• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Full Riding Suit. Do you use one?

mjincp

With the exception of full leathers that I wore back in the 70's, I've never used a full suit for street riding - always just a jacket and pants. (both m/c apparel, not jeans).  Lately been considering a full textile suit to wear over street clothes.  Seems it might be nice to arrive and remove the suit and be in comfortable street clothes for recreation after arrival.  Jeans or shorts, and a t-shirt under the suit.  Only have to remove boots and replace with sandals or tennis shoes, and I'm good to go on a hike, or sightseeing, lunch, or whatever.

Do you use a full riding suit?  What has been your experience?  Think I want to try this out.

MJ,
I am actually looking into getting a suit as well. Let me know what you come up with. I am looking at some closeout hi-vis stuff from Olympia at Revzilla. Also a local bm'er dealer has my size in stock even cheaper!
Matt

+1 on the Aerostitch.

I've got a Roadcrafter, and really, really like it.

In the summer I just wear shorts and a tee-shirt under it, and store it in my givi topcase.

I have absolutely zero regrets in getting it.  It's something that I use every time I leave the driveway...

Jeff

mattchewn said:
MJ,
I am actually looking into getting a suit as well. Let me know what you come up with. I am looking at some closeout hi-vis stuff from Olympia at Revzilla. Also a local bm'er dealer has my size in stock even cheaper!
Matt

Hi Matt,
                After a LOT of digging and reading,I just got a jacket/pants combo from Wayne at Motoport in California. My thinking on it was why buy a suit made in China for 2/3 the price of something made in the USA and serviced if needed here!

I will go so far as to say that to me after my research that 99% of the riding gear sold today is a hoax and monetary rip off to the buyer! This also includes Aerostitch! Strong words I know but that was the conclusion I came to after getting into this! Of course if your Guardian Angel can stay perched on your shoulder it does not matter. Here is an article from a guy that did a 70 mph get off  with  Motoport Gear.

All this to say if you are serious about real gear with real protection,look into this a little. Plenty of info and real world experience but you have to dig it out. I know you have your own experience to go on,just sayin!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507934

Hi,
    It does not matter! Material and Workmanship are the same for ANYTHING that comes between you and the asphalt!!!  :eek:

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
    It does not matter! Material and Workmanship are the same for ANYTHING that comes between you and the asphalt!!!  :eek:

I wouldn't agree with that....  nope.  First, comfort for all the time you're NOT sliding down an asphalt road,
second, cheap materials will NOT fare as well in a bad situation...  A seam rips... ooch.  Material wears through
before you stop sliding... ooch.  Armor does not fully protect vital organs on an impact... dead.

Material and Workmanship has to be there.... for me anyway. 

I'm gonna watch this thread too.... as a jacket/pant guy at the moment, I'd consider a one piece, but would
want to go in as an 'informed' buyer.  :great:

Hi,
    Either I wrote it wrong or you read it wrong! I just spent north of $1000 to buy the best outfit that is made in the World IMO! That being Motoport! What I was trying to convey is that most off the shelf rider wear is not made of the best materials to save your hide in a slide and are actually a rip off to my mind. YMMV!

seagiant1 said:
Hi,
    Either I wrote it wrong or you read it wrong! I just spent north of $1000 to buy the best outfit that is made in the World IMO! That being Motoport! What I was trying to convey is that most off the shelf rider wear is not made of the best materials to save your hide in a slide and are actually a rip off to my mind. YMMV!

Ahhhhh....  Thank you for 'clearing the air' and I have to agree with you there.  Let's say I read it wrong.  :eek:

I doubt I can spend top $$$ for top of the line, but I WOULD want a quality made suit...  I think a better mesh
jacket is inevitable.  I've got a LOT of expensive things on the wish list right now...  I need to hit lotto....  :-[

First, they are too hot. Second, I prefer the convenience of a jacket...stopping at a business, or restaurant, etc, and walking in wearing a full suit? No thanks.  :))

2fast said:
I got one of these last year and love it.  http://www.aerostich.com/roadcrafter-light-one-piece-suit.html 

I also got one of these if it is really really hot and I don't care about rain protection. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/38487/i/olympia-stealth-one-piece-mesh-tech-suit

I prefer the Stich cause it vents well and if I am cool I just close it up.  No rain gear needed.

Last year I went with Stich as well.  I went 2 piece with a Darrien coat with AD1 pants.  I can't imagine anything better FOR ME. 
Very versatile gear being warm enough to wear commuting down into the 30's, vents well enough for 90's, water proof, and protects very well. 

Joe said:
2fast said:
I got one of these last year and love it.  http://www.aerostich.com/roadcrafter-light-one-piece-suit.html 

I also got one of these if it is really really hot and I don't care about rain protection. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/38487/i/olympia-stealth-one-piece-mesh-tech-suit

I prefer the Stich cause it vents well and if I am cool I just close it up.  No rain gear needed.

Last year I went with Stich as well.  I went 2 piece with a Darrien coat with AD1 pants.  I can't imagine anything better FOR ME. 
Very versatile gear being warm enough to wear commuting down into the 30's, vents well enough for 90's, water proof, and protects very well.

+1 on Stich.  :great:  I went one piece, super fast to get into and as I ride in the rainy PNW, I felt it would offer just a bit more WP.  I wear street clothes underneath and keep shoes at the office.  I have two piece leathers for summer if the Stich proves to be too hot.

I use separate jackets and pants. Yes, I have more than one of each. That way I can mix and match them to the weather and my needs for that ride.

First, to answer the original question, yes, I have used one piece riding suits, both leather and synthetic. But I have since moved on to two piece because I find them more versatile, and if I have to admit it, I get a bit crazy in a one piece, especially leather, with a feeling of invincibility. And while the 'stich is easy to get in and out of, I didn't find it that comfortable.

That said, I have a bit of a rant, so if you're of a gentile persuasion, look away now....

seagiant1 said:
I will go so far as to say that to me after my research that 99% of the riding gear sold today is a hoax and monetary rip off to the buyer! This also includes Aerostitch!

Greg, you either work for Motoport, or are an idiot who will buy any sales pitch thrown at you. And I will not apologize for saying that because it's tame compared to what I really think.

To come here and say that all moto gear other than Motoports is a hoax and rip off is insulting. Insulting to us, to all the riders in the great racing series, and to all the other manufacturers of good moto gear. Let me ask you this - if Motoport is so eff'n great, why is it none of the MotoGP riders use it? Or World Superbike? Or AMA!!! Hmmm???

You want to know what is the most important when it comes to gear? The freaking fit! If it's loose, it doesn't matter how good the armor is, or the stitching, or the material. If it's loose, armor will shift, seams will catch, material will shred and you will be injured once that happens.

And since you called out a particular manufacturer, let me tell you that I have been with riders who have gone down in Aerostich suits. And I've been there to see the paramedics amazed when all they found was bruising when they had prepped for what they thought should be a life flight.

As for the "study" that Motoport did with the German Gov'mnt, I will put money on them only looking at accidents where cars pulled out in front of motorcyclists. How else do explain that 83% of the impact injuries were to the knee/shin and thigh areas? Hmmm? My ribs, collar bones, shoulders, and even some old helmets can prove that impact injuries when there is no car involved don't involve the thighs. Unless of course you believe in the "lay it down" theory of riding.

And I ask that you prove to us that Motoport is "Made in the USA." I can not find that anywhere on their web site. It may be sewn together in the US, but where does the fabric come from, hmmm? Probably the same factories as all the rest. And why is it the only contact info for Motoport on their web site is an email or phone number, no actual company location? Now I happen to know that Motoport is located in SoCal, but where, exactly?

Also, from Motoports web site: "Safety improvements to Motoport’s apparel were made primarily from the gear failures witnessed from 1965, when Motoport started operation, up until 1988." 

So... Motoport has not made any safety improvements since 1988?! Hmm.

BTW, Motoport was known as Difi when they started in '65. That was a respected brand in Europe back then.

Now I am familiar with Motoports products. It is a quality line. But to come here and say they are the best and everything else is fake or junk or a hoax.... well...

I think I just figured it out. You bought into the Bikeworld reviews, hook, line and sinker.

JPavlis_CA said:
Greg, you either work for Motoport, or are  ............... I think I just figured it out. You bought into the Bikeworld reviews, hook, line and sinker.

Rrrrrrrrr!  ;)  Sic em!  :-\  Good boy!    :great:

JP definitely does his homework!  :great:  And honestly I have to admit he usually is right (or at least I agree with him this time..... but don't tell him that! ). However his warm engaging and congenial communication style can sometimes overwhelm the message.......  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Oh and to the poster who said they can get in and out to their jacket faster than a one piece suit,...well if you think you can put on your pants AND jacket faster than I can put on my Roadcrafter "stich" (custom made and serviceable in the USA....Duluth is in the USA? yes? HA! :nananana:)  well I'd bet you are very wrong.....

I figure it this way. With a one piece I can never forget to put my protective pants on.  Sweat rolls off while scabs do not........ even on your lower extremities 
Choose as you may, you are an adult and it is your skin......

Peas!  :)

seagiant1 said:
mattchewn said:
MJ,
Matt

Hi Matt,
                After a LOT of digging and reading,I just got a jacket/pants combo from Wayne at Motoport in California. My thinking on it was why buy a suit made in China for 2/3 the price of something made in the USA and serviced if needed here!

I will go so far as to say that to me after my research that 99% of the riding gear sold today is a hoax and monetary rip off to the buyer! This also includes Aerostitch! Strong words I know but that was the conclusion I came to after getting into this! Of course if your Guardian Angel can stay perched on your shoulder it does not matter. Here is an article from a guy that did a 70 mph get off  with  Motoport Gear.

All this to say if you are serious about real gear with real protection,look into this a little. Plenty of info and real world experience but you have to dig it out. I know you have your own experience to go on,just sayin!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=507934

Don't know if I would go as far as call Aerostitch a rip off. But I am happy with my Motoport pants and kevlar mesh jacket.

I have a one piece Olympia Suit,very well made waterproof has a beautiful removable liner warm for winter riding with t shirt shorts under liner, tons of pockets, vents for warm weather armour were you need it,BRIGHT DAY GLO YELLOW my choice easy to see is my motto!Paid about  $500 ish about 6 years ago
Highly recommend it

The truth is that the only way to really be safe is to not ride. Or drive a car. The safest way to traverse the roads is in a Hummer H1, or a tank. As a practical matter most of us can't afford that, so we do the best we can. Personally I don't see the sense in spending $1K or more on a suit. If you get off at 75mph your biggest concern is not road rash - broken bones and organ damage is. And no suit can prevent that if you hit something solid like a guard rail or a car. It's simple physics. The gear is there to protect you on the slower get-offs and there are a lot of affordable options that can do that just as well and save you enough money to actually put some gas in the tank. That's my risk versus benefit analysis in a nutshell. Feel free to disagree with me. :great:

2linby said:
I figure it this way. With a one piece I can never forget to put my protective pants on.  Sweat rolls off while scabs do not........ even on your lower extremities 
Choose as you may, you are an adult and it is your skin......

This is a big part of the reason that I went with the 'stitch too.

I know that I am lazy.  I admit it freely.  If I had a two-piece, I know that I'd not always wear the pants.

With the 'stitch, I don't have a choice, and for me, that's the best solution.

-Jeff

PaulP said:
The truth is that the only way to really be safe is to not ride. Or drive a car. The safest way to traverse the roads is in a Hummer H1, or a tank. As a practical matter most of us can't afford that, so we do the best we can. Personally I don't see the sense in spending $1K or more on a suit. If you get off at 75mph your biggest concern is not road rash - broken bones and organ damage is. And no suit can prevent that if you hit something solid like a guard rail or a car. It's simple physics. The gear is there to protect you on the slower get-offs and there are a lot of affordable options that can do that just as well and save you enough money to actually put some gas in the tank. That's my risk versus benefit analysis in a nutshell. Feel free to disagree with me. :great:

Ok, I disagree.  ;D

I've had more damage to my body at sub 50 mph bike wrecks with limited gear than I've had at 130+ mph wrecks in full gear...

Gear up, it works!  :great: :beerchug:

ZG, were those 130mph crashes on the track, or the street? I ask because those are two very different environments. This discussion is about street driving, so that's what I was addressing. There are a lot more things to run into on the street and that's what's going to cause the most live threatening injuries. The bottom line is that any gear is better than none, but at 30mph I'm not sure a $1K suit is going to prevent injury any better than a $400 jacket and pants combo. Assuming all else is equal, of course. Frankly, I think a yearly or biyearly riders course would be a better investment.

2linby said:
JP definitely does his homework! .... However his warm engaging and congenial communication style can sometimes overwhelm the message....... 

Bob... you know me, I'll always be the first to call BS when I see it.
Pet peeves - #1) someone posting that because it happened to him, it will happen to all of us; #2) this is the best thing since "sliced bread" (especially when they overpaid for it)

If Greg had posted something about his new riding gear with his opinion of it and his customer experience with the company, I would have said good choice, Motoport is  good gear. But when he starts out by implying that we're all stupid and idiots for not using THE BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD (according to Motoport), well lets just say he didn't just push the big red button, he punched it. I'm just surprised that no one else is as annoyed as I am at his implication.

The best, or most expensive, gear in the world will not prevent all injuries. Minimize most, but prevent all? Not possible. And as for the sliding injuries Greg seems to be concerned with by buying into Motoports marketing, 90% of the gear on the market today will hold up to a one time slide on the pavement at street riding speeds. But you have to wear it and it has to fit properly.

And it bugs me that Motoport has no company info other than a phone number and email. That just ain't right in this day and age. If I was looking for gear and saw that on their web site, I'd walk away. Been burned too many times by "companies" that don't provide full company info. But then, there's only one moto gear company I will buy from over the phone or web, and that's Bate's Custom Leathers http://www.batesleathers.com/boots/ I know from experience that their stuff fits me properly, but YFMV.

BTW, the worst injury I ever had was on my bicycle when I ruptured my spleen at 2mph and almost died before they got me to the hospital. Go figure.

JPavlis_CA said:
2linby said:
JP definitely does his homework! .... However his warm engaging and congenial communication style can sometimes overwhelm the message....... 

Bob... you know me, I'll always be the first to call BS when I see it.
Pet peeves - #1) someone posting that because it happened to him, it will happen to all of us; #2) this is the best thing since "sliced bread" (especially when they overpaid for it)

Jp. It's all good! And believe you me I wholeheartedly agree with you. After all I spent $$$ on my stitch!

However I don't think I'd ever wear it while riding my bicycle!  Oh and like you I've had greater injuries on my bicycles than I've ever had on a motorcycle!

While I agree that any gear is better than no gear, I'm not sure I'd agree that more expensive gear isn't better than less expensive gear as PaulP states. More expensive gear will get you better armor, more abrasion resistant material and (most important) a better fit. Why is better fit important? Because if it fits better it is more comfortable and you are more likely to wear it. PaulP is entitled to his opinion but IMO he's misguided.

I didn't respond to Greg's post because, he's entitled to his opinion. If he's happy with his gear, good for him. Personally, I'm happy with my gear from Aerostitch. It fits, it's comfortable, it's functional and hopefully I'll never have to discover how effective it is.

Wow, I bought the lightweight Stitch 2 weeks ago, now I feel ripped off.  ::)
I'm still getting used to it but I've noticed that for store/errand commuting it's a lot less practical than just taking off a jacket.
Still probably gonna need the mesh gear when the dew point's over 70F though.

One more thing, why hasn't Dave Muir weighed in on this?  :rotflmao: 

Zorlac said:
Wow, I bought the lightweight Stitch 2 weeks ago, now I feel ripped off.  ::)
I'm still getting used to it but I've noticed that for store/errand commuting it's a lot less practical than just taking off a jacket.
Still probably gonna need the mesh gear when the dew point's over 70F though.

One more thing, why hasn't Dave Muir weighed in on this?  :rotflmao:

Probably because no one has mentioned wearing, or not wearing a helmet with that one piece stitch!  ;)

ZG, you were doing 130mph on the street? No offense dude, but that's just crazy. Your gear didn't save you, it was just pure luck. Physics trumps everything and I know that inertia goes with with the square of the velocity. If you had hit something solid at that speed it would have killed you, pure and simple.

I agree that fitment and comfort are important. But you don't necessarily have to spend big bugs to get that. I tried on a lot of jackets and pants before I found a combination that worked for me. Construction and quality are also important, but there's a limit here beyond which it does not make much sense. I'm sure that after a nasty long slide the stitch or other expensive suit would be much more likely to be still serviceable than my Tourmaster Jacket and Scorpion EXO pants. But my insurance will cover the replacement costs anyway. And wouldn't you want new gear after something like that? I bought my current gear after a get off at 40mph. The bike was totalled and I only had minor injuries, but I'm convinced I would have had none (except a bruise or two) if I had been wearing my current gear. An Aerostitch or Motoport could not have done any better. This is my experience and opinion. If you want to spend more, then go for it. Just don't imply I'm an idiot or don't care about my safety just because I don't. And that's all I have to say about that.  ;D