• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gathering/Ride to Corpus Christi Texas to see the Lexington

connie_rider

This is a spur of the moment thought....
Just returned from Cliff's Rendezvous' in Arkansas.
Wow!!!!!!!!!

Been thinking of doing this for some time. Decided to post and see if anyone wants to meet me?

Need your replies soon... Who's in??

I suggest we meet in Corpus Christi Texas and see the Lexington on May 16/17 weekend.
If groups/singles can ride in from all directions, I'll arrange a motel, and a place we can have dinner together....
(Note to self: Book a Motel/Restaurant)

Not many thoughts beyond that at this minute, other than,,, "let's do it"....

Last; I haven't even asked Fred (South Central AD) if I can do this.
        I'll (next) ask for his ok/forgiveness).  >:D

"Fred", is this,, ok with you??  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If anyone lives in/near Corpus, please contact me with suggestions!

connie_rider said:
This is a spur of the moment thought....
Just returned from Cliff's Rendezvous' in Arkansas.
Wow!!!!!!!!!

Been thinking of doing this for some time. Decided to post and see if anyone wants to meet me?

Need your replies soon... Who's in??

I suggest we meet in Corpus Christi Texas and see the Lexington on May 16/17 weekend.
If groups/singles can ride in from all directions, I'll arrange a motel, and a place we can have dinner together....
(Note to self: Book a Motel/Restaurant)

Not many thoughts beyond that at this minute, other than,,, "let's do it"....

Last; I haven't even asked Fred (South Central AD) if I can do this.
        I'll (next) ask for his ok/forgiveness).  >:D

"Fred", is this,, ok with you??  ;)

Ride safe, Ted

PS: If anyone lives in/near Corpus, please contact me with suggestions!

NOW I understand why OtP runs the way it does!  :nananana: :rotflmao:

NOW I understand why OtP runs the way it does!  :nananana: :rotflmao:

Clearly you mean; NOW you understand why OtP runs as GREAT as it does!    :))

Ride safe, Ted

4 hours and no takers??
C'mon,,, who wants to go riding?  :104:

Connie Rider, I happen to reside in Corpus Christi, and will be in town the time you are proposing. Would love to meet some other COG riders. It is pretty much straight flat roads around here unless one rides around the roads at lake Mathis (Corpus Christi), which some of have done so many times we are kind of sick of that ride. However, it beats no twisties whatsoever. Keep me posted. I have been to the Lex many times and could update anyone new to the area.

I just went under the bridge in Corpus and went right by the Lexington. One day while in Port, I need to go look at that ship.

All, MFF contacted me. He lives near the Lake. (approx. 45 miles from the Lex).
As Ironjack said, there are some twisties in the Lake area... (so, some possible riding)
  Mebbe, he'll point us at those...

MFF said he has room for air mattresses at his place. (room for 10)
  I'll ask if there is room for tents. (If not; I think there is a Park near the lake with Camping)
  I've sent him a note and asked to look into a Motel near his place and a restaurant we can gather at on Sat night.

I'll check with the Lex and see if I can get us some sort of a discount for a group.

Final thought: "Nicole", if you can't make the ride, fly in,, I'll pick you up at the Corpus Airport..

NOTE: None of this is cast in stone (yet). Just trying to work out a plan and shooting from the hip.

Any other idea's?         

Ride safe, Ted

Beautiful morning in Houston this morning.
Rare that we have 50* nights and less than 80* this time of year.
Low humidity too..
I'm going riding. Will be back later to discuss...

Anyone decided to go to the Lex with me?

Ride safe, Ted

On a side note, I spent a couple of weeks a week at a time when the Lex was a training Carrier. Pretty dang little by today's standards.
Enjoy your ride. TimR

That's why I'm wanting to go see her.
I too, was aboard her, when she was used for training.
At the time (72-76) I was stationed in Beeville Texas *(VT-25).
Periodically we went to the Lex for the new pilots to do their Carrier Quals.

I've been looking for Motels in/near Mathis.
Found a La Quinta at $92 for the night.
If more are interested I'll see if I can contact La Quinta and try to set up a deal.

NOTE:
I plan to ride from Houston on that Saturday Morning.
(I'm going to take a more scenic route than Hwy 59).
If anyone wants to ride along,, let me know.

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted I'm in and if you need the low down on which hotel is worth a hoot, shoot me a pm. I'd love to meet up with you guys, so let me know. BTW I love in Corpus lol

Mo

Thanks Mo. Good to have someone else!
Wasn't sure if others would be interested in the Lex, but I served on her waaay back then and wanted to se her.

I think I'm going with the La Quinta near Mathis.
But open to suggestions.

Mathis;
MFF offered lodging at his home (near the lake) for those interested in a Air mattress on the floor.
I think there is camping at the lake, and I've heard from Ironjack that there are a few twists and turns in the road.
Trying to find a restaurant out that way with some good Catfish, or mebbe other.

Now, we just need more folks....

Ride safe, Ted

Dave, that's not a problem.
Just PM me what your lodging requirement's would be (if you come).
{Stay at Motel, stay at MFF or camp}

Ride safe, Ted

Trying to quickly spread the word
The more notes I post, the better the chance, some will see them.. <sly plan>
So, Here is an update on all info/plans.

Ride safe, Ted

RIDE/GATHERING IN CORPUS CHRISTI TEXAS TO TOUR THE LEXINGTON "May 16/17"                 

Right now, I mainly need to know,, WHO IS INTERESTED IN GOING??   ???

This is a spur of the moment thought.... I've been thinking of doing this for some time (and finally decided it was time to do it!)

While in the Navy, my Squadron went to the Lexington occasionally for perform "Carrier Quals".
          (On these trips, the New Navy Pilots could did their "first" carrier landings).
      I haven't seen the Lex. in many years, so, I'm going..

SOOOooo,,,, "I decided to post and see if anyone wants to meet me there"?

DA PLAN:
I'll be leaving Houston Saturday Morning. (May 16)
    (If anyone wants to ride in with me, I'll be at Buckey's on Crab River Road (Off of Hwy 59) that morning).
      Peg's up at 8:00 AM... and ride a rural route from Buckey's to the Lexington (Corpus Christi).

** (Others could do a similar ride from other locations).

I suggest that everyone meet in Corpus Christi Texas on May 16 (at 2:00 PM) and tour the Lexington.
    After the Lex Tour we can all ride to Mathis Texas.

Lodging:
    We can stay the night near Lake Corpus Christi at Mathis Texas.
        I'll designate a motel, (La Quinta) and a place we can have dinner together (Catfish or Mexican)....

A member (MFF) that lives in Mathis says there is room at his place for 10 if anyone wants to bring an air mattress?
          (I believe there are camping Spots at the lake as well).

I have been told that there are a few twisty roads near the lake. (Ironjack)

Sunday Morning, (May 17)  I plan to return home "via Beeville Texas".
      (Where I was stationed in 1972-76).

If you want to meet us in at the Lex, or ride with us,,, contact Ted Adcock at  ted@zggtr.org      281 586-8180

PS: If anyone lives in/near Corpus/Mathis, please contact me with suggestions!
      If anyone has special idea's we can use,, let me know.

Ride safe, Ted
"Over the Pond" slave labor
    Houston, Tex 
    COG# 4154
03' Connie  "Buddy"
14' Connie  "Traveler II"

Hasn't April already passed?

I have been to many times to justify.

If you go make sure it is cooler weather.  It gets way hot in there when 90+ and no breeze.  Good thing that area almost always has a breeze.

If in town I wil be happy to attend. Working out of town alot. I will pass the info on to Mo. I know he will attend. Ted, I spent time on the Lex when I was VT-23 in Kingsville.  Living in Portland I pass the Lex every time I go to CC. Don't forget the Texas State Aquarium is there as well, even though they had a fish kill recently.

Ted I am out ? I looked at my calendar and had committed to the vintage British bike weekend in Somerville . Thanks for coming forward and doing this .

If you plan to stay with MFF at the Lake- I need a head count- so I can order a Port-a-Pot-

On Septic System that has it's limits

Kindly advise by 5-8-2015

Sorry you can't make it Dave.

MFF;  I have 1 person that intends to stay at your place.
        I have 6 that are staying at Motel.

Not many takers on this "Meet and greet" so far.
So, we'll enjoy it anyway...

C'mon,, who else is coming?

Ride safe, Ted

Arranged a place for Sat night (16th) for catfish. Supposed to be good.
8:00 PM @ Vans Burgers and More... in Mathis...

Booked my room at La Quinta.
Found out how to get a discount there (if anyone is interested)  :-[
$86 a night (fer 2 beds) vs $117 a night...

Ride safe, Ted

Hey Ted when you get in town, give me a call. I can definitely meet up during the day on Sat 16th for some riding or socializing. I might be able to make dinner but not for sure. My # 210 426 8921

Mo

Will do.
But just in case I forget (or miss you),,, meet us at the Lex,,, (2:00-5:00)  or the Motel (6:00ish),,
Van's Burgers (8:00)...

See you there...

Ride safe, Ted

Great Fred.

The rides still a go. Some rain expected but currently down to a 30% chance.
I'm going regardless of any rain.

Who will be meeting me at Bucky's that morning?

Ride safe, Ted

connie_rider said:
Great Fred.

The rides still a go. Some rain expected but currently down to a 30% chance.
I'm going regardless of any rain.

Who will be meeting me at Bucky's that morning?

Ride safe, Ted

Dan and I plan on meeting there

Great.

If others are interested?

DA PLAN:
I'll be leaving Houston Saturday Morning. (May 16)
    (If anyone wants to ride in with me, I'll be at Buckey's on Crab River Road (Off of Hwy 59) that morning).
      Peg's up at 8:00 AM... and ride a rural route from Buckey's to the Lexington (Corpus Christi).

Ride safe, Ted

I've heard that there has been flooding in parts of Texas. But haven't heard from Corpus directly.
I'm planning to still go, as I have a forecast of less chance of rain on Sat/Sunday.
May change my plans and go directly up hwy 59. (in case there are flooding issues at the river crossings on hwy 36).

Post here if you are going etc..

Ride safe, Ted

Going to the Lexington first (in Corpus).
Then Mathis after the Lex...

Will make a final route decision tomorrow at Buckey's. (Hwy. 36 or 59)

Just watched Weather News. The weather-guesser said improving weather for the weekend...
Only 30% chance of rain. Talked to Motel. said no flooding in the area...

Ted

Jeeze Ted, that one flew over your head.

Let me restate it.

Are you going to Marshall or Corpus?  I would head down 59 if I was going to Corpus.  :))

Ok, I got it. My original plan was to do a more scenic route down (I think) 36 to Corpus.
I (ferget the Hwy #) have the route in my GPS...

Will you be at Buckey's?

Ted

The old lady still looks good.

100_0868%20%281%29-M.jpg

Had a great ride. Got home (mostly dry)..
Hit 1 hard rain shower (15 minutes). After Fred left us on Hwy 59 to go to his home...

Will try to arrange another ride.
Anyone have any idea's???

Ride safe, Ted