• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Good summer full face helmet?

A_C

Training Wheels
Hello everyone, Been riding for a couple years now and want to invest in a decent helmet. (right now I have a basic black hjc helmet). Any recommendations on a decent full face helmet for the summer months? My HJC has been ok, but I find the venting lacking. Looking forward to your responses. Colin

I have a Shoei and like, it, also a HJC and it's also pretty nice. The HJC has adequate padding and I am wearing it more often. I bought it for track use since my Shoei fits a little loose. Overall I'd rate them like this: #1 Shoei (but expensive) #2 KBC - Korean Bell Company - my wife has one and its ver nice #3 HJC - Good helmet, Snell and DOT rated You can shop Newenough.com and also other places like Motorcycle Superstore, Chaparral Motorsports and Competition Accessores as they have been having HUGE sales for a month now. You may be able to find a nice one for $69 plus shipping - what I paid for the KBC and HJC. Most of the models are the same except for color and any graphics, within a manufacturers product line. Enjoy! David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

I have the HJC sy-max with sun shade. The venting on it is far better than the older HJCs, and I can put it on and remove it with out removing my glasses. Got it from a local steeler for the same price as Motorcycle Super Store when I made the comment that "I could oreder it on-line for a much smaller price than they quoted." The flip down sun shade is not all it's cracked up to be, but I do use it some. "If it hasn't killed me yet, it's runnin out of time" COG # 8062 AMA # 1084053 ROMA or Scarlet harlot acording to my wife

I just received an email from Competition Accessories and they are having a huge helmet blowout. http://www.compacc.com/s/Bargains_Specials_Helmets_Street_Full_Face.cfm/y/0/f/0 This link is for full-face, there are other models also. David in Jax COG# 7898 NE FL AAD & COG Vendor www.dreamjobresumes.com preparing resumes for COG members and friends I ride a KAWASAKI ZZR1200 - Euro http://www.motorbikestoday.com/reviews/Articles/ZZR1200.htm US http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/roadtests/2002_kawasaki_zzr1200/index.html

I got my Shoei multitec or whatever because it was the quietest of the flip up helmets. It is much quieter then my HJC was. The venting works fairly well also. I can actually feel a breeze across the top of my head with it open. Bad news is the liner is not all removable like the HJC and the price is something that you have to justify somehow. Photos[/url]

Whatever helmet manufacturer you choose, get a WHITE helmet. Not only is it cooler in summer, it's much more noticeable to the cage operators on their cell phones. FWIW: I have a HJC IS-Max (white of course) that offers very good ventilation. The integrated sun shield is a bonus.

Even the best designed helmet will not ventilate as well as designed behind the fairing/windscreen of a Connie. This is the reason many have fabricated their own shorty windscreens for summer use. -- Steve Smith, COG #3184 COG Northeast Area Director (somewhere in south central CT)
larryline.gif
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Thanks for the tips. A white helmet is at the top of my list, I'll really stick out with that and my hi viz yellow jacket :) last summer, I experimented a lot with 'summer' shields. For a couple weeks I even rode without a windscreen at all. This spring I'm going to 'try' and make some DIY bakerbuilt wings. Does anyone have any experience with 'nolan' helmets? Or 'open face' helmets? A Nolan N43 'Air' (europe only) has caught my eye... supposed to give the benefit of an open face with a little more safety.

I've used the Nolan N100E (been through two of them actually). I prefer the HJC chinbar release system as you can use either hand but the newer Nolans have a different release than my N100s. The noise level is about the same in the Nolan and the HJC IS-Max. The pin-lock shield anti-fog on the Nolan is great! I tend to use the Nolan during colder weather because of the anti-fog system. The HJC and the Nolan are about the same weight (Nolan may be slightly heavier).

I have a Scorpion EXO400 that I am VERY happy with - but looking to upgrade to the EXO1000. One thing I would always do before buying ANY brand of helmet - visit a local store and try it out! They are different shapes and the sizing is not universal. I find I need the XL size in the Scorpion, but only a L when I wore a Shoei!

I've been using Nolan's since my first day of MSF class, and have been quite happy with their construction. I've had both the N102 and N103 versions, and slightly prefer the n102. The anti-fog system is great and the vent system works well, too. The liner is washable, too. My favorite feature about the Nolans is the helmet clasp...I hate D-rings. COG #8892 CDA #0309 So glad this Vol can tour!