• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front end growl when cornering

pradsliff

Scooter
I noticed on my last trip that every time I corner, a low end growl emanates from somewhere in the front. It almost sounds like metal rubbing on metal. I'm sure it's not good. I know I have front suspension problems and am planning to replace the fork seals and oil soon. But any suggestions on what this might be? Wheel bearings? Dragging caliper?

bad wheel bearings will make the rotors bind onto the brake pads.
Removed the wheel and check the bearings.
Stock bearings normally don't make it past 75k. (unless you re-grease them)

How is your front tire?  Last dunlop  I had on there was a growler when it was getting close to wear bars. It was quiet going straight but lean it and it growled. If it is the bearings Murph has good ones in stock ready to ship. Make sure to get good quality bearings, nsk, fag, no chinese crap if you go elsewhere.

I can verify the Dunlops howl like crazy when leaned.  Doesn't take much wear, either.  Even though my wheel bearings are perfect, and the steering head bearings are adjusted properly (no decel wobble at all), all the Dunlops I've had do this.  I've tried touring, sport touring, and sport Dunlops.  The howl always starts soon after install.

Yeah believe it or not it's tire noise.
Took me forever to figure it out on my BMW but now I know what it is when I ride my Concours.
You can tell just by going straight it's fine and as you ease in to a corner the noise is terrible drives me crazy.
But I do still have the stock tires on mine hopefully not for long.

Plus as the tire gets more miles on it they normally get louder.
Had a set of tires on my maxima one time after about 20,000 miles i couldn't stand the constant growl so I replaced perfectly good tire.
They were great traction and wet weather tires but very noisy.

But if you notice not much of the tread of the font tire hits the road service while going straight but when you corner a lot more of the tread service is making contact.
If the tire has started getting any cupping that makes the sound much louder.

zetec7 said:
I can verify the Dunlops howl like crazy when leaned.  Doesn't take much wear, either.  Even though my wheel bearings are perfect, and the steering head bearings are adjusted properly (no decel wobble at all), all the Dunlops I've had do this.  I've tried touring, sport touring, and sport Dunlops.  The howl always starts soon after install.

I use Dunlop 404's front and back and have never heard any kind of noise out of them. That's with new tread all the way down to "should have been replaced already tread". I do my share of leaning deep in curves too.

Even mild lean on PR2s create a banshee howl now that I have a few kms on them. I have a ways to go before exposing the wear bars. Still handles nice.....

Thanks for all the comments. I run Avons (Storm 2 Ultra front in 110/80 VR18, and Azaro 150/80 VR16 rear - original OEM spec sizes). I am probably 2/3 through the life of the front tire. The rear is pretty new due to a replacement after having a flat.

The sound is absent when going straight. It comes on when I initiate a turn, and then continues as I am in the turn. My only real question is whether I need to check the bearings prior to getting a new front tire because it's a safety issue. If it is not a safety issue, then I would wait until I get a new tire.

This question might be moot because I really need to replace the fork seals, and when I do that, I have convinced myself to replace the wheel bearings and the steering head bearings just for good measure and while I have the whole thing apart.

So, if anyone can give me a strong feeling on the safety aspect of riding this another thousand miles or so before addressing the bearings, I am all ears.

Bob_C_CT said:
How is your front tire?  Last dunlop  I had on there was a growler when it was getting close to wear bars. It was quiet going straight but lean it and it growled.

2X

Every other tire gets new wheel bearings. EVERY tire no matter what the brand is quiet for most of its life but eventually starts to howl, growl, sing, etc. on my 2000 Connie when leaned over. Pop on a new tire, nice and quiet..... for a while.

For peace of mind I would get the front tire up in the air and check for wheel to axle freeplay side to side and any weird noise while spinning it. If in doubt remove wheel and check bearings. Maybe try changing tire pressure very temporarily +3/-3 psi and ride around the block to see if the sound changes.

dave_h said:
zetec7 said:

I use Dunlop 404's front and back and have never heard any kind of noise out of them. That's with new tread all the way down to "should have been replaced already tread". I do my share of leaning deep in curves too.

Hey!  So YOU'RE the one who got the tires I ordered - the non-howling ones!!

Another +1 for tire "growl".
My dad has about 40k on his GL1800 and has always run Dunlop Elites. It scared me too the first time I chucked it into a corner and the tires made their wail! There was no sound when the bike was vertical, just when leaned one side or the other. Every set of Dunlops that have been installed on his bike do this after they've got some wear. Definitely worth checking the bearings though when the wheel is removed-
Good luck w/ it pradsliff :beerchug:

Once you are sure everything is cool with the bearings and front end just put ear plugs in and ride it.

Don't let this turn into a dreaded tire thread
It is free to remove the tire and inspect the bearings, which I am betting on because I have seen and replaced soo many, both on my bikes and other folk's conni' s
Best done in the garage and not a parking lot at a weekend rally like most of the ones I fixed for folks,,,,, they were lucky some of us carry spares, and tools

TO MAN OF BLUES

I haven't ever replaced a bearing set yet. I have both OEM and Chilton manuals and have done my share of car wrenching in my life. Do you have a resource that would you point me to in addition to the manuals when doing this? Especially if I need specialized tools? Obviously I can RTFM myself, so I am looking for knowledge that is outside the manuals if you've got it to share. And thanks!

FINAL WRAP-UP:

Well all, I replaced my front and rear wheel bearings and lo' and behold, the growl that I was hearing when cornering went away! Thanks to everyone for all the advice.

Grats!

And you had mentioned replacing steering bearing... I would recommend that you not do this unless absolutely needed. However, it wouldn't hurt to take the triples out and clean and lubricate the steering bearing.

Well its just the fender amplifying the vibrations from the  tire tread.

Remove the fender and do a trial run.

The fenders mounting point is at the nodal point which helps to transfer the vibe to the fender thus radiating the annoying tone !