• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Freebird6 Down Hard near Richmond

Jorge

I know many on the forum are strong believers in the power of prayer to our God, as Irene and I are.
Laurie, his GF, let us know that Tom had a serious accident near Richmond today, and was lifelined to Miami Valley Hosp. We don't know any other details than he's expected to survive.
I know many of you know Tom, either in person, from the forum, or from his rides in SE Ohio.
Please keep him, Laurie, and the family in your prayers.
If we learn more, I will update the thread.
Jorge

So sorry to hear this.  I'll keep him in my thoughts, and please update when you hear more.

Thanks Jorge for the note, I met Tom at the Moto GP in Indy this summer while hanging out at the circle on Meridian, very nice guy! We've exchanged a couple notes since, my prayers for his speedy recovery.

So sorry to hear this.  My best goes out to him and his family and I hope for a full and speedy recovery!  :beerchug:

Update:
Not sure of the speeds, distances, or fault; things not fully clear, and it may not have been cage's fault.
Tom hit on driver's door of a Cavalier when he was travelling in US-35 near Richmond IN. He's currently in the ICU at Miami Valley hospital in Dayton. For some reason, the hospital information services does not recognize that Tom is there, so if anyone calls the hospital, you may be told that there is no one there by that name.
He has multiple fractures in legs and ankle, sternum, ribs, and other injuries. Doctors are still running tests to determine full extent of injuries. He's heavily sedated, and is out almost all the time. This morning he woke for a while, and Laurie (his terrific GF that was in JC with Tom) was able to communicate with him. The doctors say this is really great because they didn't expect to see this for several days. Tom is a strong man, physically and mentally, and he'll fight this, but prayers are an amazing thing (some of you should ask about this in person and I'll tell you some really neat stories of protection and healing), so keep them coming!
Tom is a 100% ATGATT guy, and his mom is convinced that this saved his life, and reduced level of injuries.
Prognosis is looks good, but with a long recovery.
Please continue to keep Tom, Laurie, and the family in your prayers.

Jorge

No real update, other than it sounds like he's spending more time awake.
Laurie is accompanying him day & night.
Jorge

Jorge,

I don't know Tom, but I am a believer in Jesus and His healing power. I pray that God heals Tom and glorifies Himself through this.

I, too had a crash this past Saturday in Arkansas after a fantastic four hours of riding with fellow COGgers, but only sustained minor injuries. The bike is probably totaled. I'm so thankful I wasn't more severely injured.

I'll continue to pray for Tom, his girlfriend and family.

All you guys, I know that Laurie and Tom appreciate your prayers.
We passed by Dayton (we live about 2 hrs away) today on our return trip from NJ , but by the time we got there, Tom was pretty much "done fer"; this is actually a good thing.
Tom has been sitting up in bed, and per Laurie's words: "Tom's been doing more than they are asking him to do". Those of you that know Tom will remember he's an intense individual; and he knows what's needed for recovery.
I don't know if he had a concussion; I imagine he did.
Keep up the prayers, and I too know that God will be glorified by this!
Jorge

The reason I asked, is I received a concussion over a year ago from an accident, and still dealing with it. The physical parts mended very quickly....just make sure he follows the dr's orders about the concussion.  Can't push thru recovery of that like a knee injury, and it ends up taking longer to heal.  Folks who have been thru physical injury or surgery tend to want to treat a concussion like those.  (Sorry, after what happened to us, I am an advocate on treating concussions).  Prayers for a speedy recovery.

First time I've seen this note.
Really sorry to hear the news, but happy to hear the prayers are working.
I'll add my prayers to the chorus.

Ride safe, Ted

WOW! Talk about prayers being answered... :bravo_2: :whoo:

Spoke with him this evening, and he sounded GREAT!
Tom's going home early next week. I think they expected him to be in the hospital for several weeks more, but he's ready to go home. He will still not be able to put any weight on his ankles for a while, so his upper body will be getting a really good workout.

He is really appreciative of all the people who have been praying for him; keep it up, he's still got some healing to do :great:

Not surprising, he's been looking at bikes... can't keep him off two wheels.

Also told me a little more about the incident. He was going Southbound on US-35, passed a semi, got around and well in front of him, when the car pulled out across his lane to go northbound on US-35. Tom's C14 was set up with a headlight modulator, but apparently, it wasn't enough.

Thanks from Tom for all the prayers!!

Jorge

Checking in here :-\

Seems like I got all my parts but some are broken.  :))

putting 2 broken ankles back together

1604719_10152511755575098_6260662338456895724_n.jpg

helmet is totally intact. I will post a pic later

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO LIFTED A PRAYER. I am convinced prayers got me through.

Looked at the pic of the car that pulled out in front of me ...hit the drivers door squarely and mover the crivers seat over to the passengers side.

ATGATT. Coma for 8 days. Wild trip on those drugs. Nothing I want to do again.

Seems like my whole body and brain are working just got to get my right knee and both ankles moving again.

Much to the consternation of the family and my 4 boys I am looking for a replacement for my bike.

Paid 8K with 6k on the clock. Put 61 K on it. Insurance wants to settly for 7175 but will not give any credit for farkles. Kisan headlight modulator and http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VUB4CW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
or the seth laam seat. I should be happy that I got 61K for 900 bucks.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JKEBMYA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, Kinght design pegs, Air wings, Cee Bailey shield, etc etc. Any way. can't lament the loss. I am alive and just have to get better to get back to work and then to find a bike. I love my life. Temporary setback.

Thanks to jorge and Irene for all the love and support.....and shooting photos of the wedding, I figured i was alive might as well quit putting off making things official.  Found a ring from a jeweler I knew in Dayton and she said yes

1506640_10152487380480098_8709774334440236100_n.jpg

Thanks to everyone for just being a great community. Got to get a bike and some new gear.....oh yeah. got to get the OK to touch these feet to the floor and then i will be hitting the roads with the community here again.  ;)

Welcome Back and Congratulation on the Wedding  :great:...... bikes are replaceable body parts not so much happy hunting for the new steed  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Bill

:great: :great: :great: :great: :great:  GREAT to see your post, Tom.  Congrats to you and Laurie!  Heal well and fast.  :great: :great:

Welcome back! Glad to see you are going to get right back on. Congratulations on the Marriage to Laurie. Maybe she will let you ride on the back of hers for awhile. LOL More Prayers for a speedy and complete recovery.

Great to see you posting.
Congrats on the Wedding.
Your right. Prayers help!

The ankles are going to take some time to be back to their former strength..  So, do as the Dr's say and give them that time!
Patience and therapy are the words of wisdom...
(Mebbe when the ankles area ready,,, the 15's will be available) hint hint...

Ride safe, Ted

Congratulations!!! On both the wedding, and how far you have come. You have a lot to be thankful for over this holiday and sounds like wonderful people near you to celebrate that with.