• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Givi Topcase Woes

chrisd61

Staff member
After six good years of service, I finally had a problem with my Givi Monokey V46 top case. The latching mechanism to the Givi plate in my top case came loose twice in the same week.

First time I was riding back from a day trip from Vermont and upper New-York state, and the top case rattled, unlatched itself and decided to pass me on the right... I was able to slow and stop and pick it up, lots of cosmetic damage but it was still usable. I latched it back to the bike and rode it home.

This morning, I was taking a slower trace to work on typical "iffy" Montreal pavement and it became unlatched - again. This time, I was able to stop, put on the 4 ways and lock it back into place. When I get back home tonight, it's going to the souvenir bin (until I eventually chuck it to the garbage, but there are a lot of memory stickers in that case... Sigh.).

I have two other top cases, so I'll use another, but anybody else experienced this problem? I would have expected the Givi case to be sturdier...

Comments?

If I don’t need to frequently remove my trunk,
I secure it with a clevis pin through the bottom
and rack and a hairpin clip.
Very secure yet easily undone to remove trunk.

My Givi Maxia came loose 3 times before I bolted it on semi permanent. The problem is free play. Bumps grind away the metal latch latching parts until they are too loose to hold against a big bump. Both the post on the mounting plate and the latch on the Givi were visibly worn.

Good Post, and sorry for your Troubles OP.  :truce:

When I installed my Maxia55, I opted to use the included felt pads on the top of the rack to make a more snug fit between case and rack.  I believe I'm running Phil's upgraded rack.
Granted, I have to really press-down to get the latch to engage the platform, but it does not have any freeplay between the seat and the latch.  Hopefully that mitigates any wearing of the mechanism, and keeps mine going long into the future.

Pinning the top mount. Interesting idea!  :beerchug:

gr

Baggerjohn said:
Out of curiosity...was this with the stock Givi mount, with Phil's rack and mount, or with something else?
On mine I have a Givi aluminum plate bolted to an aluminum oem rack replacement I made myself.