• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front Tire Install/What am I missing?

tiggerspeed

Training Wheels
^-^

Took the front tire off to fix a broken valve stem.  Came off without an issue.

Now trying to put it back on and for the life of me, can't get it high enough to line the holes up to get the axel put through.  It seems like there is not enough "space" or room to get the speedo assembly and floating nut on the other side.  Do I have to physically seperate the forks?  Have I missed another key element?

So I admit defeat on this task for the moment  :truce: to ask the COGdom what the hell I'm missing and why this has turned so difficult?  :mad:  :mad:

It's a snug fit but it is doable. I put the bike on the centerstand with a floor jack under the motor. Raise or lower the jack until the axle hole in the forks marches the height of the wheel. That way you are not trying to lift the wheel as well. Just push the wheel towards the rear of the bike, holding the spacer and the speedo drive in place. I also rotate the fork lowers slightly to get them started.

Oh, I also took off the front fender and calipers before I took off the wheel.

Be sure the speedo drive is fully engaged in the hub. It is easy to not do this, and end up with what you are describing. Also, watch that the speedo lug engages between the two lugs on the fork.

2Fast said:
Be sure the speedo drive is fully engaged in the hub. It is easy to not do this, and end up with what you are describing. Also, watch that the speedo lug engages between the two lugs on the fork.

Speaking of the speedo........I got the wheel on, axel through, tightened, etc.....  Put the speedo cable back on, and noticed that the speedo assembly has about a quarter inch of play.  It stops on both sides, but I don't know if this is normal or not.  Is it supposed to be fixed in one place with no movement, or is some movement to be expected?

WillyP said:
If you can move that thing your axle is not tight.

I was afraid you were gonna say that.  I think I figured it out.  There is a little bit of play until you clamp down the pinch bolts.  Once I clamped those down, everything snugged right up.  Took for a test ride and everything seems to be dandy.  Thanks to everybody for the help.  :beerchug:  ;D