• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

front brake rotors hot spotting

olfart

Scooter
my 09 concours14 with 9000 miles has hot spotted the front brake rotors,i ride somewhat aggressively but i didn't expect the rotors to do this.anyone else had this problem???

There have been quite a few reports of warped rotors on fairly new bikes causing brake pulsations. I spoke with Kawasaki about this and was told it was somewhat normal to expect this on a big heavy bike like this. However, my GoldWing is almost 300lbs heavier than the C14, and I have never had a problem on it. I think there is a design/manufacture problem with the rotors on the C14, and Kawasaki has not yet acknowledged it. Take it to the dealer and have them replace it under warranty. If they get enough of them back at the dealers and have to put new rotors on them, maybe they will start to take notice.

Bull hockey. Call another dealer and get new brake rotors under warranty. Kawasaki has been replacing them left and right on bikes, and there are MANY reports of this same problem from other folks, and Kawasaki is aware of it.

Hello everyone. Half way through the 2009 national rally my front brakes started chattering also. This was VERY disconcerting because I first noticed it when hitting the curves on the dragon. All the way home (1400 miles) the brakes always displayed some level of pulsing (though not as bad as when I was riding aggressively). I dropped the bike off at the local dealer today and will let everyone know the outcome. Keep your fingers crossed. 2008 C14

Mines ABS and I had to have them replaced. Like a lot of others. The rotors are meant for the lighter ZX14. But this bike is a lot heavier. Especially when your loaded up for a trip. It really needs different rotors on the bike. Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

my galfer rotors arrived and i installed them with galfer sintered metal pads.i'm still breaking them in but the pulsing and chattrer is gone,it remains to be seen if they willl hold up better than the stockers.I also found another dealer who got kawasaki to commit to repalceng the stock rotors,i will take the rotors but won't install them as i feel they will do the same thing the originals did.time will telll.....

The dealer called me this Monday and said that he put my rotors on a trueing stand and did not find any warpage. He is a short guy and could not ride my bike to verify the brake pulsing (and did not trust his mechanic to ride my bike). So he called Kawasaki, told them this, and they are going to replace them under warranty ANYWAY! Sounds like this is something that Big K is aware of. 2008 C14

Picked the bike up today. Problem fixed. The dealer said he called Big K to ask if this problem would happen after I put another 10,000 miles on it and Big K said that this happens because the owners are "hot rodding" their bikes. I thought that's what this bike was supposed to be used for. Regardless, the dealer agreed that the front brakes were under-engineered. oldnslo_MO... Can you provide part numbers and costs for the Galfer rotors and pads? 2008 C14

igot the rotors and pads through www.hardracing.com the rotor part numbers are G-DF190W the pads are G-FD-371-hh. the rotors and pads were $679.00 to my door.I now have about 600 miles on them and they are much more responsive than tha stockers,as to longivety Only time will tell.I can't believe K would make a bike as powerful AS THE CONNIE AND NOT THINK WE WOULD RIDE THE PISS OUT OF THeM,AFTER IT IS A sport TOURING BIKE.ACCENT ON sport. HAPPY TRAILS...

How are those Galfers holding up? How many miles you got on them now? I've got 11k on my C14, and I'm going to be replacing my 2nd set of rotors... thinking about buying the Galfers and having brakes I can depend on over taking the bike in every 6-7 months.

Glad to hear there is a potential solution...After 3 sets of front rotors in 20K, I will consider it once the warranty is over. Do you ride solo or two-up?

I just took my bike in to my dealer to have the Head Tech ride it. I've been through the steering head bearings, etc. and that system is all OK but I still have the vibration/judder/shaking in the front end when braking. By the way, I'm not an aggressive rider with most of my miles spent in long distance touring with minimal braking necessary. He came back from his ride with -- "There is definitely a problem here. Let me get your file and contact Kawa". My bike is two years old today and has 25K miles on it. It will be under warranty for another year and I can extend that for an additional three years for about $350. I'm not going to buy aftermarket discs and pads to solve a basic design problem. As far as I'm concerned, Kawa made the mistake, they own the problem and have the responsibility to come up with a suitable solution. Ride safe.

FYI, My bike had some mild vibration when applying the front brakes and I fabricated a bracket so I could mount a dial indicator and check the vertical runout (or true) of the front rotors. I very carefully tweaked the rotor carriers just a bit and was able to reduce the runout from about 6 or 7 thousandths down to around 1 or 2 thousandths of an inch. After doing this, my brake vibration went away.

Fred, When you are talking about "tweaking" your rotors, are you bending the rotors to reduce the reading or are you removing material from one side of the rotor (ie, grinding, filing, sanding, etc.) to reduce the reading? Thanks.

Chuck, He said he was adjusting the carriers, that would mean to me he was loosening and retightening the bolts holding the carrier to the wheel. This technique is used to redo the rotor by changing the tension points and causing it to flex differently. Definately need a run out guage to try this as well as a lot of patience. My previous experience has been that I get close and then tighten somewhere else to "bring it into alignment" and find that where I was perfect is now out.

Actually what I do is physically bend the aluminum carrier that the rotor is mounted to. It takes VERY LITTLE force to do this. I can put two fingers on a carrier and push on it and change it as much as 3 or 4 thousandths of an inch. I have also used a cresent wrench on the "spokes" of the carrier to help "tweak" it. This does take a special touch and you don't want to apply much force at all. You also need a dial indicator mounted to the fork.
53029168.large.jpg

Thanks Fred, I guess I see how you're doing it but I think I'll wait to see what Kawa tells the Head Tech at my dealer. After all, the bike is still under the OEM Warranty and everything around the dash and handlebars shake violently when the brakes are lightly to moderately applied from 65 MPH on down. Something is definitely wrong.

If you can get the rotors replaced under warranty that would probably be the better way to fix the problem. I only resorted to this after the dealer bawked at replacing them.

I took my front wheel assembly into my dealer today and they checked the TIR of the brake discs with the normal dial indicators (I think it's one of those Engineer thingies). The left disc was really very true (TIR wise, .002" or .003" total) but the right one was well out of Kawa's specs. They are going to replace the right one on warranty and we will see if that solves my shaking/judder/vibration problem. Hopefully so. Edit: The new rotor came in yesterday and was quickly installed on the bike. My first, very short road test indicated it is very much improved. I will be able to give it a longer test over the Holiday weekend but things are definitely looking up.

By any chance have you checked the air pressure of the front tire, or checked to see if the wheel is out of balanced or bent? Reed

I have a 2008 C14 with 3800 miles on it. Bought it 2 months ago with 1500 miles on it and I love it but have a Question. Between 2700 to 3200 RPM in any gear I constantly hear some subtle ringing or rattling noise coming from the front of the bike. Sounds like a bolt with a washer is loose. I searched many times for it but can

Just because this is what it usually is for me... Your Keys? ---------------------------------- South Central Area Director Email scad@cog-online.org
2277636501_61718d569a.jpg
<p align="left"><a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/20211686@N05/">My Photos<br

There is no keys in the ignition on the C14. Instead you have a giant stove knob key that stays in the bike. Your keys are in your pocket with your FOB. ;) Bionic Bob COG & AMA member First C14 CDA member #0220 2008 C14 & 2003 Mean Streak
2003375907710792664_th.jpg

Did a 10000km ride end of July first part of Aug, had the front right rotor warp dealer replaced with no problem,they also replaced front pressure sensor.and repaired key switch,ie was not reading fob, worked ok for a few trips but is now back to the same thing, never know if it will work or need a slap with something, have started blowing it out with air every couple of trips seems to be working ok this way. Seems that all the above issues are common for this bike. and yes it is ABS.but all in all love this bike

A friend rode down from Canada with his wife on a C14. He was riding on the Cherohala and had brake rotor problems due to fast riding two-up. As he entered a curve after a long downhill his brakes warped enough that his front wheel washed out and they went into the ditch. Fortunately they were not badly hurt and were able to ride the bike home. It's important to get some resolution on this. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

To oldnslo_MO... Thanks for the Part Numbers and web site linky. I have a question for you - The website seems to be very difficult to navigate (at least to me) how did you get the part numbers from it - or did you just call them - I couldn't find anything on the site where the Concours 14 was mentioned... Cheers from Canada, Paul.

Has anyone looked at the problem of a hard spots on the rotors due to hot pads pressing on them while stopped? Grabbing of the rotor can feel like warpage. Like when some lubricant is on the rotor. If the coefficient of friction is different on one patch of the rotor, due to heat or lubrication, then it seems to me that there's one of your symptoms. There's a good description of this in CW October 2009 by Paul Dean in the Service section

I have checked the NHTSA site, there has been only one report of warped rotors reported. With some of the problems that some has had on getting the rotors replaced I am surprised that only one complaint has been reported the NHTSA. Even though I have not encountered the problem, I wonder with the safety issue why everyone who has had the problem has not reported it. I have read where some has had the rotors to warp more than once and still have not reported this to NHTSA. Even after being informed by mom Kaw that they would not be replaced again if the replacement also warp. Friends this is a safety issue, please file a report before someone has an accident with dire results. The life you save may be your own. There I just had to get off my chest. I posted this on the other site with no response. Now I read a bike has gone down because of the problem and still the problem is not being reported. Why?

kawcon14rider - I took your post to heart and just visited the NHTSA to post my complaint. I would encourage everyone else to do likewise. 2008 C14

This is the nail on the head. My C-14 is fairly new with 3,800 miles on it. I ride two up and full luggage most of the time. Had a sligh pulsing in the front breaks. Sanding the rotors by hand fixed it. Will go with stintered pads once the stockers wear out. UP

I just recently purchased my first Concours last week, 2008 with 12,500 miles.. I am experiencing the same braking problem, hoping the dealer will replace the rotors and I will upgrade to some sintered pads... hope it works out.. so far loving the bike tho

Nate

Ya thunk K would have learned.
Similar issues with post 93  C10. Using (thinner) rotors designed for lighter bike.
Similar response from K rep in '98. Don't use the front brake so much. Ya right,,,,, on a sport touer!

Had mine doing the same. I* repaced the pads with HH pads and all is fine now. I think it has nothing to do with warpage.

Tibor_Imely_FL said:
I have a 2008 C14 with 3800 miles on it. Bought it 2 months ago with 1500 miles on it and I love it but have a Question. Between 2700 to 3200 RPM in any gear I constantly hear some subtle ringing or rattling noise coming from the front of the bike. Sounds like a bolt with a washer is loose. I searched many times for it but can

I have a 08, and my vibration happens at 3,300-4,000 rpm.  A lot of guys have chimed in on other posts that also have this issue.  It is inside the instrument cluster.  I took my whole front assembly apart two weeks ago and did not have any luck fixing the noise.  My solution to this problem was to install my XM radio onto my bike and crank up Pearl Jam while I am riding,  :) :)

Steve

Haven't had the displeasure of running into this yet as my C14 is only a week old, but for those who have kawcon14rider hit the nail on the head.  FILE A REPORT WITH THE NHTSA!!!!  Also document (time, date, who you spoke with, what action was taken, etc.) all your dealings with the dealer and Kawasaki regarding the matter in writing as soon as it happens.  Even if they agree to replace them under warranty, document it all. 

This is the only way we can force Kawasaki to address and resolve the problem.  Either they'll get enough calls from the NHTSA to do a voluntary recall or the NHTSA will get enough complaints to investigate the issue and force Kawasaki to do a recall.  If all else fails, with enough hard data and evidence of Kawasaki admitting to the problem by replacing rotors under warranty, there's always the option of a class action lawsuit as a last resort.  Don't think the system works?  Just ask Toyota.

Getting on a forum and complaining about it over and over isn't going to fix the underlying problem.

Yes HH pads fix mine also. Before the HH pad it would dive up and down with brakes on. Installed the HH pads and work fine.

I've noticed some unusual vibration with my 2009 with 6500 miles.  It's not a lateral shimmy but more like an oscillation along the longitudinal axis (frontwards and backwards).  At first I thought it was some oil or other contaminant on the rotors, but after reading this thread I wonder if it's warpage of the rotors.  I'm changing the front from the Bridgestone OEM to the Michelin Pilot Road 2 this week to rule out the front tire as the culprit.  It's fairly bald with a triangular cross section and some cupping.  If the tire change doesn't help maybe I'll change the pads and clean the rotors.  It's still under warranty in case it's the rotors.

Good luck Digger,
  My dealer told me there are no problems with Kawasaki rotors.  I put a pair of Galfer wave rotors on and fixed my problem.  My right rotor was my problem, it had hard spots or thin spot (you can describe it either way but it feels like shudder).  My
Galfers feel great and I have no shudder. 

Mick

I changed the front tire and the shimmy went away.  After 500 miles on the Michelin PR2s I can say they are a big improvement over the stockers.  Handling is now much better- wasn't bad before but now I feel more confident leaning it over further.  I love this bike!