• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Glasses

Gscott

09 C14
Time for wife and myself to get new glasses, looking at the transition type of lens. Would like to know if these will darken behind the helmet shields?
I wear a Shoei neotech and wife wears a RF 1100 with chromatic shield (mirror type).

I've never taken mine off to look.  I can say that I've had auto darkening lenses ever since they first came out decades ago.  I would never buy lenses that did not darken automatically.  I don't know how anyone's eyes can tolerate clear lenses. 

It is my understanding that transition lenses don't darken behind the UV protection of a face shield, so you might want to check before you buy. At least that was my experience about 10 years ago; the technology may be different now.

I currently have (have had for 5 yrs +) transition lenses and they do not darken behind modern face shields, as pointed out, because the shields block the UV rays. Same thing in the car's, UV rays are blocked so no worky.  I used my FSA bucks and had a pair of sunglasses scripted out, no line bifocals with the 'reader' portion focal point at like,,,,22" instead of the standard 18" (I think). That way could see the gauges better, also, because I don't need the reader part to read, asked they make that part a low as possible since most of my viewing is eyes up, looking out.
Yeah, a pain to manage/carry around a pair of sunglasses then another pair of glasses, but,,,,,I live with it. Plus, I prefer dark sunglasses anyways, the transitions only get their usage outside on cloudy'ish days, and/or when wearing a ball cap, other wise, they aren't dark enough for sunglasses use for me personally.

I had a pair of these and they worked great in cold weather. Okay in hot, but really dark in the cold. Don't know about behind a 'shield, but I suspect the comment about less effective due to the helmet shield would be correct.

Gscott said:
Time for wife and myself to get new glasses, looking at the transition type of lens. Would like to know if these will darken behind the helmet shields?
I wear a Shoei neotech and wife wears a RF 1100 with chromatic shield (mirror type).

Mine didn't.

My transition lenses don't significantly darken behind a faceshield or windshield. But, I remember my eye doctor asking if I wanted a pair that would and supposedly there are some that will darken while driving or riding. I didn't inquire further, but maybe your doctor will know more.

Thank all for your replies. was hoping things had changed since the photo grey lens, seem like not so much.
Vic have thought about doing what you are regular glasses for inside and thinking, progressive  sunglasses for riding. My father-in-law carried two sets of glasses for most of his life. I thank both were old fashion type bi-focals.
Dan will be asking doctor about what you said as well, best option if they will go dark enough, and work behind UV protection.
Will know more next week after appointment.       

Gscott, doesn't your Neotech have the flip down dark lens?

I think; I recall that they now offer Transitions that work in your car. Previous ones didn't.
            If so, I think they would work with your helmet.

Regardless of them working with your helmet,,,, they are worth having for normal use alone!

Ride safe, Ted

The built in flip down shield is the way to go.  No issues with changing from day to night, tunnels, fog... and no special glasses needed. 

The lenses that change even when UV is blocked are a LOT more and my provider said they really do not work better.

Texas Concours14 said:
It is my understanding that transition lenses don't darken behind the UV protection of a face shield, so you might want to check before you buy. At least that was my experience about 10 years ago; the technology may be different now.

:iagree:

Ted yes neotech has drop down visor just not dark enough for these old welders eyes and the desert glare.
Bob will check about the possibility of ones that work with the UV coatings.

Now we need a Carol and Alice to join in. (if you're old enough to remember that movie)

I have had Transitions lenses for years, replacing mine every 2 years for the past 10 years or so.  They do not get dark behind a face shield with UV protection or inside your car.  They do have a version of Transitions lenses (called Drivewear) that will change color behind a face shield or windshield, but they turn more of a bronze color instead of getting dark.  They are also very expensive.

My biggest gripe with Transitions lenses is they don't lighten up quick enough, even with their newest technology.  If you walk into the garage from being out in the yard, you can't see anything.  Also, if I'm working on my bike or car with the garage door open, the residual light from outside will darken the Transition lenses, making it difficult to see what I am doing.

I just got new glasses three weeks ago and did not opt for the transition lenses this time.  Instead, I got my normal Crizal lenses with a pair of Chemistrie Magnetic Clip-on sunglasses.  These can be made to fit any frame and any lens.  They are held on by very strong magnets.  Now I can just pop them on when I am outside, riding or driving and take them off as soon as I walk inside or work in the garage.  I have ridden with them on and my face shield up and they don't move, even if you turn your head.

Just throwing this option out there for you to consider.  I get my glasses from my opthamologist (not online) and adding the Transitions feature to my normal lenses usually costs me $100.  These magnetic clip-ons cost me $160.  YMMV.

Gscott said:
Ted yes neotech has drop down visor just not dark enough for these old welders eyes and the desert glare.
Bob will check about the possibility of ones that work with the UV coatings.

Now we need a Carol and Alice to join in. (if you're old enough to remember that movie)

When I got my Neotec their drop down was the darkest and best optics of all the ones sold.  I agree though that it could be a bit more.  I do have a pair of prescription sun glasses and if headed into the sun for hours I have used both at the same time.  Very dark.

I have had photo-grey lenses in my glasses for years.  They have never worked for more than a minute after I have dropped my shield.

I bought a new helmet last year - thinking I would get the flip-down pilot dark lenses.  Decided to go the extra expense of the shield with the photo-grey (Transitions) feature instead.

I am happy!

Experience has shown that the darken/lighten effect slows (in glasses) in action either way.  So you will possibly need to replace the shield at some point if you keep the helmet long enough.

Minimise the bits you use - glasses (clear or photo-grey); Transitions shield; quality helmet.  Enjoy

Cal

:UPDATE:
Going to go with prescription sunglasses. Think I will go grey coating instead of green.
Talked to eye doctor yesterday he thought bifocals would be better than progressives with the bouncing around on the bike, personally with a big street bike I don't think this would be a problem other than progressives take more lens space than bifocals.
Anybody out there with real world experience with this situation between the two?
The main reason for duel type lenses is to see GPS screen clearer (at 31 inches) from eyes.
Bob, your last post is how I feel exactly Shoei drop down sunshade the best, but at times could be darker.
Cal, don't think they make a transition shield that fits the Shoei Neotec.     

I got progressive lenses once and they are horrible.  The focusing area is shaped like a snowman in each lens, like this ( 8 ) ( 8 ) so for distance you look through the top halves of the eights and for up close you look through the bottom halves of the eights.  Everywhere else is a funhouse mirror and you have to turn your head so you can look through the eights-halves.
Progressive lenses like that are for vanity at a high cost in utility.

My regular glasses are progressives. I might wear them on the bike for short trips in the neighborhood, but they aren't my thing for anything more than that. Too much trouble trying to get the right focus point for what I need to see. I took the same approach as Vic: I have special bifocals that I got specifically for riding. I'm very nearsighted, BTW. On these glasses, my distance prescription is stock, but the "add" for the lower section is 1/2 of the prescription (e.g., instead of a 2.5 add, I used 1.25). I found that puts the gauges perfectly in focus from my riding position. The glasses stay in the right pocket of my riding jacket, so it's almost automatic for me to pull them out as I gear up to ride. I have clip-on polarized sunglasses that match the frames for the bright sun, and my RF1200 is equipped with the Transitions face shield. This gives me a combination that works for just about everything except long stretches of night riding, and if I know I will be doing that I will slip the clear face shield in the top box.

I tried progressive lenses once. Never again, because my work has me climbing around on stuff and it was way too hard for me to make sure I had a safe footing.

I had hoped / expected that the progressive lenses would have a snail-shell shape that would gradually change the focus as my line of sight moved off center.  I have a strong prescription for near sightedness and in later years they added a "cylinder" that is supposed to help perfect the focus.  I already have off-center distortion that I learn to convert to isometric 3-D in my brain-model.  What I really see if I'm on a very long straightaway looks like this:
| | with head facing straight ahead
( ( with head turned right so the road is in the left side of my lenses
) ) with head turned left so the road is in the right side of my lenses
If I had the snail-shell lenses I expect that it would be the same except with an exaggerated perspective because the stronger prescription at the top would make things smaller, thus farther away.  I'm sure the computer controlled program for the snails would be much simpler to program and easier to polish than the actual program used to make the eights, even if the concept of the eights is a little simpler.  And I already compensate for the distortion of my regular eyeglasses so I don't get why nobody offers the product I'm yearning for.