• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Full Zippered Covers

Scary Harry

Fear is not boring. COG# 4090
Pulled my battery to inspect the connections and I spotted signs of mice looking for a good time.  :mad:

So I think I will invest in a bike cover that fully zips up from top to bottom. I want to roll the C14 over a base bottom cover, then zip it all up so the bad guys stay out.
I have traps but some of them still get past my defenses.  :(

Anyone using such a device and/or recommendations?

Google "portable motorcycle garage" and several will come up. Find a few options that you like and then Google those for reviews.

https://www.google.com/search?q=portable+motorcycle+garage&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=portable+motorcycle+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10181j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Most are just covers and don't "fully enclose" the bike. Another option would be a Very Large Plastic Bag, but you'd also want to place some of those moisture absorbing packs inside of it with the bike.

Then there's the Rat/Mouse Poison.... Placing several in close proximity of the bike will work as well. This may or may not be an option for you, depending on small children or pets that could come in contact with it.

Will a full surround enclosure actually stop mice from getting in???  :-[

Those buggers will chew through ANYTHING except metal.

The Pope said:
Google "portable motorcycle garage" and several will come up. Find a few options that you like and then Google those for reviews.

https://www.google.com/search?q=portable+motorcycle+garage&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=portable+motorcycle+&aqs=chrome.0.0j69i57j0l4.10181j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Most are just covers and don't "fully enclose" the bike. Another option would be a Very Large Plastic Bag, but you'd also want to place some of those moisture absorbing packs inside of it with the bike.

Then there's the Rat/Mouse Poison.... Placing several in close proximity of the bike will work as well. This may or may not be an option for you, depending on small children or pets that could come in contact with it.

Them mice can fit through an impossibly narrow opening. Portable garage looks pretty good, but won't stop motorcycle mice.
I thought of the plastic bag option where I just roll over a big plastic sheet and then wrap it up. I may try that.

Another idea I came up with is to build a hard plastic skirt that would wrap around the bike. It would be at least two feet high and fit flush with the floor. Mice can jump about 13" so this could be an effective barrier. They don't carry grappling hooks or ladders and so i would just need to keep the bike parked away from the wall.

I looked inside the bike for nests and didn't see any. They may have explored the bike and decided to move on.

I'm going to setup more traps and surround the bike with Fresh Cab repellent around the wheels and kickstand until i can find a better solution.

Found it for ya Harry...…
  Glad I could help.

https://www.****ssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-oversized-recreational-40deg-sleeping-bag-16fnsafsrcrtnlsbgcsl/16fnsafsrcrtnlsbgcsl

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Found it for ya Harry...…
  Glad I could help.

https://www.****ssportinggoods.com/p/field-stream-oversized-recreational-40deg-sleeping-bag-16fnsafsrcrtnlsbgcsl/16fnsafsrcrtnlsbgcsl

Ride safe, Ted

Ted, somewhere in your tortured past, things went terribly wrong.

giphy.gif

connie_rider said:
Ok, ok,,, try this. And to think,,,,, ya though I wasn't being helpful...
https://www.tesproducts.com/

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/fully-enclosed-motorcycle-cover?a=777443

NOTE: I still like the pointy one {posted previously} for you!
            Better fit...….

Ride safe, Ted

They may work.
Read some reviews and some folks not happy, plus the cost is high only to watch mice eat through them.  :(

I picked up some stuff from the hardware store to try for an idea and adding more traps. If it works, I'll share the info. If it doesn't work, I can always blame Ted.

I think I have a cost effective solution.

It turns out that a 9' x 12' tarp is a perfect size to pull up around the bike.
I purchased a plastic 3 mil drop cloth and layed it on the floor. Pushed the bike over it, and pulled up the sides. It doesn't cover the bike so moisture can get out. On the inside, I put down some sticky box mouse traps so that if a mouse manages to get in, he/she/it will find a new challenge.

If this holds up, then I may upgrade to a 10 mil tarp with grommets so I can easily sinch it up using bungee cords.

Looks like this be be the routine for winter storage.

Upgrading my bucket traps.
I have one of these and they are easy to make.

https://youtu.be/eF6xwUSkT1k

ghostrider990 said:
Pics on the Tarp solution, or it never happended.  ;D :D

gr

Doubters, a dime a dozen.

I like this. It is slippery so I don't see how the little buggers can get a grip on it.

Attachments

• wrappedc14.jpg
    wrappedc14.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 103
Harry Martin said:
Pulled my battery to inspect the connections and I spotted signs of mice looking for a good time.  :mad:

So I think I will invest in a bike cover that fully zips up from top to bottom. I want to roll the C14 over a base bottom cover, then zip it all up so the bad guys stay out.

Harry, I just went through the same problem, but unfortunately the mice had their party and I have a dead bike. It’s in the shop now getting brought back to life. Man Of Blues put out a recipe that he says has prevented the problem for years.
6 habaneros
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cooking oil
Blend this mixture with water to bring up volume, strain it through a coffee filter into a spray bottle.  Spray the wiring on your bike, and any other area you see rodent activity, including the side and center stands.
As soon as I get my bike back I’ll be doing this in addition to an assortment of traps. I don’t think a zip up cover will solve your issue

I was keeping bird seed in those square kitty litter buckets. Mice chewed holes right through those to get the seed! Then just a couple weeks ago they discovered my C14....Yumm! I’ve been in the same house since’88, and never had a single mouse that I was aware of til a neighbor started raising chickens, spreading chick feed all over the ground. Other neighbors said the same thing, as far as never having mice. In any case, mice or rats will chew through anything unless it’s metal, so now I keep bird seed in 2gal metal cans with lids!

My $2 plastic tarp is working just fine.

I inspect it every time I visit the garage and if I see any chew holes, I will replace it immediatly.
In the mean time, the log roll of death (bucket traps) are catching the mice just fine.
They can't resist that peanut butter bait. >:D

bucket-trap.jpg

Bruiser said:
Harry Martin said:

Harry, I just went through the same problem, but unfortunately the mice had their party and I have a dead bike. It’s in the shop now getting brought back to life. Man Of Blues put out a recipe that he says has prevented the problem for years.
6 habaneros
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cooking oil
Blend this mixture with water to bring up volume, strain it through a coffee filter into a spray bottle.  Spray the wiring on your bike, and any other area you see rodent activity, including the side and center stands.
As soon as I get my bike back I’ll be doing this in addition to an assortment of traps. I don’t think a zip up cover will solve your issue

did I actually post that "recipe"...?

I think it was a bit different, I have to go back and check, but I think the quantities are a bit off...
anyways, here again, maybe a bit different... but LOW CAL....

6-8 habanero peppers, whole.
6 garlic cloves
1/2 Teaspoon cooking oil (can be replaced by a common dish soap, same quantity, but only added to mixture after pouring filtered solution into bottle,,,)
Blend this mixture with 12 oz HOT water and then strain it through a coffee filter into a spray bottle and top up with hot water to make a quart.  (you may add the minimal dish washing soap then, I prefer the soap to the oil..)

shake well, and spray.

as I grow peppers, (Mostly Ghost, and Habanero, and also Carolina reaper...) and always have an over abundance of ones with "bad spots/non eaters" I "Sun dry sliced open" many of them, between layers of screen, on my picnic table..,they aren't for consumption;  I resign those to a "max batch" of concentrate, like a 2 liter bottle full, 5x extra concentrated, so I can pour 4 oz. in my sprayer, and fill with hot water..

MAN OF BLUES said:
Bruiser said:
Harry Martin said:

6 habaneros
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cooking oil

I think it was a bit different, I have to go back and check, but I think the quantities are a bit off...

6 garlic cloves
1/2 Teaspoon cooking oil (can be replaced by a common dish soap, same quantity, but only added to mixture after pouring filtered solution into bottle,,,)
Blend this mixture with 12 oz HOT water and then strain it through a coffee filter into a spray bottle and top up with hot water to make a quart.  (you may add the minimal dish washing soap then, I prefer the soap to the oil..)

shake well, and spray.

as I grow peppers, (Mostly Ghost, and Habanero, and also Carolina reaper...) and always have an over abundance of ones with "bad spots/non eaters" I "Sun dry sliced open" many of them, between layers of screen, on my picnic table..,they aren't for consumption;  I resign those to a "max batch" of concentrate, like a 2 liter bottle full, 5x extra concentrated, so I can pour 4 oz. in my sprayer, and fill with hot water..

I bet Ted would drink that stuff. Just saying.

MAN OF BLUES said:
Bruiser said:
Harry Martin said:

So I think I will invest in a bike cover that fully zips up from top to bottom. I want to roll the C14 over a base bottom cover, then zip it all up so the bad guys stay out. We

6 habaneros
6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup cooking oil

6 garlic cloves

shake well, and spray.

Man of Blues, I was trying to go by memory when quoting your recipe😊

Bruiser said:
Man of Blues, I was trying to go by memory when quoting your recipe😊

:rotflmao: :rotflmao: ;)

no harm, no foul...

just didn't want anyone to make it "too oily"... over lubeing is never good... :rotflmao: :rotflmao: