• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Givi 46 quick connect

Berk66

The 2012 I just bought last week has a Givi top case on it which I like, but I will probably only use when I go on longer trips.  It has a wire running from under the seat under the rack and into the case.  When I release the case from mounting bracket I don't see a way to disconnect the wires from the case.  Am I missing something?  Maybe the previous owner never wanted to take the box off so didn't bother with a disconnect.  I'm thinking of splicing in a waterproof two prong pigtail connector. What are the rest of you doing for a wiring disconnect?

I used a 4 pin flat trailer connector, I have brake and running lights. I've been thinking of using the 4th wire to add a "hot" 12v outlet in the trunk to charge items while I'm away from the bike (Sena).

I used an IP67-rated, 3-conductor miniature bulkhead connector from TE (IIRC...) for the v46 on my 2008. A hole was drilled in the lower right side of the trunk, in a position where a seated passenger won't interfere with the attached wiring. A mating connector was attached to a 'Y' harness which plugs in between the stock running/brake light connector set. This routes Run/Stop and Gnd connections into the trunk. FWIW, I used OEM-style Hitachi connectors for the interface part of the circuit.

My lighting system is an Admore LED unit. To get Run/Stop functionality on two wires I built a 'Y' from two 1N4004 diodes and a resistor. The resistor is connected to the Run wire in the trunk and goes to the anode of one of the diodes. The anode of the other diode connects to the Stop wire. Both cathodes are tied together and are connected to the + connection of the Admore board, while the - connection is tied to the Gnd wire from the bulkhead connector.

Adjust the value of the resistor for best contrast between running and brake functions. Mine used a 220 ohm, 1/2w metal film part.

I really wish Phil would make his Racks with a cutout for the Givi power connector...and I've spoken to him about this, but he says the rack geometry precludes such a mod.