• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fred .... Question regarding ZX14 Header ?

bagger

Moped
Fred .... what years of C14s header pipes will fit the 2010 ABS that I have?  Asked on another forum and didn't get an answer.

I'm considering hooking up the dual ZX14 set up with aftermarket slip ons .... but, don't want to fool with cats, drilling, etc the header.

Thanx.

I can chime in on this until Fred gets to it.

The short answer should be any.  You can put a 2006 ZX14 header on your 2010 C14 (I can personally vouch for that  ::) ).

The ZX14 exhaust changed between 2007 and 2008.  The cats moved from the mufflers to the header in 2008.  I believe you can mix and match years of ZX14 headers and mufflers though by picking the correct mid-pipe gasket.  The C14 and the 2008 and later ZX14 mid-pipe gasket are the same.  The 2007 and older mid-pipe gasket has the same OD, but smaller ID to match the 2007 and older (smaller) header outlet diameter.

You will need to move the side stand out to clear the pipe (shim it or replace with a ZX14 side stand and mount), modify the C14 center stand, as the foot pad hits the bottom of the left mid-pipe, and come up with a hanger for the left side muffler.  Other than that, it's a snap.

C1xRider said:

The short answer should be any.  You can put a 2006 ZX14 header on your 2010 C14 (I can personally vouch for that  ::) ).

The ZX14 exhaust changed between 2007 and 2008.  The cats moved from the mufflers to the header in 2008.  I believe you can mix and match years of ZX14 headers and mufflers though by picking the correct mid-pipe gasket.  The C14 and the 2008 and later ZX14 mid-pipe gasket are the same.  The 2007 and older mid-pipe gasket has the same OD, but smaller ID to match the 2007 and older (smaller) header outlet diameter.

You will need to move the side stand out to clear the pipe (shim it or replace with a ZX14 side stand and mount), modify the C14 center stand, as the foot pad hits the bottom of the left mid-pipe, and come up with a hanger for the left side muffler.  Other than that, it's a snap.

The above advice all sounds correct. I forget exactly what year model they starting putting the CATs in the header on the ZX14, but that is also when the mid pipe diameter changed. But as long as you get the same year ZX-14 header and ZX-14 pipes they should marry up just fine. No changes occurred at the cylinder head fittings, so all years will bolt on just fine. If you don't want the CATs in the header pipe, then you'll need to find an earlier year model header. Not having the CATs in the header makes it a bit easier to locate a Wideband O2 sensor, since they really need to be located before the CAT.

C1xRider said:

Thanx for the reply.  I'm still confused, tho. 

If the cats moved from the mufflers to the header in 2008, and I want to run Holeshot mid pipes and cans ... I'd have to have a 2008 or later header.  Otherwise, if I used ... say ... a 2007 header with the same set up as above, there would NOT be any cats.  Is this correct?

And, if so ... not having cats seems to me to be a problem, eh?

Fred, I read your reply, too.  And, I'm still confused regarding what I typed above.

I will need some cats ... O2 sensors, yada, yada.  But, aftermarket midpipes and cans will not have either ... correct?

So, I need to address this before I buy a header for my 2010 ... right?

Running the bike with no CATs will make you a Pollution Pig, and Al Gore will roll up in your driveway one day (in his giant armored SUV that gets 4mpg) with the Green Police in tow and they'll haul you away and force you to live on nothing but bread and Ethanol made from subsidized corn.

Other than that, running CAT less shouldn't impact the performance, and some say it makes the bike run a bit cooler.

You don't need any 02 sensors in a US model bike. I only mentioned the WideBand 02 sensor in case you wanted to add a Power Commander with an Auto Tune set up.

All you really need is a pipe and mid pipe that will marry up and fit together and bolt on the bike. You'll also need to modify the centerstand and come up with a left side muffler hanger bracket of some kind.

Fred ... I fully understand the Gore stuff.  As I type, 10,000 years ago there was a mile high block of ice over my house pushing forward to create Long Island.  Climate Change, eh?  :)

And, I drive a BIG truck with a plow !

Sooooo .... I can buy a 2006 or later header and be damned about the cats and O2 sensors?  Hook up some aftermarket pipes/cans and all is well ?And, this will have no effect on the performance of the bike? 

How can that be?  You are much more of a wrench than I am ... I'm just a rider.  But, I don't understand how not running cats, O2 sensors will not affect the bike in a negative way. 

Please explain how this is possible, Fred.

Your bike doesn't currently have 02 sensors (unless it's a European model).

All removing the CAT does is improve the flow out of the pipe a little. If anything, it will probably improve performance with it gone.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
Your bike doesn't currently have 02 sensors (unless it's a European model).

All removing the CAT does is improve the flow out of the pipe a little. If anything, it will probably improve performance with it gone.

Thanx, Fred ... I think even my lack of tech-ability understands.  I do understand 'flow' ...  no cats will increase flow.  Less restriction ... I get it.

Thanx again, Fred.

Mines a 2007 with Two Brothers mufflers.  :)

I had to make some silencer cones to take the edge off, and now it sounds great while only chirping the car alarms, instead of setting them off.

C1xRider said:
Mines a 2007 with Two Brothers mufflers.  :)

I had to make some silencer cones to take the edge off, and now it sounds great while only chirping the car alarms, instead of setting them off.

I just bought a 2008 ZX14 header pipe from eBay.  New !  $198 delivered.  Sounds good to me.  We shall see, eh.

Now, I need a left side mid pipe to hook up another Holeshot from Dale. 

I know there are a few other things that need to be done, but that's the way it is.  I may put this mod off until late fall, unless I can get all the other stuff ready for installation.  I can't do any of this ... I'll have to pay my Kawa shop to do it.  They are good to me, tho.  I can't complain.

Question - Are you getting a performance bump, or just a sweet exhaust tune?  How much louder than the stock Connie is the ZX14 exhaust?  Do you need to go to a 2 brothers, etc to mellow it out? 

JD said:
Question - Are you getting a performance bump, or just a sweet exhaust tune?  How much louder than the stock Connie is the ZX14 exhaust?  Do you need to go to a 2 brothers, etc to mellow it out?

I have Dynotronics ECU reFlash along with a single exhust from Holeshot now.  From what I hear, adding the ZX14 header and dual aftermarket cans will give you some increase in power.  I'd guess my set-up may give around 12 or so horsepower increase over stock.  The experts may have a better handle on this.  I know there are dyno data running around with numbers.

My main reason to accomplish the dual set up on the C14 is to make the bike look better.  The oem potato launcher had to go.  I took it off before I took delivery of the beastie.  The Holeshot single exhaust does have a nice note, the look is much better and there is a saving of some weight, too.  That said, some increase in power is always good imo.

Ok, I guess I'm gonna sound stupid, but here goes...

Why not just purchase the Muzzy dual system?
http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/index.html

wally_games said:
Ok, I guess I'm gonna sound stupid, but here goes...

Why not just purchase the Muzzy dual system?
http://www.muzzys.com/concours14/index.html

That's not a stupid question.  And, I have looked at the various systems out there.  But, the price tag on all of these is like $1400-1700.  I got the header $200, I have a right hand Holeshot/pipe ... I just need a left side pipe (ZX14) and another Holeshot.  Prolly less than $600.  Plus, I like the Holeshot sound and service.  If I don't like the system, I can go back to were I am pretty easily and sell the other parts and prolly break even. 

Just my thinking.  I could be wrong.

C1xRider said:

I am in the process of making theses changes on my 08, and wanted to see if the ZX14 center stand would fit the Connie with out any mods to it? Thanks for any help,Kenneth

Junior said:
I am in the process of making theses changes on my 08, and wanted to see if the ZX14 center stand would fit the Connie with out any mods to it? Thanks for any help,Kenneth

I don't know first hand that the ZX14 center stand won't work, but during my research the answer was no, it would not.  As I recall, there was some problem with the mounts not lining up correctly.

I ended up buying a used C14 center stand off eBay, and modding it myself by extending the arm out to clear the mid pipe.