• Can't post after logging to the forum for the first time... Try Again - If you can't post in the forum, sign out of both the membership site and the forum and log in again. Make sure your COG membership is active and your browser allow cookies. If you still can't post, contact the COG IT guy at IT@Concours.org.
  • IF YOU GET 404 ERROR: This may be due to using a link in a post from prior to the web migration. Content was brought over from the old forum as is, but the links may be in error. If the link contains "cog-online.org" it is an old link and will not work.

GPS mounting

Weg3111

Training Wheels
I'm new here and have only had my 09 Concours for a couple weeks now. I'm trying to decide how I'm going to mount my GPS to my bike and have a few questions and I'm curious as to how others are doing it. I have found a few GPS threads but nothing specific to mounting so I hope I don't beat a dead horse here.

First off, I have a Tom Tom Go 720 and as I am spending enough on bike extras these days, thats what I'm going to use for now. I have a question about the GPS brackets that mount in between the handle bars. Kawasaki makes one but I also saw some at Projektd.com. Do these mounts work with raised handle bars? I'm thinking about the bolt length. The brackets come with bolts and the risers come with bolts but if you combine the two? That's my main question. I've got all the Ram mount parts except a ball for the base to attach to the GPS bracket. I might have to drill a hole in the bracket for that. I guess I won't know that till I have both parts in hand. Maybe the cradle itself will bolt directly to it. Then there is always the handy stick. Not my preferred method.

I just sent my seat out to Spencer in Florida to get the seat modded so I won't be able to ride for a couple weeks. Might as well do some add on stuff.

I use a center mounted Tech Mount on top of risers.  I works well for me and I like it on my 2010.  I bought this stuff used but I think it came from Murph's Kits.  8)

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=56&products_id=308
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=11&products_id=282

I use the simple ball mount on the left bar wher a 'std' mirror would mount.
For safety consideration IMO a center mount above the dash shelf is better as you still have your eyes looking fwd and allows a quick glance down and back to the road.

The ball mount of course will work. There is a couple of spots to mount it. One of course being up on the bars near the controls. Some like the right side. Some the left. You could also use a Ram mount between the bars. Even if you use risers, KB risers I know for sure has a Ram ball option for that purpouse. Just be sure to install the ball in the risers before you mount the risers. It makes it a lot easier.
Then there's the more rigid, between the bars mounts. The Projekdt D unit works fine. But it is a rigid design which doesn't allow for much adjusting.
So like BJ, I went with the center mount Techmount. I found the Techmount to be a really quality piece. Plus unlike the projekt D. The Techmount is very adjustable. IMO, I found the quality and adjust-ability to way above the other mounts out there. It is the one piece that looks like it came or belongs on the bike. And once you see the mount, you'll feel better about the price. Because the Techmount isn't cheap. But again, IMO, it's worth the money!

Yeah, the techmount looks nice. I hope the ram mount cradle for my TomTom would work on it.

BBAR said:
The ball mount of course will work. There is a couple of spots to mount it. One of course being up on the bars near the controls. Some like the right side. Some the left. You could also use a Ram mount between the bars. Even if you use risers, KB risers I know for sure has a Ram ball option for that purpouse. Just be sure to install the ball in the risers before you mount the risers. It makes it a lot easier.
Then there's the more rigid, between the bars mounts. The Projekdt D unit works fine. But it is a rigid design which doesn't allow for much adjusting.
So like BJ, I went with the center mount Techmount. I found the Techmount to be a really quality piece. Plus unlike the projekt D. The Techmount is very adjustable. IMO, I found the quality and adjust-ability to way above the other mounts out there. It is the one piece that looks like it came or belongs on the bike. And once you see the mount, you'll feel better about the price. Because the Techmount isn't cheap. But again, IMO, it's worth the money!

Agree with BBAR on all of the above. I have the Techmount which is a quality piece. Good luck.

I've had success with a RAM ball mounted on a replacement steering stem nut. I got mine from Motorcycle Larry. A minor problem is the replacement nut is a peculiar metric size, needing (I think) a 26mm long-reach socket. Another problem is the 'CO1400TCNUT' seems to be discontinued. ???