• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

gas coming out of the exhaust

jsn27282

it is warm today so i started the bike. once it was running, gas started running, not dripping out of the left exhaust pipe. anyone ever heard of this? if so, what could be the problem? Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Honda Rebel 450 (wife's sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

Jeff, I can't imagine any condition that would permit raw gas to come out of the exhaust of a running bike. Maybe some of the wizards will respond with some ideas. Eddie Sanford, FL 2005 Concours 1969 Triumph Bonneville AMA# 686667 COG# 7073 CDA# 0136 http://picasaweb.google.com/Eddie753

how was it running? was it hard starting? did it sound like it's hittin on all 4? are you sure it wasn't just condensation with a gassy smell? how long has it been sitting? how's the oil look and smell? i guess if everything landed just right when you shut her down last, you could have a sticky float needle and flowed gas through the cylinder and into the exhaust and just pushed it out when you cranked her up but i would think most of that would evaporate fairly quickly. don't worry the experts will be along shortly but a little better description will help. hth, tom

i don't think it was running on all 4. and yes, it was gas & not condensation. believe me, i checked multiple times. as the bike was running, it literally ran out like i had turned the water faucet on. when i shut the bike down, the shortly there after, the flow would slow to a drip, then stop. the weather has been cold as shi* in VA the past 2-4 weeks, so i am hoping this is just temporary. maybe something froze up?? anyway, if anyone can shed some light, please do so Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Honda Rebel 450 (wife's sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

jeff, does the gas flow start again if you put the petcock on prime? oh and DON'T try to run the bike anymore. it almost sounds like the dreaded hydrolock but the bikes running. first thing i would do is pull the plugs and see where you're at with the gas in the cylinders. spin it over with the plugs removed to get rid of any unburned fuel check for spark and go from there. sorry i'm not more help but i know how it feels when you're having a problem and not sure what to do. i'm sure you'll get some more knowledgeable replies soon. you might want to try and contact sisf (steve in sunny florida) from what i know he's been all through these bikes and he'll probably know right away what's up. good luck, tom

Jeff, That doesn't sound good at all. I can't offer much more than whats been pointed out. Well, maybe a little. Pull the fuel line from the pet **** and make sure there is no fuel flow in the on or reserve position. Sounds like a funky fuel valve along with a stuck needle valve in the carb. The #1 carb is usually the suspect. I hope a tech ed. kicks in here soon.......

now about 1-2 months ago i did put in a new petcock as my old 1 was leaking. i wouldn't think that has anything to do with it. I'll taking my son & cousins skiing this weekend, so let me try these things next week & get back to you. Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Honda Rebel 450 (wife's sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

This happened to me once on the way back from a Moonshine rally. My bike was also puking gas out of the #1 carb overflow tube as well, due to a tiny piece of crap stuck in the float valve needle seat. The bike would still run, but the cylinder was flooded and gas was just passing through on the way out the exhaust. I managed to get it going enough on three cylinders to get home (it was a Sunday, snow/sleeting in the 30's) but I was afraid the whole way I was going to catch fire and explode on the highway. And, I could just about watch the gas needle moving down as I rode- I was getting about 10 mpg. You can imagine what the plug looked like after I got home and got her apart. But once I had the carb problem resolved, and made sure there was no gas in the cylinder, she fired up OK and has run fine ever since. Every once in a while you just get lucky... :blush: Hope this helps. Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Jeff, this is what I'd do... If the petcock's leaking, fix that 1st. Drain float bowls 1 and 2, examine what comes out. Flush the bowls with petcock on prime and tap on em with a screwdriver etc. Make sure the cylinder isn't flooded before ya try to start it again. 01 Conc, Mijami Floriduh OTP 06: http://tinyurl.com/2vk9o2 route map: http://tinyurl.com/4p7pmd
yzdfi9.jpg
yzdfib.jpg
yzdfia.jpg
y6x7zt.jpg

no the petcock is not leaking since i put the new one on. i'll try these next week when i'm back in town & see how they go Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Honda Rebel 450 (wife's sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

Surly is a float needle stuck full open. If your petcock was not working gas could have been everywhere before you even started up. I had gas in the pipe before while draining the bowls. I let them get empty and one must have jammed down full open. Once I got it freed up it was fine again. Did yours sit long enough that the bowls could have evaporated dry? In any case correcting the problems, protecting from hydrolock and replacing oil are in the future. Photos[/url]

If you start with a FULL tank (for more pressure) and are careful, running the bike while you drain the bowls (as well as rapping on the bowl), "may" help shake the debris on the offending float needle free so it'll flush out. Good Luck!

OK, so yesterday, i clear the carbs & all kinds of crap come out. i got brave & started the bike. it seemingly ran perfect. i'll change the oil once it stops raining. Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Honda Rebel 450 (wife's sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

Awesome! Yep definitely change the oil, it's going to be a bit 'thin'. ;) Steve K. '02 Concours 'Locomotive Breath' COG# 6550 AMA# 965469 'No matter where you go, there you are...'
2822107220014238429Coipiz_th.jpg
2901812650014238429UfVKJm_th.jpg

Jeff, The stuff that came out of the carbs originated from your gas tank. You might want to siphon out the gas in your tank as it sounds like it might be rusting from the inside out. Before you siphon the gas make sure that you put a good gas filter (preferably clear) so you can see all the rust particles that you can't see by just looking down through the gas cap. OK, so yesterday, i clear the carbs & all kinds of crap come out. i got brave & started the bike. it seemingly ran perfect. i'll change the oil once it stops raining.

A new fuel line might be in order also. Joe 1968 Honda 160 Scrambler, Sold / 1979 Kawasaki SR 650, Traded in for next one, 1978 Kawasaki KZ 1000 Z1R Turbo / 1986 Kawasaki ZX 1000R Ninja / 1999 Kawasaki Concours COG memb# 8645

OK, after 1-1/2 months of bad weather, i'm finally able to get working on this again. cleared out the carbs & changed the oil. today, i'll check the plugs, etc & try & find a good fuel filter. Thx, Jeff Newman COG #2735 '95 Connie '05 Hyosung GT250 '86 Honda Rebel 450 (wife's sold) '90 Yamaha XT350 (sold)

had to replace 3 of the 4 spark plugs, but everything else fine. i am getting a fuel filter today. took it for a 100mi ride yesterday & had absolutely no problems.