• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Garmin Street Piolt 2xxx LCD peeling

suzukijay

Mini Bike
Anyone else out there with an LCD screen that is "peeling"? There is a protective covering over the LCD screen that is flaking off but isn't causing any problems w/ how the GPS functions. It is much harder to see the LCD screen in the areas that has flaked off.

I have heard of this but my refurbished one has been fine for a couple years. I am sure there is no cheaper solution then a new one. I bet there are no more refurbished one left but you can look. I got mine for $100 using my AMA discount. Photos[/url]

I think Guy Young had a problem with his some time back. You might check with Garmin. Jim Culp says they will repair a 2610 for $100. Might be worth a try. Eddie

I think you can remove all of the coating and replace it with a protective coating designed for camera's and blackberry type screens. I remember reading somewhere about this same problem and the author found the new film at radio shack. Give it a try, a LOT cheaper than $100. Steve

+1

Garmin will refurbish the unit for $100.  I think they do that for all discontinued models they still support. 

D.

All,

Thaks for all the responses gentlemen 

Here's the update on the GPS.  The peeling got worse (imagine that) and eventually all of it came off.  That thin layer of ? made it easy for you finger to glide over the screen but it still worked.....for a while. 

The SP 2730 screen died 3 weeks ago.  :'(  The screen went out all of the sudden one day so I pulled over to check the fuses, etc.  All the electrical connections looked good so I took it off the bike and hooked it to the PC.  The PC recognized the GPS and I was able to download all of the tracks, routes, etc.  :)  I turned off the light in the room and noticed that the buttons all lit up so maybe the GPS was salvageable?

Garmin said that they will replace the screen or it is worse than that they will replace the GPS for $160.  What do you think: go for it or put the money into a new GPS?

If you really like the way this one works and really hate learning new things then do it.  Other wise new gets you new maps and features and maybe a warranty.

rneal55555_NH said:
It'll be tough to buy a new one with the features you have for $160.
The biggest problem is getting a waterproof GPS that has all the features of the old SP 2730. 

Some of the non-waterproof GPS models have a lot of screen real estate and you can get them for under $200.  I really like the Zumo 550 but can't find anything under $500.  Maybe Garmin will bring down the prices of the Zumo line down in 2011?

Garmin is renowned for their customer service. I'd say for for the screen replacement and, if it turns out that that's not going to fix the problem, take the $160 offer. Well worth it compared to what;s out there now.

All,

I called Garmin to check on the status of my GPS and they said it already shipped out.  When I got home it was waiting there for me.  It looks beautiful.  :) :) :)

It is a refurbished unit so I will need to transfer ownership w/ Garmin (swap S/Ns) just in case I need to call for support in the near future. 

The customer service person asked if there was anything else I needed.  I asked if she could suggest to management that it is almost Christmas and maybe if they drop the price on the Zumo 550 more motorcyclists would have a new Garmin under the Christmas tree this year. ;D ;D ;D