• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Gordonsville, VA Breakfast & Ride 17 February 2013

KLRIDER

Hello COGgers and COGgettes,

I've just finished up a ~90 mile ride route for our get together on Sunday 17 February in Gordonsville. I will have route sheets, let me know if you would like to have it it sent to you before then.

Weather dependent, of course.  Any cancellations will appear here.

Ride will end in Crozet. Tim Steele has found a good place there for hot liquids and grub, the Mud House coffee house.

I hope to see you all there.

***This just in***

Our own COG Historian Bob Dombrowe and his wife Patty have just offered to host us for a lunch at ride's end at their place in Crozet! Same place where we met last July for lunch.

Details to follow just before the ride.......or during.  ;)

Might need a longer route then, if we are having lunch in Crozet?

Or we could ride behind Clayton. It would take hours to get there. :rotflmao:

Tim And Trish said:
Might need a longer route then, if we are having lunch in Crozet?

Or we could ride behind Clayton. It would take hours to get there. :rotflmao:

:lol_hitting:

Guyz,

It's a 90 mile route, Tim.  A coupla stops along the way. A neat general store in Syria.  We could do it twice!  :motonoises:

This is far from dakar, Dan.  It's about 99 and 44/100% paved.  ;D

IF temps are up there is one water crossing. No, the road doesn't go under the water, the water goes over the road! Trick, eh? It's paved, short, and pretty..........if no icy stuff along the edges......easy to change to another road.

Eleven days until the ride. Think warmer.

Forty two days until EQUINOX!  ;)

I am buying some land in Goochland,Va  that weekend.  I hope to spend more time in the area in the future and possibly join a few of these get togethers.  ;)

Speaking of Eqinox, isn't there a ride to some sculpture or mystical place to celebrate that?

Sun Feb 17

High: 28° :-\

Low:  20°

Mostly Cloudy

Chance of precip:10%Wind: WNW at 11 mph

Temp when we leave the house to get there: 21°  :great:

Beautiful day to ride! 
:motonoises:

Guyz n gurlz,

COGGER Extraordinaire Bob Dombrowe just made this very nice offer for us:

"Hi Pat,

The weatherman's forecast for this coming Sunday is a high of 28 degrees (the coldest all week) with a few snow showers the day before.  I know you are ironbutt riders, but if it stays cold (seems like weather is a moving target) and you decide it is not safe, I will just throw out this as a possible option.

I have a slew of MC DVD's, Netflix, etc. and a 65" plasma to watch them on, plus an air hockey table and we can get plenty to eat.

I'm just sharing this incase you are considering canceling the ride like a couple of years ago, here's another option.  Arm chair riding is not as fun as the real thing, but keep this in your back pocket if you think it may work and if not that is ok too. 

Ride Safe.

Bob"

Bob is one of the reasons that many people have "stayed for the people".  :pDT_Armataz_01_37:

Sooooooo, I'll be keeping a eye toward the weather. Hopefully it won't be like last year......17 degrees.......high winds........snow forecasted.  I will do any changes in the ride schedule right here.

Tiger or Frontier? Hmmmm. Stay tuned.

Wussies!!!

I just got back from a ride over in WV this past w/e. Seven of us local ADV Riders braved the rain, snow, wind, cold, and black ice for what we have called our "Black Ice Ride." We had so much fun and pucker time we have decided to make it an annual event. One of the fellas left Richmond Friday night and braved a pretty heavy snow storm to get where we were staying just outside of Franklin, WV. He got up there around 9:00 that evening.

Saturday morning, three of the bikes wouldn't start and they needed a little coaxing to get them going. Friday on the way up we tried to get over Reddish Knob, but got turned back by all the snow. Saturday, we also tried to get up to Spruce Knob, but there was just enough ice under the snow that traction was zip. It was then I really wished I had put my studded tires on the KLR.

Heading out from Richmond:
Mickey%20black%20ice-L.jpg

Temps at the overlook at Germany Valley:
black%20ice%20ride-L.jpg

Trying to get up Spruce Knob:
Winter%20WE%20Ride%2002-08-13%20018-L.jpg

Lunch in Blue Grass, VA on Saturday:
Winter%20WE%20Ride%2002-08-13%20023-L.jpg

I'll probably miss this ride. My younger daughter is running the DC Marathon this w/e and we have promised to be up there to cheer her on. If ya'll go, be safe.

Guy

Guy, glad that you got Isabel away from the garage and you all survived West Virginia. Feb Are You Wary can be rather dicey. I love those "No Snow Removal" roads. Too bad that route 25 off Reddish knob was snowed under-----it's paved to Sugar Grove and faster now. Did you get more BUCKWHEAT flour at the Blue Grass store? Best luck with the Marathon.

Tim, sorry you won't be there Sunday. Maybe see you and Guy at Russell's Sport Touring Camaraderie ride on 28 April.  ;)

klrider said:
Guy, glad that you got Isabel away from the garage and you all survived West Virginia. Feb Are You Wary can be rather dicey. I love those "No Snow Removal" roads. Too bad that route 25 off Reddish knob was snowed under-----it's paved to Sugar Grove and faster now. Did you get more BUCKWHEAT flour at the Blue Grass store? Best luck with the Marathon.

Tim, sorry you won't be there Sunday. Maybe see you and Guy at Russell's Sport Touring Camaraderie ride on 28 April.  ;)

I got my months mixed up. The marathon is next month, so might be able to make this.

Our local Martin's carries Buckwheat flour, so no need to "import" it any longer.

Hope to see you Sunday.

Tom and I are standing in line to get into the VA Beach gun show discussing this ride. I've had a few brutally cold trips up there in the past. It's 60F here right now. We're considering making the trip.

Heated gear and riding the FJR may may make it an option.

We'll make the call tomorrow.

Folks,

I'm looking out my window at white mountains, with an inch or two more coming tomight, and a low of 24 for a morning departure, so

********The COG Ride at Gordonsville is CANCELLED**********

********But the day for us is NOT CANCELLED*********

Meet at Bob and Patty Dombrowe's at 1206 Woodbourne Ct, Crozet around 11 AM for a COG MEET n GREET n EAT. There will be hot hearty stew and other great food. Also, Bob has many moto CD for our viewing pleasure. PLEASE call Bob and Patty at 434-806-7620 if you know or think you are coming. You can also get GOOD directions from the guy who knows.  The gurls is most welcome!

I'm driving the New Frontier (sounds somehow political).Ride your mo'sickle, cage, skate board, whatever. If you want a more "riding experience", plug your Gerbing into the cigar lighter and put the windows down. Hang a hand out the window till you can't feel it. Now we're talking!

Hope to see you tomorrow at Bob and Patty's  :great:

klrider said:
********The COG Ride at Gordonsville is CANCELLED**********

Geez -- and I was planning on going. 

Really.  Sure.    Trust me, I woulda been there.

OK, no way I was going, but mostly because Andy the Super Puppy tore a ligament in his hind leg and went in for knee surgery.  The poor guy is now confined to bed and limited to three 5 min slow walks a day for the next 6 weeks.  For Andy the Super Dog (aka Mr Excitable) this is gonna be tough, and considering he is 115lbs, REALLY tough on Cindy!

05:30. It's 23 and snowing pretty good here, porch is covered.  :(

Roger and Tommy, if you picked up something new, bring it along for a 'sneak peak'. Dusty, sorry the boy is ill; yeah, we are set back a lot when our best friends are sick. For a rambunctious dog (we know) sedation is the word. For the dog, that is.  ;D

Guy, got those studs on? Clyde coming?

Sharry wants to see that RR tunnel. And the rest of the hole in the wall gang, too. Hope to see y'all at Bob's.

Very true, Russell. Sorry, I won't be able to attend Crabcakes.

Hope you have much better wx than last year and have fun!

klrider said:
05:30. It's 23 and snowing pretty good here, porch is covered.  :(

Roger and Tommy, if you picked up something new, bring it along for a 'sneak peak'. Dusty, sorry the boy is ill; yeah, we are set back a lot when our best friends are sick. For a rambunctious dog (we know) sedation is the word. For the dog, that is.  ;D

Guy, got those studs on? Clyde coming?

Sharry wants to see that RR tunnel. And the rest of the hole in the wall gang, too. Hope to see y'all at Bob's.

I decided to stay put. If I'd had the studded tires mounted, I might have gone. I need to re-lace a front wheel for the KLR to where the studded front will reside, but just didn't have the time to get it done.

Am looking forward to the Crab Cakes ride and am really hoping the weather will cooperate this year, The crab cakes at Woody's are to die for. None better that I have found anywhere.