• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Fun with fork springs...

beardothebeardo3680

When I got my 2006 about a month ago, it came with a box-o-stuff. In there are two sets of fork springs.

https://cardelloelectricsupply-my.s...RBoUGuvdfEB9gBbhTtiMBOE75RO4TmipHBqQ?e=B05iJF

The set in the bottom of the picture, out of the box, I suspect are the originals.

The ones in the box do not look like springs I recall being Progressive Suspension. The box is Progressive. The seller stated the original owner installed Progressives. But I don't recall Progressives coming with steel spacers. I've always seen Progressives come with PVC spacers.

So, this begs the question, what manufacturer of springs are in the box?

The reason I care? The forks feel like mush. Not 'sporting' at all. The condition of the fluid in the forks? Not known yet.

Any ideas?

By the way, my apologies for my lack of computer knowledge. I can't get the picture to post.

Posting pics directly to the forum is only available to full members. Many cut the springs to remove the progressive section and replace that part with a spacer. That firms things up a bit. The best is springs suited to your weight. If modded stock works for you, then you're in luck! Consider adding cartridge emulators. Well worth the effort.

Bud, while I appreciate your sentiments, I'm just looking for info on what is in the box. I should have been more clear in my first port, which I was not, after re-reading it. My apologies for that. I'm putting the bare minimum of funds into this bike, so if I can get these springs deciphered, then I'll be in luck.

You are right, stock C-10 springs are soft and have a LOT of brake dive.

I think the springs in the box are stock C-10 springs and spacer from an early 86-90?
Not entirely sure what the other spring is. Might be springs from a later model C-10's.
The tightly wound section of both springs is the soft/progressive part of the spring.

The Progressives brand Springs are probably in your bike.

Bud is mostly right. (don't tell anyone I sed that)
ie: The spacer you install does Nothing to increase the firmness. It's just a spacer that occupies space.
You stiffen the front of your bike by removing some of the spring coils.
This works because you are reducing the number of coils that deflect when the spring is compressed, and making the remaining coils deflect more.
(Remove some of the tightly wound coils for the most effect)

Disclaimer: I'm not a suspension Guru, just a poor boy that likes to tinker. Others with more knowledge can/will correct my errors.
Somewhere in the Forum is a post I did when I did mine. I'll try to find it for you.

Ride safe, Ted

Last edited:
I should probably give a bit of my background. Been on two wheels for 30 years. Been inside more frontends than I care to admit, for not getting paid to do the work. I know how to go about fixing said issues, from the el-cheapo methods, to completely converting stock forks to cartridges, to doing complete frontend conversions, on various machines over the years. Unfortunately for me, I don't have a stock parts base of knowledge on these C10's, like I do for other machines. I just simply jumped into this bike. Wrenching on this bike, is dead nuts simple. There is absolutely nothing complicated about this machine, whatsoever. Just need to learn the nuances of it. For instance, the drains for the carbs have been done, along with a '2 minute mod jet kit' done.

So, if both sets of springs are stock for the different generations of C10's, then I can let this go and move onto something else.

Probably not any time soon. The fork seals are not leaking, at this time, so no need. There are more pressing issues, and this bike, unfortunately, the deeper I dig, the worse off it becomes, has many issues. So, I'm in the process of setting a baseline. This weekend, will be doing valves, spark plugs, carburetor cleaning (the old air filter was literally breaking down), synchronizing the carbs, and anything else that I come across. Thankfully, the electric butchary, has been very light-handed and easily remedied, so far. But I also haven't had a chance to take the tank off, so that remains to be seen.

The box without the spacers look a lot like the stock ones in both my 99 and 05. The one with the spacers not a clue. It may be from an older fork with air assist. My overhaul manual shows a spacer between the springs and air cap.