• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

front tip over bars

Hi, I put on the Rivco product from Burlington, WI that Murph sells. Front bars and back bars. My fiancee helped get the back ones on too. I recommend using a flex-head socket-head wrench to fully tighten the front bars at the top of the bars. For the other bolts, crescent wrench or box wrenches will work. That top bolt is trickier to tighten up. You don't have to pull away the radiator to get at the engine mount bolts. Use a 'knuckle-buster' or universal socket with extension on your socket to reach across the inside of the engine area. When you take off the radiator duct covers, there are notches you have to cut into the plastic. Be careful but I suggest using aviation snips to be precise. I have before and after pictures but not closeups of the work I am afraid. Matt

As Matt did, I've instslled the RIVCO bars. They were worth their weight in gold when I dropped the Connie at a gas station, the bike resting on them instead of on the plastic ! The install is easy, just a bit time consuming to do it right. I trimmed the plastic air baffles with a hand saw, starting much smaller than the instruction diagrams and enlarging the notches a little at a time until they fit right, with just enough clearance.

Hi There I looked on the RIVCO site but I couldn't find the bars. Are they the same bars that are sold through Murph's? http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=90&products_id=127&osCsid=368eeea1e4e275d067298a05017e8c2d Also, are the highway pegs necessary or do the bars themselves sick out enough to offer a place to rest your feet for short periods of time? Thx Dale

I was wondering if I could have driven the 25 miles to RIVCO and picked up the bars myself. But, not to be. RIVCO does not sell them directly. The installed front bars did not protrude enough for my 6' frame to reach around the deflectors to rest my feet on the bars. I chose to buy Kurakyn offset pegs. I like how they stick out farther and downward to rest my weary feet. Matt Kuryakyn Dually Footpegs with Offset Mounts and 1-1/4 inch Clamps - Pair RTI01

ManWorkingHere said:
I was wondering if I could have driven the 25 miles to RIVCO and picked up the bars myself.  But, not to be.  RIVCO does not sell them directly.      The installed front bars did not protrude enough for my 6' frame to reach around the deflectors to rest my feet on the bars.      I chose to buy Kurakyn offset pegs.  I like how they stick out farther and downward to rest my weary feet.      Matt    Kuryakyn Dually Footpegs with Offset Mounts and 1-1/4 inch Clamps - Pair RTI01

Funny you should mention that.  I was sitting here reading this post and thinking........Burlington...Choclotate City, I can buzz down there and pick a set up direct :))  Thanks for checking it out.  Sitting here in Milwaukee.