• FORUM NAME - If you are a COG Member and your user name does not match your name in the old forum or you just want a new one, you can now change it on your own. Read the Details Here

• If you are a current COG Member or Forum Subscriber and this is your first visit to our new site and forum, please go to www.concour.org and follow the instructions at the top of the page to activate your account and gain access to your site and forum.
  • Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

French filtering study:

nickrides

Scooter
Forum Subscriber
They studied this for FIVE YEARS and concluded lane splitting is more dangerous?
No Sh*t
Really? Are they sure they got good data?
A Reasonable person could have studied it for ONE AFTERNOON and could have / should have come to the same conclusion.
Gotta love the French!
Nick
2014 C-14

Motomaniac

COG Southwest Area Director
I for one do not think lane splitting is more dangerous if done at reasonable speed. I live here in California and split all the time when necessary. No problems yet...been very close to being rear ended when flowing with traffic though.

santacruzrider

I for one do not think lane splitting is more dangerous if done at reasonable speed. I live here in California and split all the time when necessary. No problems yet...been very close to being rear ended when flowing with traffic though.
I 100% agree, and I too lane-split for miles at a time on both mountain roads (Hwy 17 in Santa Cruz) and freeways in Silicon Valley when commute traffic is slowed or stopped. I've seen people do it wrong and watched them launched over a car hood (OK, I only saw that once, but it made an impression), but I appreciate both the ability to get out of tangled traffic and of not being at risk of getting rear ended. In a manner I view it a bit like speeding. If you launch a study I bet you'll "conclude" that speeding increases accidents. But I find judicious use of speed also provides separation and in many cases makes me feel safer.
Also note that the study didn't conclude what you may think. It doesn't show that lane-filtering caused more accidents or those accidents happen while the cyclist was filtering. It showed that when they changed the rule to allow filtering, reported accidents went up. Was it because there were more motorcyclists on those roads trying out the filtering, could it be because that area was being studied there was more attention to making a record of the accidents, were motorists oblivious that filtering was allowed in that section and not looking for a motorcycle beside them? No idea, because the study didn't go to that depth.