• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Garmin 550 screen went bad

cjny01

Training Wheels
My Garmin Zumo 550 screen went bad so I called Garmin and they wanted $175 for me to send it in and have it repaired.

For $175 bucks all I would get is a new $50 screen. They would not sell me the screen.

I went online and and found a place that sells just the screen for $85.

If you need a new screen for a Zumo 400, 450, 550 you can get one here

http://www.portatronics.com/
portatronics, Inc.
307 W 38th St #826
10018 New York NY

I've had people report that if you get a little feisty with Garmin reps, that they might just send you a refurbished unit, even outside of warranty.  Something about the 550 being marketed as tough as nails, and for $500+ it should live up to the hype.  Can't hurt to make a stink, no?

Garmins website says it will do an out of warranty exchange for $150.00 and that includes shipping. I just did my Quest 2 about a month ago, the one the sent looked and acts brand new.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

norm-9688 said:
Garmins website says it will do an out of warranty exchange for $150.00 and that includes shipping. I just did my Quest 2 about a month ago, the one the sent looked and acts brand new.

http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html

Yes, BDF has done a few of the exchanges on his Zumo. He has a knack for killing them!  :))

Same failure here. I was REALLY nice to the customer service gal but firm and got the re-furbished unit for half price. $75

All over the place but my record so far is three days. The previous record was five days for two different units. My current Zumo 550 failed to power up three days after I got it. They really, really need a reset button on them. I have also had a Zumo mount fail on me when the contacts corroded and failed to conduct anymore.

Garmin will exchange the unit for a fixed price (it was $150 a few weeks ago) once it is outside warranty <almost> no matter what is wrong with it and no matter who's fault the failure is (my last unit had a scratched screen and it would not function as a touch screen- my fault).

You can buy a new touch screen on Ebay for something like $20 from China, or an entire new screen, including the display screen, for something like $35, also on Ebay, also from China.

GPS's are fantastic and I am a big fan but they have not proven reliable in my experience. A friend of mine used to go on and on about how he has never had one fail and this is his XX Garmin..... until he did a Saddlesore 1000 and had a Zumo fail on the ride. I always travel with two GPSs unless I am going a long way from home and am counting on a GPS getting me back... then I carry three. Boeing will tell you the same thing- the most reliable jet engine in the entire world is two jet engines.

Brian

MKorn said:
How old are these units when they fail?

Damn, for the price of a Zumo i would expect them to last a lot longer.

I miss the ability to up load routes and down load my tracks from my cheap Nuvi.
but i just cant spend $400+ on something that just wont last. and then to have to pay another $150 for Garmin to fix it is a shame.

i also carry 2 on trips ... main is a Nuvi and if it rains or we want to plan a route i use my eTrex Cx that i have for camping, boating and dirt biking.

MKorn said:
Damn, for the price of a Zumo i would expect them to last a lot longer.

I miss the ability to up load routes and down load my tracks from my cheap Nuvi.
but i just cant spend $400+ on something that just wont last. and then to have to pay another $150 for Garmin to fix it is a shame.

i also carry 2 on trips ... main is a Nuvi and if it rains or we want to plan a route i use my eTrex Cx that i have for camping, boating and dirt biking.

I absolutely would love a 550 but just can't justify the price based on my touring. I've taken a different approach and opted for $50 refurbs that are not uv or water proof. Wally world always has a bunch of them.

Mike said:
I absolutely would love a 550 but just can't justify the price based on my touring. I've taken a different approach and opted for $50 refurbs that are not uv or water proof. Wally world always has a bunch of them.

i wouldnt mind one either ... but the prices keeps me away.
I will check into the referbish unites ... 50-70 would be ideal to me.