• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

givi size advice and mount fab question

I have a 98 that I'm building my luggage brackets for.  I have an old wingrack and an E460 left over from my SV650 that I sold.  I have a set of tipover bars from murph on the way as well.  My plan is to come off the tipover bars on the front and mount the bags as low and in as possible.  Questions are:

1.  I was using the E460 as a trunk.  I am planning on 2up touring.  Would you buy another E460 and a E52 for the trunk, or just buy 2 E360's for the sides?  Would the bigger stuff be too much to haul over the passes and still turn some corners?

2.  I was planning to set the bottom 3/4" to 1" off the muffler.  Is this too close?  How far off the can does the bottom need to be?

Thanks,
Rick

I just measured my luggage and from the backside of the antlers they extend outward about 11". My E460 Trunk measures approximately 12.5" tall. Therefore you would be adding at least 1.5" to the width of the bike on each side (3") and this is assuming you can make your mounts no wider than the stock antlers.

The E360s are made for either side or top mounting and IMHO are better suited for the task of being side bags.

Also my stock bags are approximately 1.25" from the top of the cans.  Hope this helps.

No good answer here but one thing to consider.  I think the stock width will barely fit though a standard width gate or door.  Any wider and you SHALL NOT PASS without taking the bags off.

Just for the people doing searches, i built my brackets so they sat 1/4" off the brake caliper, and an E360 just just just barely fit inside the Rivco bars, while the E460 was a good inch wider than the bars on each side.  So I would stick with the E360 widthwise unless you feel very lucky.