• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

From wendy's to woe.

Paul263

So i was finishing a four for 4, had my fries left when i got the call that the honda dealer was next door in the holiday gas station unloading my bike.

I ran out the the door but excersized restraint and moved the car one bock to there. They were very nice patient, i was confident because i have limited mechanics. I knew for a 98 with 20k i was getting a good deal and at 35 years of age with a week and a half until my birthday i feel this is as close to id ever come to marrige.

This was my first vehicle purchase. And thankfully i was able to pass on the honda ascot. Now i can ride up to my parents or sturgis or the coasts.

I bid them farewell after some questions and i noticed a cop stopped in for a donut so i drove my car back and walked back.

First thing i took a pic. I got on and started off. First time i had ridden a bike since a teenager. I took a left, i felt it wiggle, thought oh this is what some members describe. No big deal, i didnt feel it again.

I stayed in first and second in the neighborhood. I thought it was weird i couldnt turn only shift my weight. It was just heavy. I had wondered if i should have got the the 500cc thumper honda ascot but i could automatically see this as a highway bike.

Being so careful i parked in my cars usual spot satisfied my first gear turns were smooth an not jerky.

Looked to my left ok passenger footrests center stand oh there it is kickstand. Well it didnt spring out like a dirt bike. I got off and it tipped over like a domino. Timber. A foot from my neighbors car.

Broke the left foot brace.

That enraged me . I picked it up and learned how to ride it. Winterized it with seafoam wich is bad . Syphoned the gas and did it properly. Took it out for the second day. Was afraid to drop  it getting it out. Someone had posted, if you want to move it move it.

Now there is snow. 160 days until i can ride.

Take those pegs off and grind down the tab that prevents the peg from folding up a little further . Less likely to break if another drop happens .

I have about 160 days before i can ride again.So instead of taking it out on the road i either fix it this winter or let it go.

Anything thats not a bolt and a screw mystifies me.

The dealer said take the left foot off all i need is a needle nose pliers is this true?

It is pretty easy. A C-clip. You'll see it once you examine it. Make sure the bracket isn't cracked or hairline cracked.

I don't recommend learning on this bike. It is large and top heavy.

The bike doesn't wiggle at slow speeds, that was just your handling of the bike at low speeds. In some bikes, the front can wobble at between 40-50 mph if you are not holding down tight. These bikes have an engine buzz that everyone talks about. You'll notice it at highway speeds.

DC Concours said:
It is pretty easy. A C-clip. You'll see it once you examine it. Make sure the bracket isn't cracked or hairline cracked.

I don't recommend learning on this bike. It is large and top heavy.

The bike doesn't wiggle at slow speeds, that was just your handling of the bike at low speeds. In some bikes, the front can wobble at between 40-50 mph if you are not holding down tight. These bikes have an engine buzz that everyone talks about. You'll notice it at highway speeds.

Ok so its called a c clip. The bracket thats on there is completely broken in half. If you say its easy its easy. I will try it. If i cant get it. Ill bring it to the dealer, they said 25 bucks.

Yes so its top heavy. Ive read one of the biggest tanks to this day.

I would rather have this bike than a brand new 600cc.

It looks good the big tank is beautiful ang quite cozy if you dare to relax your feet.

Picking a line is rather difficult in town and if i remember not to keep my head the power is controllable.

This is a big bomber and the fun is riding it gracefully.

But nobodies too happy i bought it but thats part of the fun. Motorcycles are always part rebellion.

If you're going to keep this bike you will need to get over your fear of working on it yourself . Dive in there and get to it . The stealership will just take your money . I assume the 25 bucks was just the labor to remove a couple screws ? Parts extra right ? Look on ebay . Theres a ton of parts for sale there for these bikes .

DC concous.....if ur feeling a wobble at 40-50 mph the cure isn't to hold it down tight....its telling u to check the steering head bearing.  That wiggle is at that speed is a loose bearing.  Also very easy to snug up, even without the dam factory recommended tool....

You got it right I just have to get into it. If I can get some successes that will be good and when I learn then I will know.

"at least twice"  :rotflmao:

Jeez, I'm well into the 20s just on my C10s, but then 4 of those were on snow/ice and resulted in no damage to me or bike.
The 26 years/300,000+ miles I've done on 4 different C10s may also have something to do with it.

:welcome: to C10 ownership Paul.  :great: :motonoises:
You'll get the hang of it, both riding and wrenching.

Paul - get a service manual. Over the winter, take off the fairings and get to know the guts. It is really fun to work on your bike.
Watch some slow skills riding videos and practice in a parking lot. A C-10 was my first big bike too and it was dropped.  ;D

Many people own bikes that don't work on them. It is not the majority on this forum but is certainly not a reason to get rid of this bike. If you have a good dealer or service location it is just a matter of money.