• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GoPro Hero 7 Black Under Mirror Mount

shoupeja

I thought I would try an under mirror GoPro mount.  I purchased a small sheet of 16-gauge steel from Lowe's and cut it out with a 2" diameter on one end to mount under the mirror and a 2.5" diameter on the other end to mount a 1" RAM ball.  I painted the mount flat black.  My only real concern was shaking of the camera as the 16 gauge steel is not very thick. I could go thicker but with the three 6mm bolts holding the mount, the camera, and retaining the mirror itself, I was concerned that it might get to be too much weight.  It turns out the GoPro has built-in "HyperSmoothing" technology that seems to remove any/all shaking from the video.  I am actually pretty happy with the set up! 

Attachments

• IMG_20190303_114406849.jpg
    IMG_20190303_114406849.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 110
  • P3090002_1.JPG
    P3090002_1.JPG
    197.6 KB · Views: 115
  • P3100001_1.JPG
    P3100001_1.JPG
    233.3 KB · Views: 183
Thanks for sharing Jas.  Very ingenious.  I can't use your set-up exactly as is, but it has given me some very good ideas on how to mount my own Sony Action Cam.     

Thanks...  I'm not sure about ingenious, but cheap for sure!  I was looking at how HowieHere had mounted his GoPro on the left inner fairing (flat area in front of the storage case) and almost went that route, but then I thought I would give this approach a try. The main reason I posted was to get people thinking about other possibilities for mounting things.  Always good to see other ideas.  I'm thinking about switching to a thicker piece of sheet aluminum rather than steel.  It would probably be just as light and offer a bit more rigidity, although the GoPro does seem to totally eliminate any shaking in the video.

Whats the advantage of the mirror mount? I have mine on a helmet mount and I like the fact that I can look at whatever I want to film. Its nice when coming across animals etc.

I had my previous GoPro mounted on my old helmet.  I had it mounted directly on top of the helmet which caused it to stick up quite a bit.  I'm sue it looked kind of goofy up there, but it also caused some wind drag on the top of my head.  I did like it there though, although I was always worried about the adhesive mount coming loose at speed and the whole thing falling off.  It never did!  When I got a new helmet I didn't really want to go with the adhesive mount again.  I have seen where some mount a camera in the mouth vents in the front of the helmet, but the GoPro is fairly large so I didn't know if that would work.  With the RAM mount under the mirror I can have it on and off in seconds which is a plus for me.  I certainly understand the ability to have the camera record what your are looking at with the helmet mount, and I will continue to look at ways to mount the camera off the side of the helmet in the future.  DirtWiz, how do you mount your camera on your helmet? 

konehead said:
I'm gonna  assume you cant mount a gopro camera on a modular helmet? or can it be done....?

Check youtube.  Some folks mount their go pro on the side (r or l) and some mount it on the chin bar.

I have mounted my Session on the top of my modular helmet, to the side of my helmet and to the  front of the bike down under the nose.  I hated them all.  I attached a lanyard to the thing and now just wear it around my neck.  I don't care for video of a bike going down a curvy road.  It makes me dizzy.  I do however pick it up if I see something cool, point it at it and hit the button.  If I am having to "drive" then I drive and pictures still get missed but on my long trip I got video of everything I wanted to and I did it safely.