• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gas Station disaster !

h2

Bicycle
Well, I gassed up my 2013 C14 and thank God I had my Trex frame sliders (front and back) installed. Started out, took the turn a wee bit too sharp and outer edge of right luggage frame slider juuuuust caught the protective pole at the corner of the gas pump. Nudged me to the left just enough to knock me off balance. My left foot goes down, I am struggling to keep the bike from falling over. I juuuust manage to stop it and NOW, I need to power the bike back up. So I am there, struggling, struggling, struggling with a car behind me and in front of me. Oh boy, the EGO and PRIDE !! And at that point, I say to myself...."blow out a disc or lower the bike and pick up the damn thing along with my ego !!". So ya, I let the bike go down....car in back of me backed away, car in front of me backed away also....I picked up bike and me and my hurt go rode off and I prayed that no one recognized me !!!!  :) :)At least I did not stall the bike....lol  :great:.

Moral of the story? Ego and prides heal MUCH faster than discs !!

-h2

It's great to hear both that you chose in time to avoid hurting yourself and that you had the Trex frame sliders installed at the time.  And you're right that those bags can catch in a parking lot (or at a drive-up ATM) ; it can happen when towing a trailer too... DAMHIK.  I'm really glad that neither you nor Connie was hurt, and your incident does qualify you for the CDA Award except for one thing.

You need to be a full COG member.  Don't worry, we don't make you drop her again after you've joined in order to qualify!  Most folks join if they hang around a while and like what we do here, so just drop me a line after that happens and we'll add you to the roster.

Just to avoid confusion, here are the instructions: How to Convert from Forum Subscriber to Full COG Membership

And here's where to Renew

Thanks ChipDoc, will do ! And THANK YOU for not going to make me drop her again!! :-[ :-[

Have a great day !
-h2

I managed to catch those damn side bags twice in the 18 months I've owned mine. Luckily it didn't knock me over but yeah they are a bit big in the ass of the bike. LOL. Coming from a 2007 bandit 1250 to my 2012 C14 I was terribly unprepared for the hard bags. Now I only ride with side bags if I need the extra storage. My daily commuter bag is my Givi 46 tail bag. Glad you made it out with only your ego bruised a bit. Scroll up and look for my CDA entry. Also a bruised EGO along with a baseball sized bruise on my hip.  :rotflmao:

Good grief, I actually very much DO get where you are coming from ! I have had a scooter (yes, a scooter... :-[, sold it), ninja 400 sold it, ninja 650 sold it, ninja 1000 sold it, Yamaha Raider S (which I still have) and my C14. NONE of them had side bags, C14 is the first. And man, yeah....takes some getting used to. Big *ss side cases for sure. I thought about removing the side bags and not installing the rear frame sliders but then I thought that the ONE time I actually do need to put on the side cases, I am sure I will get screwed. Ha ! So I installed them and pretty much keep the side cases on all the time. But as you well know, until your bike becomes dimensionally "instinctive", there is always a risk. DOH !!  :rotflmao:

OMG, the poor, poor guy !!! :-[ :rotflmao:....OMG, the POOR, POOR, POOOOOR BIKE !!! NOOOOO!!!!!  :'( :'( :'(

Thx for the vid, made my friday !  :great:

I have seen that video soooooo many times and because of this thread I finally noticed he snagged the saddle bag.  I must be thick headed.

I did pretty much the exact same thing one night at the local gas station when my C10 right rear tip over bar glanced that big yellow pole and I went over to the left pretty darn quick as in WTF just happened?  :-\

Don't sweat it, you're not alone.  ;D

Zorlac said:
I did pretty much the exact same thing one night at the local gas station when my C10 right rear tip over bar glanced that big yellow pole and I went over to the left pretty darn quick as in WTF just happened?  :-\

Don't sweat it, you're not alone.  ;D

Ha! Thx Zorlac....what's that phrase again? Oh right...."misery enjoys company"... :beerchug: :beerchug: And I am sure that will not be the last time in my life that something ridiculous like that happens. I am just thankful there were no "injuries" to the bike or me. Frame sliders are worth every penny, cuz as they say, "shit happens". And that's also why I where gear all the time. Accidents happen all the time and they always 2 things in common. 1) they could not be avoided, 2) they happen at the blink of an eye and solicits the reaction you had, "wtf just happened??"

Glad you and the bike were ok and glad the greatest risk to injury was pride and ego, like me.  :great: :great:

You're OK, and the bike's OK...  Very happy to hear!!

It's funny how 'people' say riding a motorcycle on the roads is dangerous,
when it seems when doing 2 mph is sooo much more 'volatile'.

I couldn't live without the integrated panniers on my C10.  Every time I think
they 'stick out', I remind myself of aftermarket hard bags, and I'm seemingly
blessed!  ;D

vfr_back_rainy1.jpg

I think some folks who hit the bags on stuff are the ones that choose not to ride with them on all the time and do not allow for the extra width . Myself , I would never ride without them .They are so usefull and the bike looks awfull without them , especially with a topbox on . just my opinion though .

cra-z1000 said:
I think some folks who hit the bags on stuff are the ones that choose not to ride with them on all the time and do not allow for the extra width . Myself , I would never ride without them .They are so usefull and the bike looks awfull without them , especially with a topbox on . just my opinion though .

Fully agree ! In fact, it was the versatility and the look of the side cases that also drew me to the C14. Hey, you get to fit a full face mask in their, not too shabby! Add that to a Givi E55 top case and you can haul around A LOT....not to mention haul *ss when you twist that throttle!!..hehe.. :great: :great: :great:

H2 said:
cra-z1000 said:

Fully agree ! In fact, it was the versatility and the look of the side cases that also drew me to the C14. Hey, you get to fit a full face mask in their, not too shabby! Add that to a Givi E55 top case and you can haul around A LOT....not to mention haul *ss when you twist that throttle!!..hehe.. :great: :great: :great:

Having the side bags included was a draw to me also, however I think the bike looks perfectly fine without them. Unless I'm going on a long ride, or somewhere where I know I'll need them I take them off. This bikes heavy enough without lugging around unnecessary extra weight, plus the bags do partially block the rear view mirrors on my C14. It's also a PITA when I scrape them getting on and off bike, although that's just because I'm a little inseam challenged!

:)) :))Funny you say that Mike, because (not sure about anyone else) but I scuff that damn right side case roughly 2 out of 10 times. Talked to a buddy of mine who is 6ft 4in...long arms, looong legs...in fact, slap some blue fur on him and I swear, he is the beast from Xmen! Anyway, he scuffs his case often also. So seems like a lack of flexibility more than anything else. Guess I'd better work on my flexibility, old age sucks.... :'(

And yes, bike also looks damn awesome without the side cases! Looks like the old ZX14 which is what the bike was based on. In my case, because I have the rear frame sliders it looks like a stunt bike. I wonder if people thought I was filming for a movie during my gas station blunder...NOT!!...lol... :)) :))

Mike said:
I bought these earlier this year...

http://techspec-usa.com/magento/kawasaki-concours-tank-grips-saddlebox-covers-combo-snake-skin.html

Expensive, but I needed protection for both tank and side bags (for right boot scraping top of right bag).

Quality is great, plus the side fairing covers allow you to grip bike with knees for more spirited riding.

Hot damn!! I have had those on my tank for a while but it was before I installed the rear frame sliders and so I wasn't riding with the side cases. No side cases, no scuffing. Out of sight, out of mind. Rear frame sliders get installed, side cases get slapped on, scuffing starts and never occurred to pick up the snake pads for the side cases. Thx for reminding me!  :great: :great: :great: Plus at the time, I got too caught up in installing other farkles.

Going to order them now in addition to the rear fender extenders from Larry.