• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GCE Alps Rolling Rally Report COMPLETE

face33

Sport Tourer
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8munzt00pg4jnhj/AABzVFp2j2OBaf_E6g0E5X4_a?dl=0 - this is about half of the pics and largely unedited - I wanted to post this report and pics for the GCE guys. They are excellent riders and awesome people. Hope you enjoy the read. Super grateful here and quite blessed.

A friend called at 4:55 am to let me know he wasn’t forgetting to come get me. Check. I got to the bus depot on time and the MegaBus was only 20 minutes late. Check. The driver switch took another 20 minutes and an hour into the 3 hour ride the driver decided stopping at a rest stop to relieve himself was fine with us. Traffic was mounting; would I get to the airport in time? An hour late getting to the Atlanta Marta Station I quickly figured out how to ride the train to the airport saving precious time and valuable dollars. There was no drama checking in, I wasn’t searched and interrogated like usual. I, apparently, lubed up for nothing. Premier boarding access gets me quickly into my Economy Plus seat for the 7 hour ride to Milan. I was seated next to a woman with a baby in her lap. Great! His name was Sebastion and he didn’t make a peep except when he was blowing spit bubbles at me. I blew some back. We sounded like George Jetson’s car in harmony a few times. The airline had a bassinet they mounted to the wall and Sebastian had his own bed. Nice. Free wine and a seat that reclined just barely more than a church pew would do me well.

DAY 1
Landing in Milan I knew there would be security. I skipped the bathroom to get ahead of the line and I am glad I did. The line was so long behind me I could have had anything I wanted on me and in my luggage. I walked right through. OK, so let’s get my checked luggage and see how the search goes. It would have been less dramatic if I’d have chosen the correct luggage carousel in the first place. Figured it out quite late, after some heart ache, and now was wondering how long security would take so I could catch the 9:30 bus to Linate and MotoRoads to get my bike! Again, nothing. Anyone could have grabbed my suitcase and been fine. I did make the bus, but the driver wasn’t impressed that my ticket was on my phone. He played some macho drama card and marched me inside where the guy said with his hands first, ‘oh geez Carlo let the fokkin guy on the bus’. Yes, I looked at him like an idiot. My first lesson in Italian(!) So, I made it! The bus driver’s personality shone through on the road as well. I hate tailgaters, but I am getting a glimpse of Italy’s roads and drivers ahead of mounting an F800GS BMW to attack the traffic myself. And without a bus around me.

I haven't even begun to look at the Italian language. Usually I would have done at least an hour or two of prep for common motorcycle terms and touristy stuff about food and shopping. So far I have gotten by just fine with English and Spanish. Sometimes I speak Spanish and they respond in English. They want to practice speaking English, people don’t want to talk to you any longer than they have to, and they might have an easier time understanding me when I speak slow and steady Spanish vs US English spoken quickly. In Ecuador and Peru the people will speak to a red-headed white kid coming off a plane from Norway in rapid Spanish. I wonder how often that works out for them? Not here. At least not yet have I gotten an earful of Italian and had someone expect me to understand.

Seems I never appreciated the data my iPhone uses to navigate me around the world. Well, I do now. Trying to find this La Sosta Hotel without service was hard. I must mount the phone to the handlebars so I can follow the blue highlighted line mo bettah. When I found it, ahhhhhhh! What a gorgeous place. I parked, checked in and it started storming out. The chef came to find me with an umbrella and insisted I park the bike under cover and walked me back into the hotel under the umbrella and asking me what I wanted for dinner. I believe she went and shopped for beef and salad fixins for me:) Although the first bunch of Italians I met were seriously rude and looking for a fight, once I put some km between myself and the city the people became quite nice. Nice save Sosta! I am sure glad I skipped Milan.

DAY 2
Sosta was the best. I slept hard for 11 hours until they called to request my presence at breakfast. Yes please! Let’s just say all the food groups were there and it was amazing. The weather was warm, sun bright and I rolled the bike into the shade to pack it. Having found a way to mount my phone the handlebars I could see and hear the navigation. Nice. Until the phone died 75% of the way there and just when the roads got steep, winding and decisions would need to be made quickly. This is the stress I live for(!) It was fine. I was smiling so hard my teeth hurt. This day I would see some of the most gorgeous scenery imaginable. I felt like an ant riding on a giant postcard. Tunnel after tunnel with waterfalls rushing over them caused me to once again marvel at how man discovered that these roads could be built everywhere and anywhere, and then that they built them. 30 tunnels conspired to make me feel like I was in a video game. Seeing signs for Monza aided that feeling. Sometimes there was less than a quarter mile between one tunnel and the next; leaving little time at speed to decide to stop, if there was room to stop, and if the scenery could even be captured on a digital device. If only my eyes could take pictures. Between the tunnels you had extreme drops on the left and right coupled with intense mountains that looked like Colorado took steroids ahead and behind. In the distance you could see church towers watching over villages that beg to be left alone and enjoyed from afar. I hoped some of these places were saved from the endless tourists asking for wifi and bathrooms in every language but the one spoken there. Save some villages from me and those like me. In one tunnel I was passed in less than 15 seconds by 4 Porsches and 2 Ducatis. If the sound I heard was released as a single I’d buy it on iTunes immediately. Like a kid who just jumped off the diving board I wanted to do it again and again. Full throttle in a tunnel with 28 cylinders screaming by almost overtook me with emotion. Porsches usually go from the car wash to the restaurant and quite slowly where I’m from. My racier Porsche owning friends would have a blast railing these roads. And the best part is that nobody would think they were crazy for it.

When I could no longer see the mountains it meant I must be in them. Shivering is also a clue that some elevation had been reached and oxygen was getting sparce. I took a coffee break at the most expensive gas station and cafe in the world. Totally worth it. I added some layers and thick gloves when I noticed some bicyclists zooming downhill with no sleeves, no gloves, and they were going so fast I could hear the hubs whining like tiny Indy Cars racing down a straightaway. OK, so I’m not so tough in the cold. One beautiful town after another and then the unstoppable beauty of the Alps jumped out around every bend. Natural water fountains on the road side are a nice touch and they help the cyclists on their longer runs down trails that could not possibly be ridden up; though I’m sure some do. I had to stop and add another layer when it started snowing. Yes, snow in July. A couple in a Mercedes wagon stopped to ask if I needed help. Then I convinced them that they need help traveling the Alps without so much as a sunroof! They got it. Remember, no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothes. If you're not a rider, rent a convertible. Totally worth it.

Arriving in Livigno I had achieved about 6% charge on my phone. I parked near a cafe to see if it had wifi and if so I would have a coffee and get my bearings. Before I saw the name of the cafe on the wifi list I saw this: ‘Livigno Free WiFi’. Amazing. Five minutes later I was parking in a garage under my hotel and making new friends. Many countries are represented in this group and most speak English. The others probably just don’t want to talk to me:) Wasn’t long before most of us were safely in the hotel and having drinks. Then dinner. Then the last few showed up. Then a briefing and registration. And now it’s time for bed and our first ride tomorrow to make a dream of mine come true. I’m going to ride Passo Stelvio!

DAY 3
I woke up excited to lead the scenic group through some of earth’s more picturesque scenery. The day had 20 waypoints to hit, #1 and #20 being the Hotel (Montanina). 4 bikes were chasing me: BMW 1600 GTL, BMW LT1200, Kawasaki Versys 1000 and a Yamaha Tracer; known as the FZ-09 in the States. After a few photo ops we arrived at Forte de Oga; an old military fort atop a mountain with a bird’s eye view. Some went for a tour of the fortress and some of us just had a coffee and took in the scenery. The ride was cold, and awesome. The temps are wintry overnight and at elevation, high was 50*. I’d be sweating worse than a drunk preacher at a Baptism if we were riding around the mountains of TN this time of year. The cold is keeping us in our gear and that’s not a bad thing riding these roads. They can be so smooth, with flowing curves and then BAM - 1st gear right hand switchbacks were so sharp they would sometimes(often) force you into the other lane. Left handers could be handled more quickly, safely and with a bigger smile in second gear. One hairpin switchback after the other. I probably carved more corners today than any other day in my life. Italy’s DNA is on my boots and pant leg bottoms for sure. Up and down, cold up top and less cold down low. Slicing through the traffic ahead of the small towns is amazing. Passing a cop sitting in traffic is amazing. When I saw bikes pass LA’s black and white cruisers I was sold on riding and have never turned back. It’s not much different here. Hard to believe I live where I am supposed to inch along in traffic when we have the widest lanes on earth in The States.

After the fort we all had our sights set on Passo Stelvio. Life is full of setbacks and victories and riding Stelvio pass will be a victory! The best part of this trip are the routes Mika has prepared. We are hardly ever on a straight road and the scenery just slaps you in the face over and over with old world beauty. Ride leaders are provided with a color printed map and schedule each day and all riders are welcome to take pics of it, download it, and it is also posted daily on the hotel door. Excellent:) 3 of the 4 bikes following me were running GPS so I wasn’t alone in keeping us straight. We are passing through little towns and villages like the ones the car magazines are always talking about when they test Ferraris. Yes, the roads can be quite narrow, not an issue on 2 wheels:) The pace was not so much slow in terms of speed but slow in terms of passing and utilizing the roundabouts like an athlete instead of a polite traveler. If I ride my rental bike too gently I will certainly feel ripped off. And the roundabouts?! They are only 5,000 times better than traffic lights and 20,000 times more fun. I like to make a few circles if traffic allows it, but that’s just me looking always to work on my handling skills. And I’m addicted to leaning a bike over; badly addicted.

Stelvio was gorgeous, with motor and pedal bikes dominating the road. Some Porsches and a Ferrari with insectual signs of hard running splattered all over their front bumpers and mirrors were a sight to behold. I live near the Dragon in TN and I could sense a kinship to the locals who endure slow tourists while they perfect their lines. Everyone is super nice and the love of motorsports is a common bond. Yes, of course I bought a sticker (2 stickers) and a pin. The bicyclists feel like they own the road and the rest of us are polluting jerks who should also ride a bicycle in the center of the road . . . but, they have to ride in a stinky bus along these windy roads back to their hotel. I’ll pass for the freedom of the motorcycle and the aromatic environment of my own inner helmet. When I ride a bicycle I head for roads less traveled.

Our ride didn’t end there. We had another 2-3 hours of solid riding along lower mountain edge flowing, curvy roads. The lush landscape was a departure from the rocky faces and hard stone and brick construction we had been encountering. Then finally around a lake before we completed 2 loops and returned through an amazing tunnel/dam which included a $15 toll(!) Totally worth it. The beers went down quickly with dinner and bed came earlier than on night one. We earned our rest and have many more days of this to go. WooHoo!

DAY 4
All I wanted to do was return to Stelvio. The ride to and from was worth repeating and I wanted to hit it hard and buy a t-shirt. Alas, todays roads were described to me as ‘must-see’ and I tend to believe the locals. We headed for Switzerland and the advice was right. Getting out of town was easy, the weather was brisk but much warmer than the days before. It wasn’t long before we were waved across the border with zero drama and another mountain pass after another mountain pass ahead. First would be Livigno Pass. Just when we were getting our rhythm we came upon a herd of cows trailed by a team of poop sweepers and a police car to make sure no-one tried to push through the b*******!(!)!. It was a great chance to get pics of all the bikes together before we split into our groups and pics I got. All day I was stopping for pics and riding like angry wind to catch up. Fun stuff. I can’t ride by a castle or some ancient cobblestone bridge without taking a pic. Stopping only made the scenery even better and I’ll continue ‘riding my own ride’ as they say. I probably took 75-100 pictures today while riding - not recommended - but a few of us do like to keep a camera easy to reach with the left hand;)

When the cows took their exit we took our que to get it on. Helmet sped past the group and looked like he was going to hit it hard. I couldn’t resist the urge to follow him and the sound of his pipe. We took a ride to St.Moritz before we turned around to meet the group at Bernina Pass. We rode so fast and hard the Swiss police might be looking for us but they’ll never catch us;) In St.Moritz I noticed a few Leer jets circling to land at an airport with so many Mercedes limos lined up. What a contrast from the poop sweepers; I always notice the irony wether I like it or not. We found the group at a place so beautiful, Albula Pass, I was hooting and hollering and everyone there got it. Yeah, some people ‘get it’! What a scene, what a view, almost 8,000 meters up! We rode up it and I felt like I left the planet of earth. No kidding. Swiss Alps, I love you. We had coffee and some Swiss nut cake that was like a cross between Arabic Easter cookies and Tennessee Chess Pie. Simply amazing with coffee and not USA sweet. No, it was just right.

Bellies full and pictures taken we hit the road for Arosa Pass and the gorgeous villages along the way. The ancient charm in the construction and modern roads en route made for a great day. A few construction zones were just right to rest the bikes and our right hands. Bikers from all over were all over the place. Harley's weren’t a rare sight either. But more often than not the bikes were sporty, upright, naked types or dual sports. Sport tourers rounded out the majority of bikes and surprisingly few crotch rockets were on the roads. I suppose a little comfort goes a long way and most new bikes can run with a race bike without straining wrists and neck. My dual sport Bimmer GS800 is a dream here. Light, quick, efficient and has ABS which saves me a ton of drama on downhill switchbacks. If I’m coming in hot I just stand on the rear brake. If I’m still wide I just snatch first gear real quick and the bike will rotate a bit helping to get around the sharpest  of curves while staying in my lane and on my line. What a dream! I never would have guessed this bike would perform like this. If I were on a more powerful bike and riding this hard I would be needing gas twice a day instead of once, and I might have ridden off a cliff by now. An 800 twin cylinder is just right around here and in a group no less. This one is great and easy to ride with no hands or one hand. It’s a great bike for a shutter bug.

We leave Italy tomorrow for Switzerland, where a burger can cost over $20 - so I might get that girlish figure I always wanted by skipping a few meals. It’s okay, I’m kidding, and have some fat reserves for surviving expensive countries. I’ll close the lap top now and get some Italian groceries for the next few days. Do they have beef jerky here?

DAY 5

Today will be remembered as Hans-Peter day of this rally. We packed our things after a night of little sleep thanks to Livigno’s famous Saturday night parties. I partied until 11:30 but I knew it wouldn’t really get hopping until 1am. A few of us participated and went into Miky’sBar; I literally slid in. But, it was a young crowd and they weren’t riding hundreds of twisty kilometers today; so we left them to it. The ride was the warmest and we spent each stop shedding layers until everything was just right. Being a loaded travel day I did not expect to run as hard as we did and have such a gorgeous ride as well. Well, we did. Today was the best day yet! After a few passes we made it to Hans-Peter’s house in a village dating back to the 11th century. He and his wife prepared a spread for us and made us coffee. It was very nice being with friends and meeting even more club members. Restaurants and hotels are good but a home is so much better. I toured their property in awe of the original construction standing as strong as I’ve ever seen a house stand. What made it even better was seeing Raya’s trike and trailer set-up and then hearing that Hans-Peter would lead us to Oberalppass on his GTR-1400:):):)

That was a dream. Following a local, a fast local who knew the roads, was really nice. The whole group switched to ‘follow’ mode and just ignored our GPSs for a few hours. We were led to some beautiful scenery for taking pictures and stretching legs as well as some fine riding roads. I loved the way he rode and was too happy to ride in 2nd position with him. I drug my pegs and boots more than a few times today. Not complaining! Oberalppass was gorgeous and full of bikers and a handful of exotic cars. We stayed up there for a while, filled our bottles with source water from the river and just took in the sights and sounds. There is a lot going on up there. A lady in a trailer vending fine sausages and cheeses waved an American flag at me and hooked me up with some delectable beef and pork sausage for 5 Euros. No, I don’t much miss being a vegetarian:)

Continuing on to Furker Pass was truly epic. The pics from this pass rival Stelvio for sheer extremeness and the whole scene is out of this world. I loved this road and can’t wait to find out if we will ride it again. This trip is tuning my riding to a whole new level and personally I’m scared to ride a brisk pace in the States for fear of the cops waiting in the bushes. It’s just not like that here. Not one cop hiding anywhere outside of the villages. All it takes is decency and respect around here. If you slow down and ride slowly through the narrow and peaceful village roads you will be rewarded with freedom to lean, throttle up and ride your ride over the passes. I see exotic cars and bikes all the time in the USA but never hear their exhaust note like I do here. AMG Mercedes, M model Bimmers, Porsches of all years and of course Ferraris and Maseratis and Lambos and cars I don’t recognize and the list goes on. All running hard and just makes me want to quit typing and go riding again! The amount of motorcycles is also just stunning. Groups and groups everywhere looking for the perfect curve, the right line and a good old time. Riders are good here in Europe. I followed a group of Indian cruisers up a pass today and they weren’t slowing us down too bad at all. If I get behind heavy cruisers at home I can forget about leaning or enjoying myself until I get around them and can hear myself think again. Laws here don’t make those bikes quiet; just 100 times quietER. Now I know there are no slow bikes, just slow riders(!)

DAY 6
We were set to start today’s ride at 9am. Late for us and we needed it. Dinner and breakfast were excellent so we had the energy we needed to mount up and ride smart for another bunch of passes. First was Newfenun Pass, then St Goddard Pass followed by Susten Pass and Grimsel Pass. While the groups took breaks and went on side trips this morning I broke off for another crack at Furka Pass before lunch. I was afraid I’d be super late to lunch and just hoped nobody would mind. I keep snacks in the trunk anyway - never ride without a certain amount of tools and snacks. s*** happens and some peanuts will get you through anything; especially if the alternative is getting hungry; or h-angry. As luck would have it I had an easy and fast ride up and back down Furka while most of the other riders were sitting in traffic somewhere. When I returned to the point that I left the route I managed to somehow merge into traffic with 2 of the 3 groups! Better to be lucky than good I guess. The ride up to lunch was brilliant and they had an area roped off for our bikes waiting for us. Thanks for setting  that up Mika!

All of the passes were amazing and each different in its own way. Newfenun has a gorgeous view and bikers, cyclists, hikers with llamas and automotive enthusiasts with exotic cars all fit right in at the top.  The roads built out of the mountain sides on Susten Pass were just outstanding. Tunnels kept the roads dry and added to the scenery quite well without taking anything away. I had a bit of vertigo at the top of Grimsel and it took about 20 minutes to wear off. I shouldn’t have gone up the extra scenic road but I will never regret it now. The lake held back by the dam we climbed up to was a spec in the distance from the top of Grimsel. The view, narrow road and extreme drop just got me spinning and the whole world tilted. We returned to Oberwald before 4pm and I just had to go hit Newfenun again. Totally worth it. Chasing a waterfall the entire pass is just awe inspiring. The scenery isn’t static when there’s always rushing water around somewhere. An old man on a 1966 R60 BMW invited me to go hit St.Goddard Pass with him. He thought I was here alone and that was super cool of him. Richard must have decided he likes riding as much as I do and pulled up a few minutes after he got gas and caught up to me. Why wouldn’t he?! The roads in the Alps are beautiful and we can ride them as much as we want to!

Tomorrow we head back to Italy, through Turin and into Susa. WooHoo! It should be a long ride fully loaded but at least I did my laundry. A dry bag full of soapy water makes for a fantastic washing machine. Shake, shake, shake - rinse and repeat:) No dirty clothes in my luggage tomorrow(!) We have a bright sun drying the clothes now. Travel light and travel often my friends:) I’m off to dinner and a glass or three of wine, a bottle of source water from a fountain down the road and maybe one of Marc’s fancy cigarettes before bed. Ciao for now.

DAY 7
We had a long travel day today that would take us from Oberwald, Switzerland through France and back to Italy. Being over 500 km to Susa we left early after a great breakfast and some smart packing. With only one night in Susa there would be no need to unpack our bikes entirely, that can wait until tomorrow night in Castellane, France. We left Oberwald on a direct route, avoiding the highways of course, but also skipping one or two passes. This would make for an eight hour ride and that’s plenty of time on a bike. After 2 hours riding through Swiss orchard country and its’ acres of grapes and apricots the smell of fresh cut grass and the whir of farm equipment dominated our senses. The weather was warming up significantly compared to our first days of the rally. In the steep mountains of northern Italy the farmers were organizing their hay with really long rakes wearing jackets and winter caps. We were nearly poked off our bikes a time or two. Now it’s all flat enough to do with farm equipment and hot enough to do shirtless. Any steep hillsides were terraced and irrigated very neatly. The Swiss seem to be as organized and obsessive as any culture I have seen. If I wasn’t with a group I’m sure I would have stopped to pick some fresh fruit along the way. But, I had some apricots, apples and nuts on the bike already anyway:)

After finally making a turn toward some elevation and curvy roads we stopped for coffee and prepared ourselves to hit some great roads all the way to Susa. Great roads they were! We passed so many motorcycle hotels and restaurants with motorcycles on display in all sorts of interesting ways. My bike is currently under this Hotel Napoleon in a sweet, man-cave type living room for bikes. Hard wood floors and simplistic wooden furniture make this space truly unique. There’s even a place to wash bikes down there and free laundry for riding gear! Really! Signs say to ask the front desk for wash, wax and rags if you want to detail your bike while your gear is getting washed. Too cool. The roads up and down the passes in Switzerland were lush and gorgeous; no surprise. Cresting the first pass into France revealed one ski town after another and one chalet after another. Slate rooftops made a beautiful pattern and it repeated all along the ride. Some places have skiing year round; if just from 8am till noon before the snow gets soupy. Hundreds of skiers-in-training on wheeled skis propelled themselves up and down the mountain sides with ski-poles that we need horsepower to traverse. Looks hard, and they all looked fit. That type of exercise would kill a normal person. Between the cyclists, motorists, bikers and hikers this is mecca for being outdoors with scenery like something from the moon; if the moon was the coolest place ever.

Snow, dams, lakes, waterfalls, tunnels, arches, statues, and hotels that might be hundreds of years old come together to create magical scenery. We are certainly lucky to be able to ride here. Border crossings have been no problem, and I don't think even one of us has been asked for documents yet. They just wave us past. High temps were in the 50s on day one, 60s on day two, 70s on day three and today was warm in the 80s even half way up the passes. At the top the air was fresh and the breeze steady; but the sun seemed to be right there in your face as well. Without much time for stopping I was snapping pics every 30 seconds while riding. The scenery was just demanding I take these memories home digitally to keep and share forever. Lunch at Croix Blanche in Aosta was excellent. We had a long table reserved for us, shaded parking and our own servers. Very nice. Dinner at Hotel Susa served us well, with plenty to drink and I even earned myself an award for enthusiasm - probably because I was dancing on my bike and at all the breaks today. Hey, the combination of adrenaline and thin, high-altitude air makes me a happy boy while riding. Some Bob Marley, Gypsy Kings and Beethoven in the headphones helps too:)

After a million switchbacks and passing a thousand cars we had traversed Grand St.Bernard, Col D’Iseran and Col du Mont Cenis. Each absoulety amazing to behold and even better to survive riding! Road rage is non existent here and cars wave us past instead of block us as they would do stateside. Seems they were taught to share and get along with one another here. I will have to come back again and again for as long as motorcycles are encouraged and welcome on the passes. I’m bonded well with my rental bike and man does it handle well. I’ll miss the light little Bimmer and her eager two cylinders. Well, until I ride my Red Betty at home again. Then I’ll be glad to have my power and comfort back. But, no regrets and the GS800 is a great BMW.

We don't have as many miles to cover tomorrow but there will be 6.5 hours of twisties. I had better get some rest. Ill upload todays pictures tomorrow. Ciao!

Awesome write up.  Glad someone could put into words what I've been thinking for years.  What started for me in 2005 as an every other year trip to the Alps.  I would recommend that a trip to the Alps goes in everyone's bucket list at least once or twice.

Thanks Fais!

Albula Pass at 8000 meters? Wow! You were really high, Fais, that's like 26,000 feet! I think you're suffering from altitude sickness, better take a break from the passes for a few days.  :D

Did you blow though St. Moritz on the main road down by the lake, or did you take time to ride up the hill to the old town? The old town is beautiful and an amazing mix of old world charm and Rodeo Drive glitz and glamour. Very surreal.

And you met Duckman! Ask Marc how he got that nickname.  ;D

Who's the young couple on the small Yamaha? Fellow travelers?

Keep the reports and pics coming - they're almost as good as being there. Well... not really.  ;)

ChrisD - I was looking forward to meeting you here - maybe next time.  Many thanks for the kind words. Believe it or not I am embarrassed to share my writing but with COG I have no inhibitions :beerchug:

Diz! - I am living a dream right now. But, with a few weddings to attend this year and some commitments that don;t make much money before year end means I'l be waking up for sure. I hope it's not too rude an awakening. I have certainly invited Murphy into my life and I'm a little nervous. Luckily, I'll never regret this. Especially due to the people on this rally and the weather. Both have made things easy and really just awesome.

SmithR1 - one or two more reports coming - thank you for reading :)

Jim - I caught that 8,000 meters instead of feet too late :-[ Funny stuff. Almost to the moon! The youngsters on the 125 came from Belgium to wherever that pic was taken on 11 liters of gas and at least twice as much beer. They are living the dream :great: :great: I exchanged info with them and gave them the website I use to find work - I never share my secrets - but they were really really doing it! Marc left early because his father in law had a heart attack. I'll get the duck story another time. He was a great friend from the get go and I'll ride with him again. What a nice, generous and talented rider of a guy.

Today was epic. Anyone know Rusty and Attilla from Cali? And Rob from Vancouver? FAST! WOW - today could have been my last! Wow.

This is full scrape mode on the rental - probably better I didn't have a faster bike  :motonoises: :motonoises:

Instagram: Fais_the_photographer and I'll finish the DropBox uploads eventually. Nothing new there. There are many GoPro videos to edit as well. Eventually I'll try to edit up a compilation for Helen as well as this rally. But, those might be a few weeks in the making.

DAY 8

Our group has shrunk. Some left for family reasons, some had work, one rider hurt his foot and several guys took off to do an Alpine bicycle ride(how cool is that?!) today and will rejoin us tonight. Our slightly smaller bunch of bikes and riders had a few passes to run up and down as well as riding some ridges along a gorge or two to get to our next destination in Castellane, France. Wow, another unbelievable set of roads to be sure.

There are few guard rails in the mountains of France. Luckily the weather has been dry and sunny since day one; allowing those of who run hard to run hard with only a decent chance of running off a cliff.  As we head south it is getting hotter and hotter. Sunscreen and water all day long. The long johns were necessary and the rain gear was great for keeping out the cold air. Now, if I were in the States, I would just mail this stuff home. One sign indicated there would be 17 tunnels in a short time and they were just extremely cool. On a hot day where shade is hard to find the tunnels feel oh so good. They are not, however, a safe place to stop for a break. That would have been nice. The high mountain region of France’s Alps was just another sight to see. Wild flowers line the roads and old buildings hanging from and towering over cliffs so high in the sky it’s impossible to imagine building them today, much less so long ago. Ancient roofs have given way on some yet the walls remain as strong as any modern building. Some have old ceramic or stone roofs covered in solar panels. Not something you get used to seeing right away - but it does make sense. Ted stuck another ‘Don’t Mess With Texas’ sticker on yet another sign at the the highest paved point in the Alps. They say you can’t get any higher in a motorized vehicle legally. Sounds like a challenge to me:)

I started out as the leader of what was once know as the scenic group but nobody was into running with me. Or, they were trying to lose me from behind;) Our coffee breaks were fun and in beautiful biker-heaven cafes atop mountains. But they weren’t restful; just hot. For months I’ve wondered if the 800 would have the power to get me over the mountains. ABS and light weight is what’s getting me over the mountains. This is an excellent performer and with a 21” front wheel no less! Plus, Ted is doing his best on a BMW LT (light truck lol). The rhythm I was riding overtook me and I swear it was mellow, but the middle of each curve, thousands of them, was nirvana. I could not control myself and rode on ahead. Many stops later I realized I had arrived to the gas stop near the hotel! How did that happen? I was sure one group was ahead of me and I would catch them or find them here. Nope. Either way, it was a great riding day and I’m happy as a college kid at an open bar to be out of my gear and sipping on some minty lemonade. My riding clothes are washed for tomorrow and I’ll just wait on the group to help unload the bikes and get situated. Then, we can eat and drink and do it all again tomorrow. #grateful :)

DAY 9

After a night of live music on the square and beers by a fountain in the ‘portal’ we finally were ready to get some sleep and dream about today’s ride. Having a good (think: MacGuyver) fix on my iPhone/12V/Powerlet charger situation and paid for an upgrade to my GPS App I have been no longer stuck following. I could break off for a picture or some water in the shade and rejoin the group without any drama. My group suggested a few west coasters from CA and Vancouver should let me lead them today and they agreed. We left the hotel first and as I cruised up the first winding road I ket noticing bikes in my mirrors. Slowly but surely I crept up to my favorite way to ride; it’s called ‘The Pace’. Long story short you ride The Pace by using minimal throttle and brake inputs and time the apexes for maximum smoothness. It’s how I always want to ride and here my rental bike kept that momentum a little faster than the big touring bikes could. Rusty and Attilla rented FZ-09s and Rob is on an FJR 1300. I was sure we would be close in our speeds.

S-turns replaced switchbacks today and we were having too much fun out there. I added speed slowly all day and they were always right there in the mirrors. If I pulled off for a pic, they were taking pics from the side of the road right behind me. U-turn? Right behind me. Okay - a good match. Well, until I let Rob take the lead. Now I had to tighten my cap and pay good attention bc this boy doesn’t mess around. We pulled up to lunch and I very nearly cried bc my body was searching for a reaction to just how awesome our ride was. We ate, we hung around, and I went into the lake with my boots and pants on. Motoport gear is lake proof:) Plus, when I’m cooled off  and happy everything is just better. We mounted up to ride on and got ourselves into some roads that just were surrounded by lavender fields. Tourists that weren’t enjoying the lake were taking pictures in the blooms. Focusing on staying alive and returning the bikes in one piece we forgot to pay close attention to the GPS so we let Rusty take the lead to get us home. His GPS seemed to have some good ideas except that mine kept saying ‘recalcualting’ - but we weren’t lost. Rusty just rides too darn fast for even the latest satellite technology! He must have been up all night riding the route and memorizing the roads. I’m talking wow fast. I may never ride a bike at the limit like that again. Even if I stay in my lane on a narrow road there will be a bus or two and many campers coming the other way. Oh well, we are home safe and have huge smiles on.

Off to Menton tomorrow on the beach in the South of France. We haven't seen any beaches yet so it will be yet another set of new landscapes to behold. I don’t think I’ll get in the salt water with my gear on - but everything is possible. One travel day and one riding day left. WooHoo! Well, then I have to get the bike to Milan and find lodging for 2 nights myself. This must end I guess. But, riding ten hours a day with friends, eating, drinking, talking and taking pics has been a dream I don’t ever want to wake up from . . . . .

I was going to recommend the Milan President Hotel downtown but it looks like they were taken over by a corporation and have remodeled in a modern-sterile style. When I was there it was still old world charm, lots of dark wood and comfy chairs. And raised their rates  :eek:

http://www.nh-hotels.com/hotel/nh-collection-milano-president?campid=8436102&ct=287498657&dclid=COW309iyhc4CFYJ4Ygodad0MQg

But it's in a great location, not far from the Galleria Vittorio and the Duomo. I recommend looking in that area, maybe the Hotel Galileo  http://www.galileohotelmilan.com/

Whatever, be sure to take some time to go up on the roof of the Duomo, it's amazing.

Did you grind the center stand off to scrape the pegs? I'll bet that 85 HP moved you pretty quickly in the "S" turns. Your head must have been snapping from left to right to left to..... Great report and pics!

Most excellent write ups Fais.

I am going to vicariously live/ride through your reports because my bike has been sitting in the garage most of the summer. I tore my house completely apart to remodel it. I live in a constant construction zone.  :mad:
Keep the pictures coming....  :beerchug:

Just Cliff said:
Great write ups Fais. You are defiantly living the dream, congratulations  :)!

Cliff  :beerchug:

I only begged you to be my roommate ! It has been nice - would have been better with you buddy  :motonoises:

Diz said:
Did you grind the center stand off to scrape the pegs? I'll bet that 85 HP moved you pretty quickly in the "S" turns. Your head must have been snapping from left to right to left to..... Great report and pics!

Neck muscles are in the best shape of my life-) it never gets old. HP seems only useful going up or blasting the straights - if the bike was only 50hp I bet it would be nearly as good. Well, until I get behind the west coasters and try to keep up lol

I'm not sure what's scraping actually. It must be the center stand .... All I know is there's a limit and I want more lean! Miss my Betty.

:beerchug:

Gumby said:
Most excellent write ups Fais.

I am going to vicariously live/ride through your reports because my bike has been sitting in the garage most of the summer. I tore my house completely apart to remodel it. I live in a constant construction zone.  :mad:
Keep the pictures coming....  :beerchug:

Tom - the last things I did before getting a Connie and joining COG was spend over 5 years and every penny/minute remodeling 3 houses one after other between working a LOT. Took years off my life. There will be no 4th! I definitely feel your pain and hope it all pays off ASAP so you can bet back to the important things in life = like riding  :motonoises:

DAY 10

You will never believe this. Today’s roads were once again just brilliant! We had to ride loaded from Castellane, FR (awesome little town) to Menton, FR. Constant lean all day long. Coming over the last two passes felt like riding atop a stone wall. The views, bridges and buildings were each excellent in their own ways. The weather keeps getting hotter and today was the hottest but not nearly as hot as Tennessee is right now. The mountain tops were even warm but I did finally get on the shady side of the last pass and it slowed me down quite a bit. I was in no hurry to get back into the sun and enjoyed a steady pace for at least 200 curves and 25 switchbacks.

I had left the group because the roads were so narrow and the group so big there was no way to enjoy the same speeds. 2-up bikes which were already 200lbs or more heavier than mine before adding a second person and their luggage had to ride a different ride. Some of these rigs are over 1,000lbs and I am under 600lbs. These things add up when you are constantly going up or down and in a turn 99.9% of the time. Passing cars and trucks is also easier when you don't have precious cargo sharing the saddle with you. A rude awakening came when a dozen bikes passed me in rapid succession. They came out of nowhere and I very nearly jumped out of my gear until I realized what was happening. I had been at peace for a while and they were a loud surprise. There is video proof and the best part is that one of them was a Harley. The rider of the chrome HOG had that Harley look on his face and I say he deserved it. Geez! He was working really hard. People on this side of the pond really work out their equipment. I’ve only heard a Harley at full revs in burnout pits before !(!)! lol.

Entering one little town I took the wrong road, and it turned out to not even be a road. My first clue was going down a step. Then another. And another. I went down 5 steps about 5 feet long each before landing on someone’s patio and bumped into their patio furniture. That made a sound the quiet village heard. Old ladies were in their windows and the home owner came out and started moving his tables and chairs so I could turn around. Everyone was completely expressionless. I was shook up and afraid I’d be there for a long time and possibly even be in trouble. Sweating is an understatement. Didn’t think to take of my jacket or helmet and I could have taken a tumble so maybe better I kept it all on. Someone called a few young guys who were watering plants in the village to come help me and the whole scene was earily quiet. I have never been so lucky not to crash. Nor have I ever looked so stupid. Pouring with sweat I detached the panniers, maneuvered the bike around and with some help I climbed first one step and then on up and out of there. Running down the stairs and running back up with my panniers was the straw that broke the sweat camel’s back. I wanted to stop at the cafe in that village but with egg on my face I left immediately.

I found a road-side stand and had a salad when I saw Attila and Rusty go by on a different route I was on. Okay - I’ll stick with my route since it’s locked in. A few hours and 500 turns later I ran into them at an intersection and followed them for the last 20 km to this hotel on the Mediterranean Sea. We are parked inside the garden and it seems to be pleasing to passers by to see the bikes. Lots of cameras take their pics:) We love having them nearby; even if a bunch of them are rentals. Yep, time to put the lap top up. The last of the groups are here!

DAY 11

There was talk of bussing in to Monaco and spending the day shopping around. There was talk of maybe going riding later in the day and only for a short ride. I wasn’t even up for the discussion. The rally’s last day and Mika’s hard work on the routes didn’t need to go to waste. I had to move one C-14 (GTR-1400) out of my way and I tore out at 8:30. I didn’t get far before stopping to work on my charger again. But, alas, one half of a broken toothpick jammed just right in the socket and with a push, twist, zip-tie and some velcro I was golden. Monaco was a mess of construction, road closures and other little delays but I managed to get through there without upsetting any billionaires. It seems Monaco is not a poor town to say the least. Very fancy architecture and cars and people everywhere. The rest of the ride would be pleasant in comparison.

If today had been day 1 I certainly would have crashed my bike. The tightest switchbacks of all were grouped up around the town of Sospel and points between here and there. Some right handers are so tight and steep there is just no rhythm that will let you stay in your lane at any speed above a crawl. Nor is there a human neck that can ‘Go Go Gadget’ around a bend to see if a car is coming. Today’s rhythm was to almost stop mid turn, lean hard and pull hard on the throttle just before stalling and pulling out hard in first = voila(!) Not so fun really - but super beautiful. It’s nice to control a willing machine.

Cyclists and rocks in the road kept alert levels high. We have only had one wreck and injury on this rally and it was because of MAMILs. The Dutch guys taught me that slang for Middle Aged Men In Lycra. Patrick was air lifted out of Passo Stelvio with a broken foot after having to bail to avoid smashing into cyclists. The worst part is that NOBODY stopped to help him. It was lucky that I was passing by shortly after and we ushered his wife up the road to call for help. I remembered him a lot today because after my fuel light came on, and stayed on, I was coasting down the passes in neutral. Not smart, the MAMILs can’t hear you coming and if you didn’t know they ride 4-5 wide on lanes that can hardly handle a full size car. I reverted back to riding normally so they would hear me coming and luckily didn’t run out of gas. If there were gas stations around me I sure didn’t see them.

Other mishaps this rally were of the mechanical nature and all bikes are running as good or better than on day one by now. A C10 (GTR-1000) needed its’ spark plug wires trimmed and something broke on its’ brakes. Fixed. A GTR-1400 needed front wheel bearings in a bad way. Fixed. A ’93 Bimmer lost its’ fuel pump. Fixed. And a GTR-1400 lost power, and upon removing the battery it was said you could have friend and burned an egg on it. Fixed. To be honest there were many drops. I’m one of the lucky ones. It is often not flat and there is often no room for us all but we have been most lucky in that nothing more than some rally stripes have been earned on the plastics. Sometimes you think a road is flat until you put your side stand down and then if you’re careful you might maneuver the bike before leaving it. One bike was parked and it took only the slightest bump to knock it over. Steve Cook’s C-14 was backed into by an insurance agent of all things; that’s a funny story:) I think that sums up out mishaps.

So, the rally is over, We had a nice farewell dinner tonight and ride our separate ways tomorrow. Rob and I are headed to Austria to ride a famously beautiful road and then he heads north and I head south. Rusty and Attilla will likely go too. I’ll add the Austria pics to the DropBox and update the blog/report one last time from my recliner in TN. Ciao until then. Thanks for reading!

Faisal Petro
COG Southeast AAD 
COG Marketing Director
faisalpetro@yahoo.com

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 91
Fais said:
Entering one little town I took the wrong road, and it turned out to not even be a road. My first clue was going down a step. Then another. And another. I went down 5 steps about 5 feet long each before landing on someone’s patio and bumped into their patio furniture. That made a sound the quiet village heard. Old ladies were in their windows and the home owner came out and started moving his tables and chairs so I could turn around. Everyone was completely expressionless.

:D :D :D :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Now I don't feel so bad about leading Nebraska Jerry down a hill on some guys driveway into his garage where I pulled a quick U-turn leaving Jerry wondering WTF was going on.  :rotflmao:

This is what traveling is all about. Memories like this you will never forget. And you still have a couple days to go.  :))

JPavlis_CA said:
Fais said:
Entering one little town I took the wrong road, and it turned out to not even be a road. My first clue was going down a step. Then another. And another. I went down 5 steps about 5 feet long each before landing on someone’s patio and bumped into their patio furniture. That made a sound the quiet village heard. Old ladies were in their windows and the home owner came out and started moving his tables and chairs so I could turn around. Everyone was completely expressionless.

:D :D :D :rotflmao: :rotflmao:  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  Now I don't feel so bad about leading Nebraska Jerry down a hill on some guys driveway into his garage where I pulled a quick U-turn leaving Jerry wondering WTF was going on.  :rotflmao:

This is what traveling is all about. Memories like this you will never forget. And you still have a couple days to go.  :))

Thank you Fais Maybe it happens all the time to those good people, they've learned you just help the traveler on their way. But if you do that in the U.S.; you might be met with a long barrel

Fais said:
Just Cliff said:
Great write ups Fais. You are defiantly living the dream, congratulations  :)!

I only begged you to be my roommate ! It has been nice - would have been better with you buddy  :motonoises:

I know & I would have loved to. It just wasn't in the cards for me.

I try not drool to much when I'm looking at the pictures!

Fais, thank you for taking time to share with all your poor, domestically bound friends. Maybe someday, but I can see right NOW that I'd need some extra training.

"Awesome" doesn't say enough.

:beerchug: guys - thank you for the kind words. Last day of passes today in Austria and I will return the bike tomorrow. I've never felt so grateful.  :beerchug:

DAY 12

Today was ‘tax’ing to say the least. Rob, Rusty, Attila and I were heading from the warm beaches of the very South of France, near Monaco, through Italy and into the Austrian Alps. I only had to extend my rental bike for one day but could still make my flight so why not. We were, after all, on a roll. The Italian Alps, Swiss Alps and French Alps wowed us. We figured the Austrian Alps couldn’t be too shabby either. Over 6 hours, $60 in gas and $60 in tolls later we were having lunch in Trento at a place with a sign we see a lot in Europe. The sign says ‘Bikers Always Welcome’:)

Tourists on European bikes and Italians on Harleys filled the parking lot of Serafini. I parked under the shade of a million grapes and their leafy vines before laying down on my jacket for a few minutes of ahhhhhh with my boots off. All was well, but after 6 or 7 hours the ride was only half done. I was already 7/8ths done. I would have lasted 18 hours cruising at 65ish but we were moving along a bit faster. It could have been a clue to slow down and catch up later when my camera took flight and left me for good after achieving highway speeds. Wow, this is not an interstate bike, and these are not interstate tires; or whatever the case - at least the camera didn’t have to suffer along the whole day. Canon makes smart, if suicidal, equipment:-/ It was located exactly as it had been the entire trip. Oh well.

Wine country in Italy goes for hundreds of miles along the route we rode. The Dolomites loomed over the horizon in every direction and thanks to a few tunnels we rode right through them. We can’t say we rode the Dolomites but we were already on a long enough mission. What we can say is we’ve ridden the Alps. Maybe not all the passes, or most, or even close to the top 100 passes. But, we have done well and the Dolomites aren't going anywhere should we decide to return.

Keeping pace with my buddies on the Autostrada nearly wore my rear right off my body. The Bimmer that had been impressive all tour was a rattler at highway speeds. By the time we got to the good stuff I was tingling in my hands, sore in my neck, my shoulders were locked tight and my back wouldn’t even talk to me. Oh well, life really is good and some days are harder than others. Whatever a good saddle costs; it’s worth it. I am happy to say it was my first time on the Autostrada so I didn’t know the bike would not like the triple digit speeds (in KM). Maybe it was that going from Menton, France to Burnbaum, Austria in the first place was asking for it. 7 hours of interstate on an enduro and another 7 hours of wondering if we were going the right way on secondary roads in Austrian and Italian farm country really took a toll on my body. It took ‘manning up’ and then some to get to our hotel. At 9pm I threw a fit until I relieved myself and added a layer. Darkness, cold, wet roads - we just missed the animals; thank God. We left just after 8 am and arrived to our hotel at 10 pm. With hardly any strength or energy left I was super lucky to score a steak and two salads. Really, two. Only one glass of wine would be sufficient to send me off to sleep.

DAY 13

Waking up on a tiny mattress on the floor will never feel so good again. Our double room had double mattresses - but they shared one frame. At least we had shelter and in one of the world’s most gorgeous regions. We had kept the door to the balcony open overnight and the sound of rain should have let me sleep longer - but Rob is such a quiet roommate it woke me up. We got up early and were at breakfast at 7am sharp. Just in time to learn that breakfast is at 8:) Soon we were joined by the others and I got a sweet lecture about what a pleasant and likable jerk I am. See, here I am talking about myself again. Anyway, when people love me they like to break me down fast then build me up slow. Love you too guys. We had drip coffee for the first time since we left the last airplanes we came in on. We were a bit happy for that too. Espresso on this rainy morning would not be necessary. The rain pounded now and we abandoned our plan to ride the GroBGlockner. Surely it was snowing up there and the pass would be closed. Oh well. Sometimes it’s time to know when to say when. It’s not going anywhere - and neither are the bike rental places or the airlines. Maybe some other day . . .

Rusty and Attilla headed for Landshut to return their bikes and return to their lives. Rob and I rode up to Leinz and started back tracking towards a good place to split off in our own directions. We had one final coffee to escape some more rain at the unfriendliest cafe/gas station in the world and soon we were going different directions on the same roundabout. We are fine in the rain but traffic was mounting and the rain wasn’t flowing over our heads like it would at speed. The GoPros are full, the laptop is full. I can only commit the scenery to memory and tell you to make a point of seeing it for yourself one day. A castle on a pillar in the sky is quite something.

Rob was the lucky one. Traffic was insane and for the first time this trip. The roads move really well here because the drivers are excellent and there are no traffic lights on the main roads. I figured there must have been an accident. I rode up the center for MANY miles and passed hundreds of cars before I saw a mass of many colors. It was MAMILs. Remember? Middle Aged Men In Lycra. Dangit I’m gonna talk to God about this in Heaven one day. What would George Carlin say right now? These people are ridiculous. Hundreds of ridiculous idiots in dozens of groups, just taking up the whole road. Not a good day to get sick Grandma, the cyclists are blocking the way to the hospital. Geez, really for about 75 miles I was forced to risk it all and pass traffic jam after traffic jam, mix it up with the cyclists, get past them and do it all over again with the next grouping. These people are insufferable in their elf shoes and fake sponsor shirts. Rob and I had been looking at the map a lot - its was simply full of roads. If I weren’t on a bike I don’t know what I would have done. Cars didn’t have a chance. These cyclists are a different species. I just hope grandma is okay.

After having enough of the rain I stopped at the first hotel on the Italian side of the Dolomite tunnels. No regrets. Surrounded by beautiful apple orchards and perfect structures I spotted a hotel with the famous ‘Biker Welcome’ sign. The owner made me dinner, took me for a walk of this old village and it’s adorable fountains, cobblestone streets, arches, cleanliness and peacefulness. We drove in a car 5 km away to an amazing piece of old world Italy called Neumarkt’, (Bolzano) where her brother and son run a cafe. It was very nice to see this place slightly off the beaten path. When I had stopped earlier to buy a peach at a fruit stand and cool my jets a bus full of Russian tourists stopped to buy fruit and I think each one of them pushed and shoved me to get their cameras pointed at the cherries and the startled attendant. I wanted to just be alone after all the annoyances of the day; but this hotel owner was very nice and I think she was promoting herself as a stop on the next tour. I’m back to loving people again very quickly!

Being alone for the first time since July 12th gave me some time to reflect on the rally. I put faces to names I’ve read a hundred times while anticipating this event. Hard to believe I have room in my 11 remaining brain cells to remember more names, and the names of people’s kids and their businesses and the colors and years of their bikes at home. I spent each night with different folks, buying each other beers or coffees, and learning about their differing lives. The Europeans were more likely to meet my curiosity as I constantly am looking for the right place for to live and ride. Germany (autobahn) is looking good. Anywhere on the Alps will do. Many pics were passed over to show me things and people from their hometowns. Marc became a good friend immediately - and that might be because he works with juvenile delinquents. Yeah, I’m not much different then his students am I? Bernd works in an interesting field and with his wife Annetta. They once had a large beer garden and I can completely picture that. Mika and I are now following each other on Instagram, and Daan and Marc are there as well. There’s a chance I’ll work for Stephane someday - and I certainly hope to visit him and Lizette in Amsterdam - not too far from Gie. Gie has endless energy! Good man:) If you ever need a cab in Iceland I know a guy - Throstur, and he’s quick on a C14. I already miss Richard. He’s the type of guy that never says anything negative. I rode with him most of the rally and he followed me down Newfenun Pass like were being timed. He is a real sweetheart of a guy. I’ll ride with Rob again in August on the west coast. This guy. You can set your clock to this Canadian and the clock won’t be as reliable. If I’m lucky I’ll meet Steve Cook and his highly motivated son in CA sometime. Would be great to see Attila and Rusty at the Rock Store out there as well. But I AIN’T GONNA try to keep up with Rusty in any of Cali’s Canyons. Not unless I buy speeding- ticket insurance and Obamacare approved riding gear:) I will certainly ride with the other Steve in Houston sometime (no more riding through narrow, crowded markets though) and Ted will see my mug there unless I see his first, lol. Chris is a true COGger, and I hope to ride motorcycles and bicycles with him in the future. We didn’t hang much, I was really more into meeting the Europeans, checking out their COG stickered bikes and OTP stories. Marc has more than a few; but still haven’t heard the duck story. Three bikes had to leave early; Daan, Marc and Stephane - and Ted kindly arranged that I ride with Rusty, Attila and Rob the rest of the trip. Fast likes fast so we stuck together; although I was trying to mix it up more with the Euro Bikers. Axel, you are a true gentleman, even if I saw you in Speedos. I forgive you! Ulie and Angie always had a positive word and rosy smile. They look dang good on a GoldWing too. Helmut, nice riding with you. Let’s do it again sometime; just as fast! Harry and Coty are the cutest couple and it was very nice meeting you both. They keep a bike in the U.S. so who knows where I’ll see them again. Walter rents bikes in Germany, Versys 1000 to be exact. Andre wasn’t feeling his best all rally but maybe we will see some great shots from his camera. Patrick, I hope your foot heals better than new. Keep us posted. If you’re gonna go down - go down on a famous pass, and get air-lifted out! To your health my friend sorry you had to go so soon. Ingemar, may your travels to Sweden be safe and I hope you ride well into your 100s. I believe you will. 

Hans and Mika, thank you so much. I know Hans is the President and Mika did all the work, right? Really was a terrific trip. The routes were incredible. This was not easy and I appreciate that. Every penny and minute I spent in preparation and anticipation was totally worth it. Totally worth it. Those three words came up a lot. I am tired, sore, and soon will be busy with normal life. I’ll miss the whole group. Cheers until next time. Totally worth it:) Prost!

Ewa just read the blog and had the best comment about me going down the steps into the patio.

She asked if I thought there was another 'backyard rally'  :rotflmao:

Fais. Those are phenomenal photos -- accompanied by a great write-up!! I can't believe I was on the same trip since it appears you not only managed to see twice as much as I did but captured 10 times as much in photos. I suppose that's what happens when you ride twice as fast as the other riders. Great trip! These photos and write-up not only bring back memories but fill me in on some of the things I missed. Should have ridden in your group.

P.S. Anybody that has not had the pleasure of meeting Fais, let me tell you he has the energy of a hornet's nest and seems to never stop getting things done -- not to mention being a funny and interesting guy.

Fais, damn good write up. I've reached out to Patrick but have not heard back from him, maybe next week he will be back on line and either him or I can provide an update to how he's doing.

Thanks again for putting it to words, love it.

Attila said:
Fais. Those are phenomenal photos -- accompanied by a great write-up!! I can't believe I was on the same trip since it appears you not only managed to see twice as much as I did but captured 10 times as much in photos. I suppose that's what happens when you ride twice as fast as the other riders. Great trip! These photos and write-up not only bring back memories but fill me in on some of the things I missed. Should have ridden in your group.

P.S. Anybody that has not had the pleasure of meeting Fais, let me tell you he has the energy of a hornet's nest and seems to never stop getting things done -- not to mention being a funny and interesting guy.

+1

Awesome write-up Fais!  Pics are breathtaking!

Thank you very much gentlemen :beerchug:

Shawn - you would have loved every second. It looked just like the pics  :great: lol

Reunion tour next year? I can dream .....

Attila said:

Shawn said:
Attila said:

+1

Awesome write-up Fais!  Pics are breathtaking!
  +2!!  It was pleasure riding and hanging out with you! Great pictures! I will keep in touch! Anytime you are coming out to California I will have a single bed for you to sleep on so the memories continue!!    :motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug:

Patrick came up on line yesterday, 

He is in good spirits and had surgery last Monday and received 5 pins to hold his toes and foot together.

ChrisD said:
Patrick came up on line yesterday, 

He is in good spirits and had surgery last Monday and received 5 pins to hold his toes and foot together.
That's good news Chris! Thank you for checking in with him.

"+2!!  It was pleasure riding and hanging out with you! Great pictures! I will keep in touch! Anytime you are coming out to California I will have a single bed for you to sleep on so the memories continue!!    :motonoises:  :motonoises:  :beerchug:"

Good one Russ! For those that did not make it to Europe they seem to like SMALL beds. Ol' Russ had to sleep with his big tootsies hanging off the end of the bed for more than two weeks.  :D

@fais :

very great description of a very wonderful travel...
it sounds, like you was in bikers heaven...
Now you have a small taste of my riding area.
Stelvio is only 175 Kilometers from my home,
Furka, Grimsel, Susten, are 230km away, San Bernardino, Albula, Fluela are closer than 120 km to my home...

if you come to the Alps again, we should ride together, we can ride much more such roads, with much more nice locations, also historic places and buildings,
many more small and hidden roads - roads that tourists does'nt find..

i'm so sorry, that i can't be at the Rallye because my health issues, but i have meet a bunch of participants on their travel to livigno.

I meet them on a short coffee stop in Bregenz/Austria at the lake constance.

The Guys  are: Mika, Bernd, Helmut, Hans-Ove, Ted Adcock, Andrè, Walter, Katja, Axel and many more nice Guys.

greetings from Austria, Ralf