• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Front tire stand for C-14

Stubby

I'm looking into changing my own tires and was wondering what you guys use for front tire stands on the C-14? I figger the center stand will work for the rear just looking for help with the front.
Thanks for any help.

I use a block of wood and a small bottle jack under the engine to lift the front end off the ground, while the bike is on the center stand.

My Pit Bull race stand (pin type) doesn'yt work on the C14 unfortunately, and I didn't want to spring for another $100+.  I looked around and Cycle Gear has a front stand on sale for $44.  It's not bad quality and works great.  The only downside (and this may be true of any front stand) is that it lifts the front just a bit too high, so the rear tire touches down.  I rolled the bike onto 2X6's, put it on the center stand (on a 2X6) and then pull the rear board out before lifting the front.  Had both wheels off like this.  Works great; very stable.
Hydraulic jacks are OK, but I've had them "deflate" and pitch the bike down in the middle of the night (not my C14!).  So if you use one, make it a good one.

Cap'n Bob said:
I use a block of wood and a small bottle jack under the engine to lift the front end off the ground, while the bike is on the center stand.

Same here, but I put the cstand up on a piece of 1" thick wood

Or you could make your own out of steel electrical conduit for about $10 (or so):

2039861500053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

This is out of 1/2" stuff, 3/4" would be much stronger.

Dan

Bergmen said:
Or you could make your own out of steel electrical conduit for about $10 (or so):

2039861500053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

Dan

More details I like that...

JQ said:
Bergmen said:

Dan

More details I like that...

What you see is more of a "proof of concept" rather than a refined design but it does work well (although a bit weak).

Here is another photo:

2623502210053667879S600x600Q85.jpg

This is made up of two 900 elbows plus 5 couplers. It would be much stronger if the tubing was upsized to 3/4" and fastened more securely than the couplers (which are not intended for structural attachment). I have a cut-off eye bolt to index into the bottom of the hollow steering stem.

The concept is simple and it works perfectly. My design just needs more rigidity to work well (even though I use it all the time). The lengths of the legs just need to be derived empirically for your motorcycle.

Dan

Cap'n Bob said:

:iagree:

A few pieces of scrap 2x4 stacked up with a folded towel between the wood and  belly pan.

Thanks for the info guys I desiding between the bottle jack and a pit bull front stand. Now on to looking at tire changing stands/tools.  ;)

S Smith said:
Cap'n Bob said:

:iagree:

A few pieces of scrap 2x4 stacked up with a folded towel between the wood and  belly pan.

same here. But I added a 1' sq piece or 3/4" ply for stability. That and the whole stack is screwed together with 3" deck screws

I know I am setting myself up for some comments about overkill here but thought I would risk it to share my experience.

After having a couple of back surgeries and prior to that years of sitting on the floor of the garage working on stuff....I invested in a lift and could not be happier.  It takes up a little space but the beauty of it is the ability to get your 'project' up at a level where you are not crouched down.  It expands enough where I can also use it for my ATV's, lawn tractor, and the occasional golf cart but the sides come off so it is nice and narrow for working on a bike.  I have also used to to raise and lower stuff I am loading or unloading out of the pickup truck bed. 

Specifically to your need....it has a drop-out floor for wheel removal and with a little creativity and some extra tie-down straps I have had several bikes on the lift with both wheels off for tire changes. 

Set me back about $500 but I use it enough to make it worthwhile and when I am not using it....it is low enough that I can position it to store under my truck. 

My front stands don't lift the front wheel on my 14 off of the ground enough to get the wheel out from under the fender. I have to take the dang fender off either way, so I usually use a small floor jack under the header collector to raise the front. Then I can adjust the lift on the front to neutral the weight so the wheel rolls in and out of place rather than lifting it to insert axle...

I use a fork stand while the bike is on the center stand and just make sure to bungee the stand so it cannot slip off the fork legs.  I also put a jack under the engine, not to life but so that it cannot tip forward should the fork stand move....

Ddtmoto:  I've had the same front fender clearance issue using my race stand.  I ended up removing the front pair of fender mounting bolts, very slightly loosening the rear pair, and just tilting the fender back/up a bit (maybe an inch elevation at the front edge).  The wheel clears no problem, and you don't have to mess with jacks, etc.

Yeah, my 2bros front stand has a pretty good kickup where it is raised off the floor for hand clearance, it may take a couple of inches that the fender needs to be raised to clear. I will try harder next time it has to comes off and check this route. Good plan....

I just put it on the centerstand behind my car. Run a ratcheting tie down strap from the luggage rack to under the bumper of the car and snug it down until the front tire is off the ground. The fender bolts will need to be taken out to allow the front of the fender to be raised. Then it rolls right out. Or I guess the tire stand would be another way to go... ;D