• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fuel Tank Capacity Question

Pardon me for a rookie question, especially if turns out to be particularly stupid. :) I have a 2000 Concours 1000. The specs say, and user experience (at least on this forum) indicates a fuel tank capacity of 7 gallons +. However, in my relatively short time (2 months) when I have run the tank to empty (at least by sight and by the gauge) I have not put more than 3 gallons and the tank fills. Anyone out there see this issue? Thanks, Mark Sheppard San Bernardino, CA

Hi Mark The original Concours has a fuel capacity of 7.5 gallons. Reserve kicks in at about 1.7 gallons of remaining fuel, providing you flip the petcock to the reserve position of course. The fuel gauge on the C10 is historically inaccurate and most owners find that the fuel gauge reads empty far sooner than it should. On all of my C10's, with the exception of my 2004, I adjusted the tank float to have the gauge needle in the red zone at the point reserve kicks in. On my 2004, I chose to adjust my fuel gauge through an electrical modification, basically adding a resistor to the electrical feed. There is information available from C10 owners on this type of mod. Anyway, if your your fuel gauge is reading near empty and you're only adding only 3 gallons of fuel then your gauge is out of adjustment and needs to be fixed by one of the methods I mentioned above. The other option is to either monitor your range using the odometer of wait till your bike sputters looking for reserve which should give you at least another 50 miles before you go dry. Kevin

7.5 gal is correct, as is the stock gauge being extremely pessimistic. The resistor mod is currently the easiest way to make it a bit more optimistic. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

The C14 fuel capacity is 5.8 gallons so the range is not as good as the original Concours. However, the 6th gear is a true overdrive so the RPMs are much lower at highway speeds offering similar to better cruising MPG. I find the the combined MPG (city / Hwy) to be comparable to my old C10's as long as you don't crank it up. I typically average 38 -42 MPG City and over 50 MPG highway so I've never run out of gas before I'm ready for a butt break. Kevin

Kevin are you for real? 50 mpg on the highway? Thats funny, because the articles that I've read about the 2010's new "eco mode" is supposed to increase gas mileage. If you're getting 50 without it why would the manufacture worry about installing something like "eco mode?" I'm delighted to hear that you can manage such a number because that was a concern of mine (albeit a small one). The articles I read regarding the 2008-09 models were apparently only achieving around 36 mpg city and around 40 mpg highway. By the way, are your driving in an area that is relatively flat? ""

I took my red 09 from Washington State back to CO and KS last summer. The bike was well broken in and had a new set of PR-2's front and back. I went a total of 3317 miles and averaged 42.7 mpg for the entire trip. There were times I was well over the speed limit. This was until I learned the way the bike felt at the speed limit. Lets just say the trip across MT was quick. On the way back I rode part of I-15 which is posted at 80 in UT. I know Kawasaki says the C-14 gets 36 MPG, but in real life mine does a lot better, even with the bags loaded down. I would go about 220 miles between fill ups depending on gas stop locations. I missed a turn off and ended up going much further on a tank than planned. I hate it when the gas pump and low fuel starts flashing and not know exactly where the next gas station is at.

Mark Just to be clear, the 50 MPG highway I stated was simply to show that the C14 has the capability of achieving on par gas mileage to the old C10 under ideal conditions at highway legal speeds based on the fact that the 6th gear, unlike the C10's 6th gear, is a true overdrive gear which keeps the RPMs low at posted highway speeds. All of that equates to very good gas mileage to engine size ratio. Having said that, most people won't ride their C14's in that fashion so mileage will be lower. The point is, given that the C14 has a 1352cc engine, the gas mileage, either City or Highway, is not too shabby, but the 5.8 gallon tank limits range so big K engineers offered a solution to increase range on the 2010 model by changing the fuel mapping rather than re-designing the bike to add a larger tank. I happen to think that is a fairly creative solution (if it works). The bottom line though is that fuel mileage is very much Operator dependent. If someone is debating buying a C14 because of slightly worse gas mileage and shorter range than the Concours classic, then they should look elsewhere, cause gas mileage is not the reason to buy this Sport Tourer, its fun factor. Kevin

Thanks for the reply. I decided to test the tank by letting it run out on its own, so your reply confirmed the wisdom of that for me! (what the hell, I joined AMA and got the roadside assistance if I need it!) Mark Sheppard San Bernardino, CA

I guess all of the C-10's are like that, mine is but I took the easy way out, I zero the trip meter when I fill it up and know at around 225 or so it'll run out and I'll have about 1.5 gallons left or about 50-60 miles. Works every time.......

I zero the trip meter when I fill it up and know at around 225 or so it'll run out and I'll have about 1.5 gallons left or about 50-60 miles. Works every time.......
Except in a bad head/cross wind or if yer heavy on the loud stick. :) Miles at reserve * 1.25 gives me a reel good idear of when I'm gonna be walking. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

Mine hits reserve between 240 and 250. At 240 I check the position of the petcock handle to A, see that I do have it in the run position and B, remind myself which way I need to turn it for reserve. If I'm going to be in twistys or in a high traffic area, as in stop lights, I will go ahead and put it on reserve at that time to be sure she doesn't die on me. At speed I'll let her run dry in the on position before switching to reserve at the first sign of a cough. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

Measured capacities (bone dry empty tank, Concours on center stand): 1) 40 ounces, 1.25 quarts, .31 gallons up to bottom of reserve (unuseable fuel). 2) 187 ounces, 5.84 quarts, 1.46 gallons reserve capacity. 3) 736 ounces, 23 quarts, 5.75 gallons main capacity. Total fuel capacity = 7.52 gallons. Useable fuel capacity = 7.21 gallons. Conditions are likely to vary with road and riding conditions (rear lower off center stand, gas sloshing around while in motion, etc.). JMHO Dan

when my gauge hits E on my 87 C10 I run out and have to put it on reserve. The first time it happened to me I immediately stopped and filled up and it took 5.1 gallons.