• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gerbing Heated Gear Control Install

BOOTH

Scooter
Having ridden for a couple of years with the Gerbing heated liner and gloves, adding it to the Connie was one of the first things on my list. Of course, it didn't stay there since it clearly took me 5 months and 8k miles to get to it.

On the cruiser, I just had a pigtail that ran out from under the seat, but for the Connie I decided to hardwire the entire set up.

First, from Revzilla, I ordered 2 Gerbing Panel Mounted Ports and the Permanent Dual Temp Controller. This is all you'll need.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-panel-mounted-port
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/gerbings-permanent-dual-temp-controller

I installed quite a bit of stuff at the same time, so I opted for a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 and installed it under the front right top panel.

http://www.fuzeblocks.com/index.php?pid=1#board

For the install locations, I chose the left panel under the front seat and the front left top panel for the controls.

This required removing the gas tank and all assorted panels. My advice? Block out about 6 hours, make sure you've watched Fred Harmon's C-14 videos on panel removal.

http://forum.cog-online.org/index.php/topic,20898.msg77096/topicseen.html#msg77096

1. With the tank off, I placed the control module underneath the gas tank with a strip of industrial velcro:

DSCN1310.jpg

2. I ran the wires up the center of the bike and attached them to the Fuzeblock.

DSCN1308.jpg

DSCN1307.jpg

3. Then, making sure I didn't hit anything on the back side of the left panel, I drilled two holes the prescribed size, starting with a pilot hole and then using a step-drill to get to the correct size. (Yes, I actually read the instructions - take my man card away if you can find it!)  :rotflmao:

The back view
DSCN1311.jpg

Pilot hole
DSCN1313.jpg

First hole complete
DSCN1314.jpg

Second Hole complete
DSCN1315.jpg

4. Then I mounted the ports and plugged them into the control module.

DSCN1316.jpg

View from the back side
DSCN1318.jpg

5. Next, having the ports installed I replaced the gas tank and tested to make sure everything was working correctly. To do that I had to install a 10A fuse in the fuzeblock. It all worked, so I removed the fuse and decided where to mount the controls. There are a lot of options, but I really wanted the controls near the heated grip controller. Based on how everything is laid out under the panel, and after sticking the two knobs all over that panel with a bit of dual sided tape, I finally decided up here so I can see the LEDs and reach the knobs while riding.

DSCN1319.jpg

6. Paying close attention to the recommended hole sizes, I again drilled pilot holes and then enlarged them to get this:

DSCN1320.jpg

7. Mounted the controls and LED lights. LED lights required a gentle enlarging of the hole and then a tiny flat bladed screwdriver to snap them in.

DSCN1321.jpg

From the underside
DSCN1322.jpg

8. And after washing the bike, here is what she looks like:

DSCN1323.jpg

DSCN1324.jpg

DSCN1325.jpg

And it all works, just in time for summer!

Very nice install. I was thinking about doing a similar permanent install on my bike. You may want to consider posting this in the COG Wiki.  :great:

Heated gear "install" :

The two powerlet covered sockets on the right tunnel cover, controlled by a Dispatch 1 wireless remote....

1212C14-April10.jpg

VERY nice writeup!    I'm thinking of doing something similar to mine :)

(Ps, I saw JR's bike at the national, and it's some VERY neat wiring :) )

Mad River Marc said:
VERY nice writeup!    I'm thinking of doing something similar to mine :)

(Ps, I saw JR's bike at the national, and it's some VERY neat wiring :) )

Thanks Marc. It is neat, because there is so little of it. The Rostra actually creates more wiring "nests" than all the rest together. Heh.

Thanks guys! Capt, I'll submit this to the wiki.

JR - I looked at that right side install (very clean btw!), but the gerbling wires come out of the left side and I didn't want wires rubbing across the gas tank and in my way. (Also I had already installed the fuzeblock underneath.) Is your gear wired on the right side of the liner, or did you reroute them. Just curious.

Also open to any tips on the "wiring nest" now under that right tunnel cover.

Cheers!

backoutonthehighway said:
Thanks guys! Capt, I'll submit this to the wiki.

JR - I looked at that right side install (very clean btw!), but the gerbling wires come out of the left side and I didn't want wires rubbing across the gas tank and in my way. (Also I had already installed the fuzeblock underneath.) Is your gear wired on the right side of the liner, or did you reroute them. Just curious.

Also open to any tips on the "wiring nest" now under that right tunnel cover.

Cheers!

I can't help you with the wiring nest, I'm OCD-unhappy about what I have, which is almost none, much less what my ZX14 looked like under the right tunnel cover. I hate to look at my Rostra under the same cover, because it instigates a large nest of wires. I got rid of a lot of it by putting the long 4-5 foot section with the connectors in several places inside an insulated tube and letting them hang down into the bottom cowl

As for the heated gear wires, I have TechSpec on my tank, so I'm not worried about the wires. I use coiled leads with powerlet low profile for the sockets on the cover, and on the other end they have the coax connectors like my heated gear uses.

If it bothers me after I use it a while, I will change my heated gear. Heh.

Slowly releasing my OCD as I age, but I'm not there yet. Seeing all those brightly colored wires underneath is bugging me.  :mad:

Of course, I have 5 of the 6 spaces in the fuzeblock already filled (Stebel Nautilus, SW-MOTECH tankbag, Heli-riser powerport, Givi powered trunk, & Gerbling) so I'm not sure how that is NOT suppose to produce an superabundance of wiring.  :truce:

Thinking about coiling it all in a sturdy black plastic bag and zip-tying it to the fuzeblock bracket.

Slowly releasing my OCD as I age, but I'm not there yet. Seeing all those brightly colored wires underneath is bugging me.  :mad:

Of course, I have 5 of the 6 spaces in the fuzeblock already filled (Stebel Nautilus, SW-MOTECH tankbag, Heli-riser powerport, Givi powered trunk, & Gerbling) so I'm not sure how that is NOT suppose to produce an superabundance of wiring.  :truce:

Thinking about coiling it all in a sturdy black plastic bag and zip-tying it to the fuzeblock bracket.

What does OCD mean?  I too use Gerbing's products and can't find an L anywhere in the name.  You do very nice work and also write quite well.  As for the uncontrolled rat's nest of wiring that accumulates when adding electrical accessories, your proposed black plastic bag solution is as good as anything I have ever found.   

This has been my experience too. You hang enough farkles, pretty soon you have a bunch of wires that don't belong to the bike. So putting a bunch in a plastic bag sounds good to me.

BudCallaghan said:

What does OCD mean?  I too use Gerbing's products and can't find an L anywhere in the name.  You do very nice work and also write quite well.  As for the uncontrolled rat's nest of wiring that accumulates when adding electrical accessories, your proposed black plastic bag solution is as good as anything I have ever found. 

Well shit!  :mad: I wondered where those "L's" had gotten off to!  ???

Thanks! Oh, and OCD: Obsessive-compulsive disorder.

When I take the time to bag all the wires up, I'll add a picture to this.

Cheers!