• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Freeing a stubborn fastener.

joer53

I was trying to remove the rear muffler cover from my C-14 so I could paint it.  Two of the three 4mm hex head screws loosened easily, but the third rounded out.  I was thinking about cutting a slot in the hex head with a dremel tool and trying to turn it with a standard screwdriver.  Any other ideas?

That just might work.  Unfortunately with bolt extraction tools, you normally have to drill a deaper hole in the screw/bolt head to be able to grip it.  Let us know how that works out for you.

If the head isn't too buggered up you might try heating it and using some Kroil or other penetrating oil. Try your slot idea if so.

If it comes to drilling it out, drill the head off, this might relieve the tension and then use channellocks to unscrew.

Good luck.

Hope this works for you because this is my first post,  ;)

IF you can access the outside edge of the screw head then a Turbo Socket will work very well.

41FQKKXDA4L._SS400_.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/merchandising-promotions/merchandising/hand-tools-sockets-and-ratchets/sockets/9-piece-38-drive-sae-bolt-extractor-sockets-67897.html

Well I chickened out on trying to cut a slot in the screw head.  I was afraid I would booger up the end cap with the cutting wheel.  I used a 3/16 drill bit and drilled out the screw head.  It popped right off and the rest was easy to remove with vice grips.