• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

front fork reinstall

psg

Big Wheel
Does the top of the fork extend above the top of the triple tree?  or Does it stop right where the chrome of the upper part of the leg begin to show?  psg

It's about flush with the top of the clip-on mounts. Many of us slide the tubs up about 10mm more to quicken the steering. HTH, steve

actually, no, there's the top triple clamp, and the handlebars - the clip-ons - bolt down onto the top triple. The clipons are appx 1/2" think, so the forks extend at least that much above the top triple clamp. steve

Ok, no joking my skills.

forks.jpg

On my bike the tops of the tubes are beveled.  From the bottom of that bevel to the upper clamp is 3/4". I believe mine had never had the forks off of it, so it may be OEM.  Someone else could probably verify.

That is what I guessed but wanted to make sure I wasn't forgetting something.  I appreciate the diagram.  psg

Steve in Sunny Fla said:
It's about flush with the top of the clip-on mounts. Many of us slide the tubs up about 10mm more to quicken the steering. HTH, steve

Does this affect the stability while cruising?  I'm willing to try it and see if i like it (however, it turns pretty well for me like it is.  I'm not 100% mine is bone stock though)

Greg,

It does change the steering geometry, but it results in a very small change in the rake angle, so you probably won't notice much difference while cruising.  The only way to find out is to try it.  It's easy enough to change back if you need to.

The forks are rebuilt with the new springs from murph and everything is in place and the bolts are tight.  Let me affirm if you haven't already replaced the stock springs in your bike, make it a priority.  When I got this bike this past summer I was disappointed over time with the handling and pothole and rough road response.  No longer!  These springs inspire confidence and the bike is so much the better.  Thanks for the comments and help in getting me back on the road.  psg