• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

front fork oil - change only

John_Atkinson

all,

I am about to embark on some long-overdue maintenance on Zeke and would like to freshen up the fork oil while I've got my sleeves rolled up......

I have had Progressive brand springs in the bike since shortly after I got it and won't likely be changing these for a while yet until I have a few extra shekels saved up for a set of Sonics.

Can anyone direct me to the best source for performing a simple fluid change? Mine is a '91 so I believe I have the fork oil drain holes at the bottom of the forks.

Also -  I have both 15- and 20-weight fork oil.....any suggestions as to which one to use? Im about 250 lbs and don't ride too hard in the turns...

thx,
JA

John,

The Summer 2010 Concourier has an article by Larry Buck about changing fork oil on the C10.

Since you've got the drain holes, I'd put it at about a 2 on a scale of 10.  Not much more involved than changing the engine oil, IMO.

I would use whatever weight recommended by progressive, short of that I'd be inclined to use 15W