• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Garmin Zumo XT2 Discussion

S Smith

Northeast Area Director
Garmin recently announced the new Zumo XT2.
  • Larger screen
  • Visual Route Planner
  • Compatible with Tread mobile app
  • Group Tracking
  • $599.99

After 20+ years of using my Nuvi I bought the XT2. I didn't wire it direct to battery, I bought a cigar lighter type power supply because I wanted it switched. It's a cheap one and it tends to vibrate loose, my OEM Garmin plug never did. I may rewire it later. I changed the fuse to 3amp the same as the inline fuse that comes with the XT2. I used my existing RAM mount that is a center mount. It covers the tach up to 4k which doesnt matter and it covers a little of the speedo but the Garmin has a digital so that's moot. This thing is big enough to watch TV on.
I used to make my own routes using Streets and Trips. It was really nice and easy but the software is 10 years old now and doesn't work very well anymore. I found that Google Maps with https://mapstogpx.com/ is a really great way to make custom routes. It just takes some trial and error. The Tread app is good.
Here is the best thing. The Adventure Slider. Chose a town or POI and bump it up to 4. It will take you to where you swear you can hear banjos. It's supposed to do dirt roads but i turned that off, so far all mostly pavement. The speed limit warning is great. Road construction warning. It shows notifications from your phone so you know when you have a call or text. (I don't have a bluetooth headset).
This thing has made me love riding again. I spent almost 20 years in the PNW and I road all over that beautiful place. East Texas is not so pretty and it can be a little boring and the XT2 is the answer for me.

@dejen3303 glad to see you are loving riding again!!!!

For the 12V socket - wrap a small rubber band around the male plug and when inserted the interference and ‘traction’ of the rubber will keep the plug in. The plug coming loose will eventually become such a nuisance (or worse yet a dangerous distraction) that your new found love for riding will be all but forgotten.

Wayne, Carol & Blue