• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GLOVE BOX PROBLEM !

JJPSUPERDAD

Training Wheels
Hi all I just found a problem with the side glove box on our 2011 Concours 14.

If you press the button on the side glove box when the key is off it will unlock.

Try this just press a little harder  then normal or as hard as you can and pop and it will open.

I am glad I found this out before some dishonest person did! :'( :mad: :'(

That glovebox was pretty much a joke I decided I disabled the selonoid to allow to open and close whenever I want and not put anything valuable inside

If you continue to press harder on it in an attempt to duplicate this problem, you will further weaken the lock and pretty soon it won't lock at all.

I'd suggest you not do this. It's made out of plastic parts, so it's not designed to take a lot of stress, and just like any glove box latch on any vehicle, it's only designed to keep curious people out, not real thieves. A real thief would just stick a screwdriver under the lid and pry on it till it popped open.

Fred_Harmon_TX said:
If you continue to press harder on it in an attempt to duplicate this problem, you will further weaken the lock and pretty soon it won't lock at all.

I'd suggest you not do this. It's made out of plastic parts, so it's not designed to take a lot of stress, and just like any glove box latch on any vehicle, it's only designed to keep curious people out, not real thieves. A real thief would just stick a screwdriver under the lid and pry on it till it popped open.

That's what I was thinking, "the glove box is good enough to keep the casual curious individual out; but a determined crook - not so much." In this case, it's good enough for me.

Yeah, I don't keep anything expensive in there (Tire guage, few odds and ends etc)  But I want to look into modifying my bike and adding the 08 - 09 style glovebox.  I know it's been done (There was an excellent writeup on the old Forum that sadly was lost in the "Database Crash"  :( )

For me that glovebox would be more useful then the stupid locking one

The glove box never was designed to be totally secure.  It is only a plastic latch that seats on a plastic panel.  Any flex of the surrounding area, of course, will spring the latch.  (And, avoid constant opening and closing of the box as this will result in deterioration of teh mechanism.)  As with any bike, its security is dependant on both the general surrounding conditions and specific setting of where you park.  The glove box only keeps the curious from a quick walk-by review of the contents (but curiosity and innovation grows with a bike tucked away out of sight).  Here's an easy rule:  If you are not comfortable with leaving your helmet in a particular location, don't leave anything of any greater value in the box and, obviously, nothing that will strand you or is irreplaceable if stolen.  (Of course, you would never keep anything of any value--perhaps gloves and bike manual although a bit small for the book.)

But, while on the topic of the glove box:  Why not have two, or at least an easy pop-out panel on the right side of the C14 to use as a slightly recessed mounting for other devices?!?  Is there an after-market alteration available ... haven't seen one?!?

I own a 09 ABS Connie....and wish I had a pair of glove boxes in my fairing.  Unless my Connie is unique, contrary to one of the posts stating 'like the 08-09 Connies...' the 09's did not come with any glove compartments in the fairing.  If anyone has any info on an after market mod for making such a compartment on my '09, PUH-LEESE let me know.

Sunglasses and a neatly folded hat in the box of my '11. Sometimes the manual on a trip, but that eliminates the ability to carry a hat. Since I'm "folicularly challanged", the hat is more useful.

Remember that it's only meant to keep honest people honest. Never keep anything of real value in it. That's why I liked not having a lock on the 08-09.