• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Getting KTRC error message

dkirman

Tricycle
I'm getting the KTRC error message on my dash display. At first everything is good during the startup, the light blinks until I get rolling and then the lights go off. Then I get down the road a bit and the lights come on and the KTRC error is displayed and the ABS and traction control stop working. I'm wondering if this can be related to the recent reflash of my ECU, because before the reflash this did not happen. When I shut the bike off everything seems to reset, the warning goes away but again when I get down the road it comes back. One time I got up to 50 mph before it came on, other times at 20 mph or maybe slower. Is the ABS and KTRC controlled by the main ECU or is there a separate controller? I plan to call the guy who reflashed my ECU this morning to get his thoughts.

Who reflashed your ECU?

Normally I would suspect a faulty wheel speed sensor to cause this kind of problem, but I don't know how the ECU reflash plays into the equation.

The ABS function is controlled by the ABS box which is separate from the ECU. But on the 2010 and 2011 bikes, the ABS box sends a signal to the ECU when wheel spin occurs which tells the ECU to reduce fuel, spark, and close the secondary throttle plates.

I have had my ECU reflashed by Guhl Motors and I have since gone out onto gravel and intentionally engaged the traction control by spinning the rear wheel, and it works just like it always did.

I don't want to give out any bad press to the guy who reflashed my ECU until I get more information. I should mention I just replaced a lot of body work on this bike (2010 C14 with ABS and KRTC) due to the front hydro-planing on me in Wisconsin. I rode the bike home to Illinois afterwards and the ABS and KTRC worked fine with no error messages. In replacing the various cowling pieces I do not believe I had anything apart related to the ABS/KTRC system. I got the ECU back the other day and the first ride displayed the KTRC error message.

My guess would be that you have a bad wheel speed sensor or the gap on it is not set correctly. That is usually the cause of ABS or TCS problems and would be the first thing I would check. If the Traction Control light didn't come on immediately after the ECU was reinstalled after the reflash, then it probably is not to blame.

From your description of the problem, I think I'd also suspect the front wheel speed sensor more than the rear.

Fred, where is the computer for the ABS/KTRC located?  And why do you suspect the front wheel?  As for my changing out parts to fix the cosmetic damage I did not have the wheels off. I took the front fender off and added a hugger on the rear from Project D but as far as monkeying with anything related to the sensors I have not touched them. Like I mentioned I drove over 200 miles back home after the accident without any KTRC errors coming up. I like the idea of cleaning and checking the sensors even though they seem to work because the light go  out once I start rolling after startup. Once the lights come on they stay on, it does not go away until I shut the bike off. Also, I am not initiating any ABS or KTRC reaction while driving, the warning comes on without cause.

If you removed the front fender, you may have disturbed the position of the front sensor. I'd also carefully inspect the wire coming off it and make sure it didn't get pinched or damaged.

The ABS/KTRC brain is built into the ABS motor box which is located behind the battery.

The reason I suspect the front sensor is that the system will do the same thing if you put the bike on the centerstand and run the rear wheel. The system detects rear wheel rotation but no front wheel rotation and interprets this as a rear wheel spin event. It then attempts to stop the wheel spin by engaging the traction control, but is unable to since the front wheel isn't actually rotating, so it then generates a fault.  Loss of signal from the front wheel speed sensor would cause the exact same scenario.

By the way, one other point I should mention is that wheel speed pickup sensors are extremely sensitive to how the gap is set between them and the slotted disc on the wheel that acts on them. They are essentially Hall Effect sensors, and the gap on them has to be nearly perfect for them to work. If they are out of adjustment even a millimeter it can be enough to make them stop working.

Thanks Fred. Looks like I got some stuff to check. I am at work now so it will have to wait awhile but I'll post some feedback on what I find. later, Don

Check the rear sensor too. A bad rear sensor would also trigger a fault, so it could be either one, but my money is on the front.

I believe there is a spec in the service manual for the gap between the sensor and the disc. Be sure to measure it and make sure it is in spec on both sensors.

I checked both sensors for the correct gap (1mm or 0.039") and both were right on the money. I inspected the wiring also. The front sensor goes up and into that boot under the right inner cowling cover and that wiring and connector look good. I took the front sensor out and cleaned it. So far I have not found the problem. I read a little about how to get the diagnostic codes but when I push the two buttons it just goes to the setting ENGLISH, etc menu so I must be missing a step or ? No change when I took it for a test ride, everything is good and then the system senses something is wrong and the KTRC error and lights come on.

There are a couple fuses in fuse box #2 for the ABS system that you might want to check. You may have to take it to a dealer and get them to test the wheel speed sensors. One of them may have stopped working.

The fuses are good. I retrieved the error codes this morning on the last test ride. I am getting error code 27 and B45. The service manual says code 27 is detected by the ECU. Code B45 says to check the rear wheel sensor and there are some continuity checks. I got more work to do.

You may have a problem with a pin on one of the connectors for the ECU that happened when you removed and reinstalled it. I'd remove the connectors for the ECU and look real close at all the pins and the connectors.

I inspected the pins and connectors on the ECU last night, look good. I'm going to get started on the continuity checks for the B45 code.

Problem is fixed. Found a place on the rear wheel sensor wire that had been pinched. It was making contact intermittently which set the code. Lesson learned, trust the diagnostic code. The code description was sensor wiring shorted or open.