, and then around charlotte for many days it was like another bike. i was in love.  when i got back to the lousy n.y. roads, it was disappointing.  i ended up with 12 clicks from full soft in the rear, damping in the dead middle, and 4.5 lines showing on the front fork, also, front preload around the middle.  the rear is lowered with muzzy links, primarily to keep me from sliding forward on the tank.  also phils wedges  tank grips for really hard braking and i trimmed the stock seat.  bike is much better suspension wise, now, except when i run it on some bad roads.  sometimes i just get up on the pegs, to take the shock out of the "hits".  overall, very happy with the bike, it can do it all!!!

Slider, if your suspension feels harsh and you have the pre-load correct, try reducing your rebound damping adjustment. Take 1/4 turn out of the rear shock (ccw), and 2 clicks off (ccw) each fork and see if that helps soften it up.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Slider, if your suspension feels harsh and you have the pre-load correct, try reducing your rebound damping adjustment. Take 1/4 turn out of the rear shock (ccw), and 2 clicks off (ccw) each fork and see if that helps soften it up.
thanks fred.  will try that.  i just ordered your vids and happan to read your "why i crashed"..  boy, did you hit it on the (my)head. i own 7 bikes and i ride flat out way too much, especially on the c-14, gsxr 1000 and bmw s1000rr.  just keep upping the ante, every time i ride. i just retired and look forward to a good retirement, your "write-up", got me thinking.  if i keep it up, there will eventually be a situation when "
my skills (and luck)can't save me.  i never had an addiction, no smokes, drugs or booze, but speed is something i gotta have.  have to start acting my age,haha.  hope some of the young and fast guys read your "story".  it has a lot of wisdom.