• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

Got hit by a semi on a back road...

firstsage

First off, I am fine. No injuries save being sore and a bruise on my knee.
You can see pictures here
To keep it short, it is a two lane road with a turning lane in the middle. Semi pulled straight into the turning lane, no right signal.
I pulled to the far right of the lane near. Speed limit is 35mph, i was doing between 35 and 40. As I got closer to the semi, he started to turn right. I put on the breaks but could not stop in time. He was using both the middle and my lane.  ???    :mad:
I tried making the right hand turn hoping he would be a bit wide or that I could get down the road a bit, but neither happened.  :truce:
Cops came and cited the driver for no turn signal and no proof of insurance.
The adjuster came this morning and said that he does not think the bike will be a total loss, but wants my shop to pull off the plastics so he can take a closer look.  :motonoises:
Hopefully it will be up and running soon.

Jon

So sorry to hear this!  More glad that you are mostly OK, especially given what could have happened in that situation!!  Hope you ride turns out to be OK also!

MAN OF BLUES said:
link to your pictures seems corrupted... I get warnings it isn't secure.... please fix.

They are hosted on a private server with a self-signed cert. The error saying its not secure is because of that, vs paying godaddy, or verisign $100 a year to say that my server is mine.

You can also pull them from Google if you like. Just might be slower.

That sucks
I always try to avoid being on either side of semis. They always seam to swing wide no matter which way they are turning signal light or not. Not trying to make excuses for the driver just an observation.

It's actually WAY faster through the Google link.  Those are some pretty horrifying pictures, Jon.  I am REALLY glad you weren't just ground under the rear tandems because it sure looks like a near thing.

But this was a Crash, not a Drop.  The intent of the Award is to recognize that Connie is an inherently top-heavy girl and you need to be careful with her both in parking lots and at a standstill; everyone's already aware that running into a semi is a bad thing.  ::)

And so I'm happy to announce that you do NOT qualify for the uncoveted CDA Award this time.  The CDA FAQ specifies Less than 5 mph (aka parking lot speed) and you're definitely over the limit.  Your incident is a Crash, not a Drop.  Don't worry though, most of us will encounter a Drop sooner or later.

----------------------------------------------------------

Drop definition:  List to be amended as needed.
1) Bike must be either at a stop or, if moving, then moving at less than 5 mph (aka parking lot speed). 
2) Some part of the bike (besides the tires) must touch the ground OR the bike is damaged by hitting something on the way down. 
3) Concours only. 
4) No crashes. 
5) COG members only - must have a COG #.

LSGiant said:
That sucks
I always try to avoid being on either side of semis. They always seam to swing wide no matter which way they are turning signal light or not. Not trying to make excuses for the driver just an observation.

Yeah, thats why I went to the opposite side of the road... While I watched him pull into the lane, I thought he was making a left turn. Not because of lights, but because of the approach. The approach he took to make a right hand turn was completely off...
From now on, always waiting for semi's to do their thing before I continue on..  :truce:

ChipDoc said:
It's actually WAY faster through the Google link.  Those are some pretty horrifying pictures, Jon.  I am REALLY glad you weren't just ground under the rear tandems because it sure looks like a near thing.

But this was a Crash, not a Drop.  The intent of the Award is to recognize that Connie is an inherently top-heavy girl and you need to be careful with her both in parking lots and at a standstill; everyone's already aware that running into a semi is a bad thing.  ::)

And so I'm happy to announce that you do NOT qualify for the uncoveted CDA Award this time.  The CDA FAQ specifies Less than 5 mph (aka parking lot speed) and you're definitely over the limit.  Your incident is a Crash, not a Drop.  Don't worry though, most of us will encounter a Drop sooner or later.

Good to know. Google has always been slower for me... Yeah I am really glad I didnt end up underneath as well. Buddy asked me why i didnt just lay it down and slide, and that was the reason. I thought that if I did, that I would end up under the rear tandems.
Got it, not a drop! I was a bit worried that I would have that badge.... I have not dropped her in the last year and a half. Been close a couple of times but was able to muscle her back upright.

Called my machanic today, to prep him for the work that I am going to lay on top of what he already has... Hoping he can get me in soon and get my back on two wheels... Its been a bit over a week and I am itching for a fix  :motonoises:

Jon

dan4aspen said:
So sorry to hear this!  More glad that you are mostly OK, especially given what could have happened in that situation!!  Hope you ride turns out to be OK also!

Sgt Mac said:
Sucks, glad you're ok.

Thanks Dan and Sgt! One way or another, I'll be back on two wheels soon.

Jon

Glad you were not more injured.
Give yourself a pat on the back for that.  :sign0098:  :motonoises:
Yes it could have been more ugly.

Nice rig that guy was driving... NOT :steeringwheel: Glad it wasn't any worse for you. Figures, no insurance certificate.

Jon said:
Thanks Dan and Sgt! One way or another, I'll be back on two wheels soon.

Jon

When you get up and running again, you should cruise up Wolf Creek to Hanna and have lunch at the Hilton. I definitely miss that place and the Shooting Star in Huntsville on the way back from Monte Critso. Oh...and Mirror Lake and Mink Creek up in Idaho and Alpine Loop and Energy Loop....man I miss riding there.

Sgt Mac said:
When you get up and running again, you should cruise up Wolf Creek to Hanna and have lunch at the Hilton. I definitely miss that place and the Shooting Star in Huntsville on the way back from Monte Critso. Oh...and Mirror Lake and Mink Creek up in Idaho and Alpine Loop and Energy Loop....man I miss riding there.

Yes, those are some awesome rides! There are a couple here that I have not done yet though.... I'll have to get those in soon. I am moving to St George, UT next summer. I'll have all new roads to go play on!  >:D