• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

FZR1

oldsawfiler

Crotch Rocket
Help me keep my sanity. I stopped at local dealer today and they have a 05 FZ1 with about 10,000 on the clock. Extremely tempting, I can not justify 2 bikes. Both son just got new R bikes one an R1 and the other an R6. I really need a new bike to keep up, right?

It's nickname is "Phazer" but to us Gixxer owners it's a fizzer. They are great bikes all around, and are called the sport bike for guys over 40. I've considered one and ended up with a ZZR1200 Kaw. The 1200 has 145 rwhp and goes 190mph, a good sport tourer and it can keep up with these boys. David in Jax COG# 7898 www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com /reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline. com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zz r1200/index.html

Well... I think the concours is about even with my R6 up to about 3rd gear on the concours or 2nd on my R6.... Unless I realy want to tear it up lol.

I had an fz6 for about 10 months before I got a cruiser and a connie.  I had a good seating position and great torque.  the fz1 is a whole other beast.  Just be sure you like the half fairings (most people go naked and they look AMZING), but the resale on the is very poor, people dont want a SPORT touring sport bike, they want an r6 or more.  Oh btw the fz6 had an R6 engine in them so I dunno if the fz1 has an R1 in it or not.

The beast in question... I told him he can't have a bike with the same color scheme as mine...
yamaha-fz1-2w.jpg

I am the proud owner of an '05 FZ-1 and it is a great all around bike.  If you're primarily riding one up it makes for a great sport touring mount.  Up to '05 it had good, old fashioned, by God carburetors and a steel tube frame.  It actually lost some power after the update and they shrunk the fuel capacity by about a half gallon.  You can probably get one for a good price and can be reasonably sure it wasn't abused, unlike most sportbikes on the used market.  I put on some SW Motech quick release bag mounts and run Givi hard bags and a trunk.  When I get to where I'm going I pop off the bags and mounts and go back to sport mode with just the trunk.  You wouldn't even know it had bag mounts.  The motor is actually a detuned circa 2000 R1 motor and even in stock trim is plenty powerful.  It did run a bit rough down low though.  I put in an Ivan's jet kit, K&N filter, Akropovic CF street legal (well in Europe at least.. ;D) exhaust.  Had it dyno tuned and now its pulling 131 hp and 75 ft/lbs at the rear wheel.  More than enough... >:D  It also took care of some of the carburetion problems.  I'm 6'1" and a not quite svelte 235 lbs and it fits me quite well.  I find the half fairing actually gives decent protection when paired with a taller shield, a Givi in my case.  I'm closing in on 24k miles with no major mechanical problems (knock on wood! :p).  First valve service is 26k and ya can't beat that!  All in all a great mature (ahem...well semi-mature ;D) riders mount.