• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

fuel pump noise?

orangewingnut

i noticed a electric noise  that occured every minute or so after parking the bike after a ride. it lasted for approximately 3 seconds each time and then stopped. I had just filled it with gas and rode it for 10 or so miles before parking the bike. I have the bike for less than 2 weeks and im not too familiar wth its sounds etc.

Has anyone else experienced this? I have 200 miles left before it goes in for the 600 mile service, so ill ask about it then. I am curious to find out what it is though.

Speaking of services, the manual calls for a service at 1000 miles, but also stresses that the 600 mile service is critical. Am i supposed to take it in at 600 and 1000 miles?

Thanks,

Bill
2011 concours abs

Can you be a bit more descriptive of what the noise sounds like? If it's a whistling noise, its probably the gas tank venting.

I'm not aware of any electric noises after the bike is shut off.

Personally, I'd recommend you do the 600 mile service yourself and use the money you save on it to buy the service manual. Its just a glorified oil change and checking a few fasteners.

thanks fred,

the noise sounded like someone was using an electric drill inside a building nearby, which is what i thought it was at first. One of my riding buddies confirmed that it was in fact, coming from my concours. Lasted about 3 seconds each time ... about a minute apart.

So does kawasaki want you to change the oil at 600 and then again at 1000, which is according to the owner's manual, the first oil change??

I know that sound, it's the fuel tank vent valve whistling.  I hear mine all the time when the temperature around the bike is changing enough to cause a difference of pressure inside the tank (expanding or contracting).  Lasts for 4 or 5 seconds when it does it?

I don't remember anything about changing oil at 1000, just the first change at 600.  Personally, after seeing what my oil looked like a 600, I wished I had changed it sooner, like maybe at 100.

Is the key on or off I hear a weird noise only to be that selonoid allows the glove box to be open I disconnect the selonoid now no. more noise that glove boxes lock was really worthless
Im new here from salt lake city

Next time it happens, open the gas tank lid and see if it stops. If you hear a whoosh of air when you do, then that is probably what is happening. when you park the bike, heat rises off the engine and heats up the gas tank and the gas in it expands and it begins to blow off excess pressure out the vent.