• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gerbing and heated jackets

tshelver

Training Wheels
So I was riding back from the NE fall rally via north-central Maine, northern NH and northern VT, and the temps dropped to around freezing, Nothing unusual around here, but cold enough with the minimal other gear I had on to let me run the jacket and gloves at close to full output. I've come to the conclusion that the Gerbings I have is just not well designed. I think it is designed to fit under the usual cruiser / bomber-style waistlength jacket for people in an upright riding position, and not on a sport-bike when using a 3/4 length touring jacket. There is a substantial section of lower back that is not covered by heating elements, and the forward leaning position exposes another archaic design element, the so-called heating pads, which are really individual wire elements that create hot spots on your back. And yet another grip is the material: the coated nylon really does not breath well, so if you are in 'active' riding mode (as on a sled or pushing hard in the twisties) for a while, it traps a lot of moisture underneath. You really need to wear a fleece over the liner to conserve scarce electrons (and to provide lower body coverage). They could offer an option where the jacket has a fleece or microfiber outer layer instead of the el cheapo nylon. Why not offer an option that has a longer back and body in addition to different materials, and heck: it is 2008: surely there is another option for heating other than thick wire?

Thanks for this Tony, I'm seriously considering adding a heated vest and/or other gear to my repertoire this year. It's nice to know the foibles.

Thanks for the report. It was very helpful. I live in So. Calif., so my method might not work for those of you in snow country. Here, it rarely gets below freezing unless I go in the mountains. In the winter I wear a Joe Rocket leather jacket with a liner, long sleeve t-shirt and/or sweatshirt, and a down vest that has a long tail. No electrics. Doesn't feel bulky or stiff (probably thanks to the down) and I manage to stay toasty warm, even in the mountains. Sometimes I have to unzip a little because I get too warm, even on 40 degree days. I have, however, thought about an electric vest except that I do not like getting too warm (I guess a hermostat or rheostat would help). Now knowing about the short tail on the Gerbing, maybe I have not missed that much, but it is something to be mindful of.

well i used my gerbing jacket liner for the 1st time over the weekend at the same rally making what sounds like the same trip back to ct. and i got to say i was extremely toasty usually reaching for the heat troller to turn it down not up. I know my rides were much better with it then if i had no heater. maybe you have a bad liner or were just expecting much more out of it then me. as for me bring on the gerbings i am a believer.

Hi Tony; Why not drop them a line by email or phone. I am sure they would appreciate the feedback and perhaps even change the design of the jacket, to help satisfy future customers. I found them to be very helpful on the phone, and am waiting for them to relocate before I pay them a visit to see their shop and workshop. Just a thought from someone who used to be in the customer satisfaction/feedback business. :) Cheers CP Colin Prior Cogmos Committee Chairman Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

Anyone running the tourmaster synergy electrics? Just got a pair of gloves that I havn't used yet. I am thinking about a vest, but I guess I'd better take a closer look to check the coverage and flexibility before I buy. Thanks for the timely review. 1990 Aint she a pretty Tomato (the bike ofcourse) wedshots albums http://community.webshots.com/user/sawfiler64/albums/most-recent

Colin, I did drop them a line some time back asking when / if they would be updating the jacket, and making a few suggestions, but no reply. MTC: I hardly used my Gerbing during the weekend. I didn't use it during the ride in on Thursday (arrived at 8 pm), and although I had it on for Friday / Saturday's riding, I only switched on a little during the morning, and then at very low heat. Even though I was on a relatively open bike (ZX12R) compared to a Connie. The daytime temperatures during the rally really were not that cold. But Sunday night in the western Maine / northern NH mountains and northern VT was a different story. The temps were around 35 and lower most of the way after 5 pm. I've also got a lot of experience in colder temps than that, last year we rode the Green Mountains (VT) after Thanksgiving. Temps were anything from 14 to 27F (low-land high). I also used to (still do on occasion) commute from April through November, depending on road ice. Riding home 2.5 to 3 hours in the low 20s and upper teens tends to seek out the chinks in any cold weather gear. I'm not saying the Gerbing is a bad jacket, after all I've owned one for many years, and it works substantially better in most conditions than my previous Aerostich Unobtanium (now Kanetsu) vest. I also own both the Gerbing Classic and G3 gloves, and I have the pants, which I almost never use on a faired bike, as I find a quality fleece midlayer works well enough and is substantially more comfortable and less sweaty. But Gerbing has had the same basic jacket design and limited options for many years now. I'm guessing that the bulk of their market is upright cruiser and touring bikes with big windshields, so providing different jacket designs and options isn't much of an issue. What I have used in really cold weather is a Klim backcountry snowmobile / offroad bike midlayer microfleece jacket or jersey. They are really light and not at all bulky, but provides good warmth. Compared with the Gerbings, it is actually designed to be used in conjunction with a 3/4 length riding shell, and covers all the way down to my hips, no cold spots, and with good arm coverage even on a sport bike. Layering this light jacket over the Gerbing lets me dial back the thermostat substantially in really cold weather, and covers lower back areas that the Gerbing leaves exposed.

I've always had one complaint about my jacket and it's similar to yours in that the jacket rides up in the back. I've always wished for a longer version as well. I would LOVE to see a 3/4 length version!!! That would fit perfectly under my Killi jacket. Roger ('07 Wee Strom) COG 5903 Virginia Beach, VA

Re:
I did drop them a line some time back asking when / if they would be updating the jacket, and making a few suggestions, but no reply.
Very Sorry to hear that Tony, that's disappointing. I would be tempted to call them up on the phone, especially as others share your opinion... But that's just me. Could be they hear your views a lot and just don't reply now, but that's no excuse not to say thanks and yes we know. CP Colin Prior Cogmos Committee Chairman Lake Forest Park WA COG#7767
2606714340100596652OGFlOW_th.jpg

I've been using Gerbing's jacket for 4-5 years now. Tony mentioned one problem which I certainly have and that's when leaning even slightly forward, as you do on any ST machine, a pocket of air sometimes develops around my tummy, which pretty much stays unheated. don't know whether this is common to everyone or maybe just to me because of my build or what. But in real cold weather it becomes just a bit of a problem. The rest of my upper body and arms stay perfectly comfortable. I've never used all 77 watts when wearing my heated jacket. Even in the coldest weather. Bob "Flylooper" Burns COG #5887 E Clampus Vitus, YB#1 '04 FJR 1300
VisitedStatesMap.jpg

A little trick is to find a snug fitting long sleeve T-Shirt or light sweatshirt that will fit OVER the jacket liner, pressing it into your body all over, for maximum contact. Underneath the liner, wear a wicking / performance long sleeved shirt and nothing else.

I road from DC to NYC last Tuesday. I departed at 5am and arrived at 8:15am. The gear saved my ass! I have never owned a heated top,bottom,gloves and heated insoles but I am very happy that I met the Gerbings people at the NY bike show.They were very helpful and spent the time I needed to be sized properly and they took the time to give me a complete understanding of the operating controlls and bike hook up. I have been ridding for 35 years and I can not belive the fun that this suit has brought back to the cold months for me. I am going to purchase the lighter weight gloves in the future. I also purchased the xt version because I am 6'3. I wish the pants were about two iinches longer but a good pair of boots takes care of that cold spot. I wear a fleese top below the jacket and suit pants below the pants. I really am happy with the product and the support from the company. I have freind who fly's bombers over the midle east. He swears by the product they made for him. I know this gear could be more high tec but sometimes old school works well.

A little trick is to find a snug fitting long sleeve T-Shirt or light sweatshirt that will fit OVER the jacket liner, pressing it into your body all over, for maximum contact. Underneath the liner, wear a wicking / performance long sleeved shirt and nothing else.
Something I did was have my wife make me a custom sweater. I have the sweater that come with the Kilimanjaro jacket, but I find the vest, sweater and jacket are too bulky and too much unless its cold cold and/or I have to ride a long ways in it. The vest and Jacket by themselves are nice for heat, but has no insulation on the arms ( like the jacket liner will ). The jacket and sweater were ok in the 40's. Into the low 30's I rode that way for the daily commute but is was only tollerable and I could have never rode thay way any distance. I would have froze. - Kilimanjaro + sweater + vest = Too much - Kilimanjaro + vest = Too cold on arms, no sleeves - Kilimanjaro + sweater = Too cold, no heat So I went to the thrift store and found a thin nylon vest. Then found a nice black/gray sweater. I had my wife remove the sleeves from the sweater and add them to the vest. Plus add a zipper. This gives me the insulation layer on the arms, under the jacket. But no bulky layer under/over the vest. Its just about like having the vest alone. - Kilimanjaro + 1/2 sweater + vest = Nice for most all trips and daily commute. Adjustable heat and arms are ok. Even in low 30's this winter this is nice for the daily commute. Way better than last year. I hardly notice anything except on the arms and that is easily tollerable for me. - Kilimanjaro + fill sweater + vest = Only for the really cold days and long trips where I am in sustained cold. Last summer in June no less, and before the custom sweater was made, I rode a 475 mile day in low 40's and rain including 2 mountain passes with 33* and snowing. The first 200mi I rode with the Kilimanjaro and full sweater like I would for the daily commute. When we got to Portland OR I was freezing my ass off. 30min versus 3.5 hours = big differnce. Put on the vest with sweater. I thought I was going to die from heat exhaustion when I first got it all on and was sitting in town still. But going over Government Camp at 37* and rain/snow mix. Then later Santiam Pass at 33 and snowing it was a blessing. But I could not imagine riding that way for my 30min commute. So this is where I came up with the idea for the custom sweater with a thin nylon body that has no bulk or insulation to go with the heated vest, but provide the insulation for the arms. 2003 Concours, 46K COG #6953 IBA 28004 http://mysite.verizon.net/slybones/Concours/connieMain.htm
IMGP1036.jpg
VisitedStatesMap.jpg
VisitedProvincesMap.jpg

All I have to say about the Gerbings Heated gear that I've had for years is there R a lot of days that I would not be able to ride my M/C w/out it even during the summer... I will never ever be w/out it again when on a road trip away from home as I learned the hard way & was foolish enough to believe the Weather Channel once... I froze all the way home & it was in June as it was suppose to be 75 & sunny & it will not happen again as I don't care if they R saying 100d everyday where I'm going I will be bringing my heated gear w/ me... Oh ya I've never had any issues w/ my gear & I'm sure I use mine more than most as if I'm going for a long ride & the temps R below 65 I have to wear my gear & I my not have to turn on the heat, but I have to have the gear on or I freeze... ----------------------------- Easy Does It, But Do It & May U Always Keep The Rubber Side Down

I pretty much feel the same way. If I see that temps are going to be lower than "comfortable" I alwasy thrwo the jacket into the top case. I mean, why suffer?