• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel leak

connie

Good Morning,
This is my first post. Great site, Thanks.
I have an 09 c14 w/2500 mi. that leaks fuel out of the two overflow tubes near the kickstand when I start it after a cool down. It is only a small amount, and it doesn't seem to happen all the time. I do not overfill the tank. Have any of you experienced this, and is this normal? I called the dealer,where it (not a Kawasaki dealer), and they say it sounds normal but will look at it if I would like. I'm skeptical. Any thought would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks RS

Mine would push fuel out the overflow when the tank was full, due to fluid expansion. This happening normally if the sun was on it or it the ambient temperature became very warm. It normally would happen sitting on the side stand, not running. This is when I would notice it.
So my question is:  Are you sure it is only when you start it, that you see this? Or could this be when you just happen to notice it?

I bought the bike in Ma. w/ 850mi. used. I do not think it's a CA model, but am not sure. After it sat for a few days indoors with a 3/4 full tank I found a small stain of varnish smelling fuel about 2" wide. I started it up, and a few drops, and then a small stream of fresh smelling fuel came out. Then it reduces to an occational drop. I think the bike may have been sitting for over a year, which may have something to do with the varnish smell, which may have something to do with the leaking. I hate to think some newbe at the dealer will be tearing into my Connie chasing a ghost. I would rather be that newbe fixing what hopefully will be a small problem. Any help is appreciated. RS

Given that history, it may be possible the vent valves in the gas cap are gummed up and stuck open, allowing fuel to leak out just as if the tank was over full and pushed out by expansion.  That, or one of the other drain hoses has a potential fuel source I'm not thinking of at the moment.

With 3/4 of a tank of fuel, that just should not happen.  It might be a worthwhile exercise to disassemble and clean the gas cap, and at the same time, perform the cool mod that Fred has documented which allows you to close and latch the cap without using the key.  Every time I get fuel, I have to say a small "Thanks" to Fred for that one.  ;)

I found that the small vent at the gas cap was clogged. I sprayed a quick blast of carb cleaner and followed up by blowing though with a small hose w/cone from my mighty vac. It seemed to have cleared an obstruction and no more leak. I will confirm if this really fixed it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. Where can I find the mod to not need a key for fuel cap? That sounds like a great mod.
Thanks again RS

RS said:
I found that the small vent at the gas cap was clogged. I sprayed a quick blast of carb cleaner and followed up by blowing though with a small hose w/cone from my mighty vac. It seemed to have cleared an obstruction and no more leak. I will confirm if this really fixed it tomorrow. Thanks for all your help. Where can I find the mod to not need a key for fuel cap? That sounds like a great mod.
Thanks again RS

Good news, glad to hear it's all better.  8)

As for the gas cap mod, Fred has step by step instructions that he graciously provides here : http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/gascapmod

I double checked on the fuel leak and it seems to stopped totally!! Thanks C1 and  Fred for the gas cap mod, however I must be missing something. How do you open the gas cap without a key? I think I can do the mod, I just don't understand what it does. I'll be away from my computer this week, but will check back later. Thanks again. RS

RS said:
I double checked on the fuel leak and it seems to stopped totally!! Thanks C1 and  Fred for the gas cap mod, however I must be missing something. How do you open the gas cap without a key? I think I can do the mod, I just don't understand what it does. I'll be away from my computer this week, but will check back later. Thanks again. RS

Good to hear you fixed it.  :)

As for the mod, you still use the key to open the cap, but after the mod you don't need to use the key to CLOSE the cap (just push down on it).  This way you can remove the key as soon as you open the cap, and put it back in the ignition to minimize risk of it getting bent (the key metal is rather soft, and the large knob makes it easier to bend it).